Lysander sliding panel - need info or pics

hendie

Does anybody have any information regarding the sliding panel underneath the Lysander fuselage ?

I have found many references to it but no clear photographs to help me determine how it was configured, such as was the panel fitted inside or outside the fuselage, were the rails inside or outside the fuselage etc.

On all the walk-rounds and examples I can find, this panel seems to have been removed.

I have a few drawings showing position and (I think) extents of travel but nothing definitive as to how it operated

oh, any other details on the underside would be appreciated

IIRC the sliding window was installed on the Mk. I only, the later marks did not have it. I have a handful of Lysander reference books, but there is no photo of the sliding panel in these books. The only reference that shows a detail of this part is an old Wylam drawing.

I'm willing to e-mail you a scan of the drawing if you give me your e-mail address.

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

Jun, thanks for the offer but I already have copies of those drawings.

The 4+ Lysander book has a photo on page 7 of Lysander Mk II's at Patricia Bay, BC where it looks like there is a sliding panel mounted externally just below the gunner position. The photo is not of great quality so it's difficult to tell with any degree of accuracy.

However on page 23 of the same publication it states: Note the ventral sliding panel, angular-type carburetor intake and bigger oil cooler intakes of the Mk II.

<From The Dent collection. Any use.

<John

That is a camera port, not a sliding panel. Found this in the IWM photo collection at http://media.iwm.org.uk/iwm/mediaLib/50/media-50859/large.jpg?action=d&cat=photographs.

And there is a detailed photo of the camera ports on page 181 of MMMS Orange Series No. 8103 Westland Lysander.

Jun in Tokyo

I know the vertical camera port has a sliding cover as described in the Pilot's Note for Mk. III, but I am tolking about a larger sliding panel on the center line which is shown in Wylum and MAP drawings.

Jun in Tokyo

I have the Wylam drawings and the Scale Models ones are loose in one of my folders. I also have the magazine including drawings so to save me hours of rummaging can someone tell me the date of the Scale Models with the Lysander drawings in.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Hi John,

I see another opening (?) under a letter S, but cannot see a sliding panel.

For your reference, I am posting scans of Wylam and MAP Drawings under fair use. I will delete these images as soon as you check them.

Hope this will save your time.

Jun in Tokyo

Edited by Junchan

Thank you Jun

However I would still like the date of the Scale models magazine. I've found the Wylam book but his drawings of European subjects are very suspect. Wylam suggests a crew boarding ladder in the ventral hatch.which makes sense but it's something that I've not seen illustrated.

John

Hi John,

I see another opening (?) under a letter S, but cannot see a sliding panel.

For your reference, I am posting scans of Wylam and MAP Drawings under fair use. I will delete these images as soon as you check them.

Hope this will save your time.

Jun in Tokyo

This opening is the area of the rearwards sliding panel You can just make out the nearest rail fairing. which finishes just before the camera hatch. However I think the panel it's self has been torn off in the crash, The main fuel tank occupies the area just forwards of this hatch in the centre fuselage. Wylam drawings are often highly dimensioned but these dimensions bear no truth to the real aircraft. The first Aurora and Airfix Spitfires and ME 109's were made to Wylam dimensioned drawings. I have the actual books form the old Haldane place.

John