P-40's all at sea!

charlie_c67

Hi, Charlie c67

Judging by the style of USAAF national markings most of the photos had been taken during Operation Torch. Others originate from several Pacific campaigns, during which land based fighters had been ferried by carriers to newly liberated or taken airfields. Otherwise, my personal favorites are landings at Mariana's, where P-47Ds had been flown off CVE USS Manilla Bay to still not fully secured Saipan airfields. Cheers

Jure

While perusing another site I found a link to this Portuguese site that has several interesting collections of photos, including this one!

Spam site link removed

This spammer is back! This has been reported to the Authorities!

Chris

Most of those images are from Torch and the keen eyed will note that most of the aircraft are Merlin engined P-40Fs. I always thought the Torch colour schemes make nice modelling subjects. The Airfile book series has produced a terrific reference on Torch with some great profile drawings.

Spammer? What on earth are you talking about?

The guy who runs this website is a well know spammer. He signs up to each modelling forum and immediately posts links to his site, whichever page it might be, but the 'aircraft at sea' is a favourite one. He's been banned for every forum multiple times.

Hi Julien,

The site you linked to is notorious for the advertising its owner does on other sites, often using someone else's name. He's been kicked off other sites, but turns up as an innocent observer telling folks what a great site he's discovered - that alone is reason not to trust him. The corker for me is that the first time I logged onto his site, my e-mail was soon flooded with ads that I'd never gotten before, suggesting that he's so persistent because he's selling addresses. Others have had similar experiences.

Cheers,

Dana

Edited by Dana Bell

He takes images from other sites and publications but doesn't give credit to the site owners, authors, etc. None of the material is new or especially extraordinary. He never ever joins in on the discussion that follow his postings. This is the latest of at least 8 usernames he has employed in just the last few years.There may be more, but I've lost track.

Chris

I think to be fair to Charlie, it is a link he has put up in innocence & with the best intentions The first thing I did was look at his post count which is not that of a newly joined spammer. He will now understand the reaction he got. Sorry Charlie. :(

Steve.

• Like 4

Thanks for the info Gents. While the guy who runs the site might be a spammer I doubt charlie_c67 is. He looks to have been a site member for 2 years now. Perhaps an inocent post by hm that he has found this site?

I doubt someone would join up only to spam 2 years down the line, whilst in that time posting up model builds and asking genuine questions.

JUlien

• Like 2

I didn't check the post count, so, my mistake. Sorry for that. It's just that the South American spammer has used so many different usernames, posted with the same link, I just assumed he was trying again. He recently reappeared on Hyperscale, where he's been banned at least four times in the last few years, always rejoining under a different name.

Chris

He takes images from other sites and publications but doesn't give credit to the site owners, authors, etc. None of the material is new or especially extraordinary.

This part at least making him not so different from several others doing the same crummy thing. Anyone objecting to their behaviour is looked at askance but this guy, doing the same thing, seems to draw flak.

Oddly. the others' personal popularity seems to insulate them from objections. I guess it's sometimes who you know rather than what you do . . .

I'm not so sure there is a lot to be gained by visiting these sites anyway. One of my father's pictures (a very smart F-86D) was stolen from a respected blog where I had submitted it for comment. Turns out is was really an L model but at least three of these aggregators had taken the picture but not the discussion. Anyone making a model as a D loses - there is some justice, perhaps.

I am wondering about identifying him as a seller of e-mail addresses. How can one tell?

All that being said, there isn't a lot to be got from any of those sites that can't be found with a little googling. Isn't the pursuit half the fun?

Edited for grammar(!)

Edited by RJP

Thanks for the apologies chaps, the link was provided in all good faith with no intention to mis-lead or not give credit where it's due. Whilst I had known of an issue with people of this sort on here before, the lack of such posts on here in recent times coupled with the fact I found the link on a computer gaming forum meant I did not realise what sort of a site it was.

It's a shame people feel the need to do such things as I personally hadn't even considered navilised P-40's, let alone seen any pics on the subject. Hearing that the provider is a spammer kinda takes the shine off the discovery somewhat.

• Like 3

Thanks, charlie_c67. I really should have checked you out first, before crying wolf. I have looked at this guy's postings a few times in the past, before discovering what he does, and I wasn't really that impressed by what he had. Most of the images were of moderate to poor quality and most I had seen before. Then I found out that he was trawling through the Internet, picking up images from wherever, claiming his discoveries but not giving credit, especially for artwork. There is another American aviation/modelling forum that I occasionally visit where he started posting. I gave a warning and was almost banned. They all love his stuff! I've seen pages of discussion follow his postings but he never ever joins in. I have heard he actually gets money for the number of times that people check out his blog site.

From now on, I'll check out the poster's history before I sound the alarm.

Chris

• Like 2

From now on, I'll check out the poster's history before I sound the alarm.

It's wise to do that. I have posted (and regularly do) links to my website and have been accused of being a spammer before, but I'm far from it.

As for the P-40s, they weren't navalised; they were regular old USAAF P-40s that were flown from the carrier because they were transported as deck cargo in support of the Torch invasion, like the RAF Spits and Hurricanes that were flown from the carrier Argus for delivery to Malta. In saying that however, there was a navalised P-40 built as a prototype, but of course, the US Navy didn't want liquid cooled engines on its carriers.

Because there are pictures of P-40's with a tail hook of some description.

Where? And please don't say they are on the blogger/spammer's link, as I'm not going there to look.

Chris

I'm pretty sure that is correct re a hold back device. The carrier born P-40s have appeared on this forum before, even before they became unwelcome & I seem to recall discussion about the hold back devices then.

Steve.