1/48 Pathfinder - Tamiya Mosquito B.IX

24 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

What paint mix did you use Jason? They certainly look right.

A slightly random selection! A mix of Games Workshop Mephiston Red and Vallejo Flat Earth for the Dull Red, and Vallejo Air Deep Sky, Vallejo French Mirage Blue, and Black for the blue.

49277606858_8189679f47_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/12/2019 at 17:57, woody37 said:

Looking great Jason and this resurrection has reminded that I’ve got a set of your lovely Mossie nacelles so really need to dig them out and stick them to a model :)

On 05/12/2019 at 18:27, franky boy said:

Nice work Jason

Good to see this one back. I still have two of those lovely 2 stage merlin sets to play with. 

Look forward to to more progress. 

James

Considering the number of nacelles out there, I’ve only seen one kit completed, and that’s Jamie’s, who’s flogging the things! Get to it chaps!

J.

• Like 2

And the fuselage roundels. A little touch up needed around the strengthening strake, but hopefully that's the trickiest masking job out of the way.

49282425182_04ecf7a0d2_c.jpg

49282218036_4f7c45ff4e_c.jpg

• Like 13

On 24/12/2019 at 15:42, JasonC said:

I broke out the Silhouette Portrait cutter (that was bought about 18 months ago!) and got up to speed with how to run the thing. Having done so I ran off a set of masks for the larger markings. The letter on the nose now sprayed (in Sky).

49269251171_eb673fa6d7_b.jpg

lovely work there, what masking sheet did you use here? 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, OutcastJoel said:

lovely work there, what masking sheet did you use here? 

Thanks. It's the vinyl sheet that came bundled with the cutter. Unbranded, so not entirely sure about the manufacturer. If it helps, it came from the shop below, so likely one of the types they sell:

https://www.craft-robo.de/

Sorry I can't be more specific.

regards,

Jason 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, keith in the uk said:

Errrrrr according to Modelling the Mosquito by Roy Sutherland page 13 The Tamiya tail is too tall. 

Already fixed, can't you tell? 😉

On 26/12/2019 at 13:24, JasonC said:

Upper wing roundels done! For lack of out of the bottle options, both colours were homebrew mixes.

I didn't like the pillar box red on some Airfix decals, I used Vallejo Panzer aces 301 Light Rust for the red.

for comparison,  under natural light, repainted, Airfix decals, RAF Museum chip and the Vallejo I used. 

I often paint a band of the Vallejo round the lid for reference

47324893582_d4345b4452_b.jpg&key=b602744

Not the most scientific match, and on the model the red look light, but the rest of the model is Kleer glossed and the red is matt.  Looks better when all matt coated.

Great work on the Mosquito @JasonC  and fascinating the personal connection and research.

HTH

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

I didn't like the pillar box red on some Airfix decals, I used Vallejo Panzer aces 301 Light Rust for the red.

for comparison,  under natural light, repainted, Airfix decals, RAF Museum chip and the Vallejo I used. 

I often paint a band of the Vallejo round the lid for reference

Not the most scientific match, and on the model the red look light, but the rest of the model is Kleer glossed and the red is matt.  Looks better when all matt coated.

Great work on the Mosquito @JasonC  and fascinating the personal connection and research.

HTH

Thanks Troy. That Panzer Aces colour looks like a good option, I shall keep an eye open for it.

J.

Squadron codes next. Again with a homebrew mix for Sky. In this case Vallejo Ivory (70.918), Vallejo Deck Tan (70.986), and Vallejo Panzer Aces USMC Tank Crew Highlight (70.323)

49287965402_a7e1b197fd_c.jpg

49287965652_af0b0b7f62_c.jpg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, JasonC said:

Again with a homebrew mix for Sky.

Vallejo 70.885 pastel green is slightly lighter and greyer than the RAF museum chip,  

It's quoted as FS 34424, which is also quoted as US ANA 610 Sky (used on Lend Lease) 

70.921 English Uniform is good for Dark Earth BTW

Problem with Vallejo is I like the paint, but they dont' seem very good at colour matches....  the above were done by using colours I had for other purposes, though the Sky was found by some cross referencing, and the brushing out a sample and eyeballing paint chips.

They also changes names and numbers between the various ranges,  eg the 71.XXX Model Air and the 70.XXX model colour..... grrr. 

HTH

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Vallejo 70.885 pastel green is slightly lighter and greyer than the RAF museum chip,  

It's quoted as FS 34424, which is also quoted as US ANA 610 Sky (used on Lend Lease) 

70.921 English Uniform is good for Dark Earth BTW

Problem with Vallejo is I like the paint, but they dont' seem very good at colour matches....  the above were done by using colours I had for other purposes, though the Sky was found by some cross referencing, and the brushing out a sample and eyeballing paint chips.

They also changes names and numbers between the various ranges,  eg the 71.XXX Model Air and the 70.XXX model colour..... grrr. 

HTH

Thanks again Troy. I have so many Vallejo colours I hesitate to buy more. Hence the mixing - when I can get away with it.

• Like 1

I've created a topic over in 'Free to a Good Home'. If anyone wants to play around with the files for the masks I've created, they're now available to download.

J.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Getting on with stencilling now. I'm using an HGW set of 'wet transfers', which are new to me. I'm liking them so far, and the absence of carrier film on the finished product is rather neat.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HGW248022

I'm in two minds about stencilling in this scale. I think that often it looks a little stark, and thus out of scale. Maybe this is due to the printing process not being able to go as fine as required, though I've not tried measuring the stroke width of the letters to justify this wild assumption. If it were down to me, I'd prefer black stencils to be printed in a dark grey to make them slightly less obtrusive.

Anyhow, in the photo below the outboard incidence markings still have the carrier film attached. The inboard ones are complete, with the film removed.

49294421687_a88588e6f5_b.jpg

Nice printing:

49294484372_4c4418363c_c.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Impressive mask (and stencil) work Jason.

I like Vallejo too, and have also noticed that they often have the colour you need, but with a completely unrelated name. I've found their new 'Air War' series corrects a lot of this though,

Cheers Cookie. I've not heard of the Air War colours; will check them out.

Currently doing a bit of remasking after a mini disaster - the Alclad Aqua Gloss that I was applying by brush started to lift the roundel colours. Managed to clean off most of the streaked colour and left the rest well alone until it had dried again. Luckily just fairly minor damage to the roundel blue - a quick re-spray should see things right.

Got the serial number on one side. For these I'm using the Aviaeology sheet of generic letters and numbers.

49298387011_4812b85faa_c.jpg

Spent most of the morning tidying the workbench. My working area was down to about a six inch square patch right at the front -  a not uncommon occurrence. 

• Like 5

Been slowly glossing the rest of the airframe forward of the tail for the remaining stencils. Since there's nothing much to see in that regard, here's the figure I'm painting to stand beside the Mossie. It's Barracuda's 1/48 mid-to-late war RAF fighter pilot figure, but I'm hoping a late-war Mosquito crew member would have looked reasonably similar.

He's been primed in black and shaded from above with airbrushed grey and white. This lays down some shadows and highlights prior to the main colours going on. The low angle shot makes the shadows a little more obvious. The primer has brought out a few areas that require a bit more filling and smoothing. 

49317364076_876a301233_z.jpg 49316867543_325fd25e43_z.jpg

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Black primer then shooting the lighter base from the direction of the sun, that's brilliant Jason.

Thanks Cookie. I'd love to claim credit for that one, but it's fairly standard practice in the figure and miniature painting world. In those circles it's called 'zenithal highlighting'. There's a couple of ways to use the shading from this technique. With translucent paint layers it will actually give you some of the shadows and highlights on the final figure. Or one can just use it as a reference to aid in the placement of more opaque shadows and highlights. Below a Warhammer 40K figure I painted last year.

Spoiler

49317863047_494b8f2e13.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

Is that an Eldar Harlequin? Are they back?

Yes, a Death Jester. I don't think harlequins have ever been away, but I understand they're reasonably competitive in the current edition. I have vague plans for a Harlequin detachment to go with my Dark Eldar army (the latter currently all of two squads). However this chap was mainly done as a painting exercise.

• 2 weeks later...

I've put on all the stencils that I'm minded to. Since they were quite prominent, I toned them down a little with an overspray of very heavily thinned base colours. I decided to put eleven mission marks on the nose, which was the number of ops that F/L's Smith and Simpson flew in this particular Mosquito. No doubt she had many more on the clock, but it seemed as good a number as any.

49380935023_1978b5a9cc_c.jpg

The underside has had the panel lines picked out with the Tamiya panel line product (grey variety).

49381398576_b3b3819024_c.jpg

And I've started to dirty up the undersides a little. Using Daler Rowney inks in the airbrush, I've added the distinctive exhaust stains you often see on Mosquito tailplanes.

49381721276_f291a27168_c.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/26/2019 at 4:24 PM, JasonC said:

Considering the number of nacelles out there, I’ve only seen one kit completed, and that’s Jamie’s, who’s flogging the things! Get to it chaps!

Mine's locked in a safety-deposit box!  Well, not really, but a nondescript location in my stash.

On 12/30/2019 at 6:32 AM, JasonC said:

My working area was down to about a six inch square patch right at the front -  a not uncommon occurrence. 

My official working area is also my computer desk, and since one of my cats treats the area between me and the keyboard as a "staging area" before he settles on my lap (where he is now), that helps keep a portion of the desk "clear"!  Either end does tend to get rather cluttered, though, and I don't get frustrated enough to tidy up nearly often enough.  Which reminds me...

• Haha 1