1/48 Pathfinder - Tamiya Mosquito B.IX

On 14/02/2020 at 20:22, JasonC said:

so now it's back to those target indicators. I've refined them a little to better resemble the few photos that are out there.

As far as I can gather they had a 1/2" red band, 8" from the nose (to indicate explosive contents) and possibly another to indicate the colour of the marker.

the chap for these details  is @Selwyn

On 09/02/2020 at 14:25, JasonC said:

although the Merlin installation in the Mossie seems to have been prone to some fairly heavy staining on occasion!

Merlins are famed for leaking oil, any plane with one will have oil streaking after use....

Really enjoying the little detail touches on this, very informative, like the Oboe attenna.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Really enjoying the little detail touches on this, very informative, like the Oboe attenna.

Thanks Troy. It was surprisingly difficult to find any illustrations of the actual physical installation of the Oboe system. The best photos I've found (and they're not great) are in 'Mosquito Thunder' by Stuart R Scott, which show the fairings on the B.XVI. I made two trips to Kew digging through various Mosquito files with limited success - lots of correspondence and interesting technical detail, not so much to show how it actually looked. I did however manage to find a reference to the length of the antenna, so I'm fairly confident on the depth of the fairing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

the chap for these details  is @Selwyn

Merlins are famed for leaking oil, any plane with one will have oil streaking after use....

Colour sceme for the TI bombs is quite close. They were black overall  red band 8" from nose and a  1"coloured ring immediately behind the point of the nose indicating the colour of the TI (Red Green or Yellow).

Selwyn

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Colour sceme for the TI bombs is quite close. They were black overall  red band 8" from nose and a  1"coloured ring immediately behind the point of the nose indicating the colour of the TI (Red Green or Yellow).

Selwyn

Super, thanks. Shouldn't be too hard to add the coloured band. 

Top work as always Jason. 

I tried finding some info on the oboe installation a few years back and came up with nothing so it’s good to see that you’ve found something. 

Im also planning on building an Oboe equipped mkxvi for the upcoming journeys end gb so will be using this thread as part of my references. 

Look forward to more progress. 

James

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Top work as always Jason. 

I tried finding some info on the oboe installation a few years back and came up with nothing so it’s good to see that you’ve found something. 

Im also planning on building an Oboe equipped mkxvi for the upcoming journeys end gb so will be using this thread as part of my references. 

Look forward to more progress. 

James

Thanks James. I'd recommend 'Mosquito Thunder', since it has pretty much the only images I've found showing the external Oboe antenna (on B.XVI's as it happens). It's fairly cheap on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mosquito-Thunder-No-105-Squadron-1942-45/dp/0750918004/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=mosquito+thunder&qid=1583675733&sr=8-1

Also see this document. There is an image on p.22 showing the antenna, unfortunately not from the best angle.

http://www.rquirk.com/cdnradar/cor/chapter13.pdf

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, JasonC said:

Thanks James. I'd recommend 'Mosquito Thunder', since it has pretty much the only images I've found showing the external Oboe antenna (on B.XVI's as it happens). It's fairly cheap on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mosquito-Thunder-No-105-Squadron-1942-45/dp/0750918004/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=mosquito+thunder&qid=1583675733&sr=8-1

Also see this document. There is an image on p.22 showing the antenna, unfortunately not from the best angle.

http://www.rquirk.com/cdnradar/cor/chapter13.pdf

Thanks for the links Jason

Mosquito Thunder has been ordered. 

James

• Like 1