1/72 Revell Me P.1101 Nightfighter

Today I started masking on the tail for the RLM 74:

P1140481_zpsalbzjsyu.jpg

The masking for the rest of the plane looked like this:

P1140482_zpsobwlslug.jpg

There was a mark on the wing (a fingerprint I think) that I had dressed before but it was still somewhat visible so I gave that a light sanding:

P1140483_zpsns07pa5m.jpg

Here is the RLM 74 applied along with some Alclad "Steel" on the missiles:

P1140484_zpsa5qeuvwv.jpg

I inspected the paint and found that although the mark was gone the paint had pulled away from some of the panel lines in an odd way:

P1140485_zps4dv4xzxn.jpg

I decided to press on, I think after a panel line wash and possibly a bit of hand retouching it won't be visible.

Here's how it looked with most of the masking removed:

P1140486_zps09xyjv96.jpg

When the grey was dry I masked up for the black nightfighter under surfaces:

P1140487_zps47sihz3o.jpg

Note I crudely masked the front wheel bay as that still needs some RLM 02 and I didn't want it all black in there.

Here is the upper surface masking:

P1140488_zpsuwgvql6g.jpg

Here is the black applied along with the unmasked missiles:

P1140489_zpsinyu1fhx.jpg

I decided to go for pure black although the instructions state "Anthracite" as I think a coat of matt varnish tends to mute black to a degree.

Here are the main gear doors after removing the masking:

P1140490_zpsp2kybl7h.jpg

I then removed most of the masking to reveal this:

P1140491_zpsnurto48y.jpg

I didn't remove the masking from the wings as that could play a role in the mottling to come:

P1140492_zps7alz5bnk.jpg

The final thing to do before mottling was to apply a square of paper using a tiny blob of white tack as a demarcation of where the swastikas will go:

P1140493_zps5wgzgioc.jpg

I could have used tape but I thought it would be better to have  it proud of the surface to avoid creating any hard lines.

The final job of the day was to take a brave pill, fit my airbrush with a 0.2mm nozzle, have a little practice and get on with the mottling, including on the radar antennas:

P1140494_zpscltincdm.jpg

I know others can do better but I'm reasonably pleased with how it came out. I only have the morning tomorrow but hopefully I will get the gloss coat on and maybe some decals.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 13

Looking good Nigel .  

Look what showed up today , Wife says Im a spoiled Bratt. I said its all Nigel's fault . She says let me talk to Nigel. I said OK hes in Scotland . She  go , O  that Nigel. I said How many Nigels do I know , WIll The baby dog is name Nigel . He is actually 2 years old 

Rick 

E9222A41-FA2A-403F-B1D5-EB0115BAE901.jpg

Here is Niggie checking out the new smoker 

001_8.jpg

• Like 4

I did get a tiny amount done last Sunday before heading to the airport (where I ended up waiting for six hours as my plane was delayed by four hours). Instead of applying the gloss coat I decided to mask up the front wheel well ready for some RLM 02:

P1140495_zpsdijguhol.jpg

Here's how that came out:

P1140496_zps46a7dxtd.jpg

And that's it. Next steps are to remove the masking and apply the first gloss coat. I may get back to this in a few weeks time.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Back in Aberdeen this weekend I have moved this build a little further forward. Here is the front gear bay after removing all the masking:

P1140588_zpscggonoew.jpg

All these parts have decals going on them so I gave them a coat of Alclad Aqua Gloss in readiness:

P1140587_zpsretmolor.jpg

The crosses on the underside of the wings turned out to be rather larger than indicated on the instructions so I compensated somewhat by moving them further inboard than instructed

P1140589_zpse9qfhhfm.jpg

Note that the panel lines on the instructions in many cases don't align with the ones of the kit which doesn't do any favours with decal placement.

Perhaps unsurprisingly the upper wing crosses had exactly the same issues:

P1140590_zps1smu53o3.jpg

These rings straddle the fuselage and main gear doors and had to be cut before application:

P1140591_zps81nxujwd.jpg

Here they are applied:

P1140592_zpsxagme7zq.jpg

The registration of the white on this shield decal was quite poor so I trimmed off the excess with scissors (see also the black and white decal above):

P1140593_zpspiiudscb.jpg

Looking again maybe it was supposed to be like that but it didn't look right to me (the blue also looks a bit out of register too though).

This is as far as I've got with the decals, I think I've done more than half so should get them finished tomorrow. The crosses on the fuselage also straddle a gear door and will have to be cut. I did actually soak this one before realising the problem but it will have dried out in the morning for another go:

P1140594_zpsf3kgg1sr.jpg

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 8

This morning I finished off the decals, in the end I decided I didn't have to cut the fuselage cross, I just trimmed off a corner of the carrier film next to the gear opening:

P1140595_zpsgsu37iof.jpg

After applying another coat of Aqua Gloss I used a thinned Paynes Grey oil paint to give the panel lines a wash:

P1140596_zpsr9cswmaa.jpg

Here are the finished lines:

P1140597_zpsr7zdmfyk.jpg

Now I could remove the masking from the engine. It had been a little worry bead, leaving the Blu Tack on for so long, but it all came away without too much resistance and there was no staining evident:

P1140598_zpsunydiwns.jpg

Now everything is ready for final assembly but my plan is to take this back with me down South and finish it off there (all my superglue is there for starters).

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 9

This morning I completed the final assembly of the remaining parts, finishing with the radar aerials and DF loop which are uber fragile:

P1140620_zpshuji3yu0.jpg

That was then followed with a coat of lightly misted on W & N matt varnish and the unmasking of the canopy:

P1140621_zps1dmk7fet.jpg

I then took a load of RFI shots before I realised I had forgotten the pitot tube. That was quickly knocked up from 0.3 and 0.5 nickel silver tube and added with a dab of Gator Grip:

P1140630_zpsbmvcq0kn.jpg

That's it done, the RFI photos can be found here as the insert link function is not working:

Bye,

Nigel

• Like 11

Looks great Nigel.

One question from the RFI pics.  Did the gunsite lay down on the job or is it just the way it looks in the pic?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigel Heath said:

Thanks Philp, the gunsite has unfortunately flopped down, I only discovered this on removing the masking.

Hate it when that happens.

Still, another great looking build Nigel.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...