Source for WW1 1/72 german cross decals?

Howlindawg

Well it looks like I've been a complete numpty and have managed to destroy one of the decals on my fokker Dr.1.

Can anyone suggest a source for replacements?

I have absolutely no idea where to begin to look.

Decal is 12mm across and of the style shown in the pic below.

2016-08-25-20.25.jpg

Thanks,

Martin

If it's Richtofen's 425/17 that you are building, which, it looks like it might be, you could just paint them; the crosses were a simple black cross with a white border, not of the style supplied with the kit anyway. See here: http://warbirdswalkaround.wixsite.com/warbirds/fokker-dr-i-walkaround and here for more Jasta 1 Dr Is http://warbirdswalkaround.wixsite.com/warbirds/dr-i-gallery

The Vintage Aviator (TVAL) rework of a Dr I reproduction. (TVAL is the full scale arm of Wingnut Wings!)

Edited by nuuumannn
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the replies.

From the images I can't tell if the Hannants decals have the white borders.

I'll drop them an email and see what they say.

Will check out freightdog and see what they have available.

Yes it's the clichéd Richtofen version :)

Hmmm.... so I've gone from replacing one decal to replacing them all to the correct type for a 1918 aircraft.

I might just put this one down to a learning experience and go with the easy option. ;)

In that case, Martin, you might as well go for the right decals, then. Take a look here if you want more detail on his triplanes, although it should be 425/17, not '18. http://www.fineartofdecals.com/goodies/manfred-von-richthofens-dr-is/

There are Dr I decals available on ebay with the right crosses for the period, even though the markings might not be specifically for 425/17, such as this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Rider-Decals-1-72-FOKKER-Dr-I-TRIPLANE-JASTA-19-/131806001077?hash=item1eb03ff7b5

Good luck with the model.

Edited by nuuumannn

Well it looks like I've been a complete numpty and have managed to destroy one of the decals on my fokker Dr.1.

Can anyone suggest a source for replacements?

I have absolutely no idea where to begin to look.

Decal is 12mm across and of the style shown in the pic below.

2016-08-25-20.25.jpg

Thanks,

Martin

I can't like this but it looks like your 3 winged menace is nearly done and looking great. :D Did you consider doing a WIP with this one Mart?

Good luck with the decals. I have some black cross decals but from a different war. If they might be of use let me know.

John.

Did you consider doing a WIP with this one Mart?

Hi John,

I did consider a WIP but decided against it for two reasons.
1] I reckoned it was going to be a straight forward OOTB that everyone had already seen before
2] I knew there were going to be long periods of no progress during the build
so reckoned it'd probably be a bit bland to follow.
I did keep pics along the way so I do have a record of the build.
Right up to the point where I secured the top wing with masking tape - right over the un-lacquered decal with the above result. (* Bangs head off table *)
  • Like 1

Glad it's all sorted Mart.

I'd have loved to have seen this come together. I think even out of the box builds, especially if your making one too are interesting. As everyone builds/paints in a different way, but each to their own I guess. As long as your having fun, that's all that matters.

Take care bud.

John. :)

I'd have loved to have seen this come together. I think even out of the box builds, especially if your making one too are interesting.

TBH - I wish I had done a WIP John - I'd probably have achieved a better result and enjoyed it more if I had.

I won't make the same mistake next time. :)