1/72 P-38 Lightning ; Academy kit .

Hello folks , assembled this kit a couple of months back . This is the academy kit and it goes together really well . The entire model is brush painted , the NMF being Gunze Mr Metal colour Aluminium which has been buffed . The red and olive drab bits are revell acrylic which are really good to brush paint with as they level off nicely. The nature of the Mr Metal colour NMF is such that any clear coat will severely affect the finish so a downside is the decals have to be left either unsealed or you can apply klear as I did and ignore the 'smudge'.

I added what I assumed considerable amount of nose weight but it still a tail sitter.

WP_20160523_16_35_37_Pro_zps4exujhml.jpg

WP_20160523_16_35_03_Pro_zps8dcilays.jpg

WP_20160523_16_34_43_Pro_zpsbbkmk9tz.jpg

WP_20160523_16_34_05_Pro_zps5qc1kvew.jpg

Edited by Basuroy
  • Like 22

Interesting model.

But I think you had a little problem with the front undercarriage;

it should point forward, but yours is pointing backwards.

I think you simply should reverse it and it's done.

• Like 1

That is an absolutely wonderful natural metal finish, especially considering it's brushed on. It really does look like it's made of metal which seems, for me at least, so difficult to do (mine is usually applied to the Lightning too, of the English Electric variety though).

• Like 1

I've got an Academy P-38 in the stash

I hope mine turns out as well as yours!

Great metal finish and I know they're not easy to achieve.

Thanks for the tip on making sure there's plenty of weight in the nose of the beast.......much appreciated!

Lovely build well done!

• Like 2

Appreciate the kind words everyone :) , I will get the landing gear sorted .

Regarding the metal finish , I use this paint - Gunze Mr Metal colour aluminium (not to be confused with gunze super metallic which are for airbrush ) . They cost about 6$ a bottle from Hong Kong and a single bottle can be used for three 1/72 scale airplanes - say one p-38 and two p-47 to give you an idea how economical it is .

After shaking the bottle , dab a brush in the paint and let the paint dry for 30-60 seconds . Scrub the paint on the plastic in a circular motion . Immediately after brushing it on , buff it with a tissue paper . There is an issue with the aluminium shade specifically - it can be buffed off the surface and also rubs off on handling . However the chrome (which also is a nice NMF shade ) and other shades like steel etc are bulletproof and don't rub off . One should wear a face mask because when buffing , microscopic metal particles get airborne .

Never apply the paint wet , it results in a clumpy finish that is near impossible to buff or even out .

The finish depends on the quality of the plastic surface , the smoother it is , the better the finish . The academy kits have very smooth surface hence the shiny finish .

• Like 2

Thank you very much for these technical informations.

Your finish is beautiful and very realistic.

I always use, as for almost 50 years the good old Humbrol #11 (silver) tinlet.

Either brush painted or air brushed, I have always been very satisfied with the results.

But you have to take your time; if you rush you will ruin your final finish.

But I must say, I am really from the"old school".

I wish a good day to all the B Modellers.

Cheers. Polo.

• Like 1