Italeri M3 Half Track....X6! Dramas at 20.30

specky

Hi everyone

My, admittedly, rather clichéd D-day themed model railway has been cruelly ignored for a couple of years now, but this GB offers an excuse to re-visit with a handful of fresh vehicles to add to the motor pool....

2016-08-22%2020.32.39_zps4uxnt4ue.jpg

Although this might appear rather ambitious, in truth these are proper QB kits that only really need 4 spots of glue, 2 to fix the headlights, 2 to fix the front axle and the rest is snap together, plus a single colour scheme - Olive Drab. For my needs, they will be finished with minimal markings using decals from old Airfix & Matchbox kits and no crew or personal gear - 'factory fresh' machines fixed to suitable wagons, coupled to a Class 8 or WD 2-8-0, trundling around in the background at a scale 15mph - great stuff!

I had considered building these...

2016-08-22%2020.33.07_zps5yvw6mgl.jpg

....but after studying the sprue, I think Italeri is the better option for this build, although I may mix it up a little by using some 'option' PS parts to create a bit of variety.

My particular circumstances mean I will start at 14:00 on Saturday, aiming to have them essentially built and basic paint on by tea time, leaving me with time and opportunity to wash and matt coat Sunday am.

Bring it on!

Craig

Edited by specky
  • Like 2

Bring it on!

Indeed! :thumbsup: This looks like fun!

'factory fresh' machines fixed to suitable wagons, coupled to a Class 8 or WD 2-8-0, trundling around in the background at a scale 15mph - great stuff!

Now I wanna see that! Not necessarily for this GB (although that would be cool!) but eventually.

Hi everyone,

well, I am a proper clown :banghead: for forgetting the Belgian GP this weekend, so I've brought this forward by a couple of hours to ensure I'm finished and ready for the start of the race tomorrow.

I know a lot of you guys moan constantly about Photobucket, and for the first time, its let me down at the worst possible moment - I'm already 20 minutes behind! Sprue shots with the time are on my hard drive, I'll try and post later when, hopefully PB is working again

As I explained in my opening post, these will be added to the vehicle pool for use on my model railway, but since they will spend their lives very much in the background, I'm not losing too much sleep over their fairly obvious quick-build/wargame origins, but these are by no means the worst of their breed, that's for sure!

Despite the tight time limit, to ensure a degree of consistency with my existing M3's, I'll be adding some very quick and simple improvements and, hopefully, it'll be worth the effort.

'Family Guy', seasons 1 to 14, are ready to load into the DVD, Icelands finest 'stuffed crust' pizza is in the fridge and I'm ready for the off.

Craig

• Like 1

Hi everyone

So, after a stuttering start, 3 hours in, I'm ready for paint.

Center front 'jump seat' rebuilt. Before...

2016-08-26%2013.32.10_zpsqj2s2usd.jpg

....after....

2016-08-26%2013.52.51_zpsmzervj0x.jpg

Armour plate behind driver....

2016-08-26%2015.19.20_zpsgwbrr3yt.jpg

....and rear mud flaps....but PB wont let me add that last photo - what a pile of :shit: it is today, of all days!

It doesn't look like much, and I have to admit, when I was planning, it didn't seem like much, but its easy to forget its everything x6

More later

Craig

• Like 4

Hi everyone

Well... this has begun to unravel a bit now. I was a little premature earlier when I thought I was ready for paint because whilst having a quick pit-stop to throw a mug of tea down my neck, I realised most of the larger parts needed removing from the sprues and cleaning-up first, so that was another hour and a half lost - remember, its all x6!

2016-08-26%2016.41.08_zpskphszx8u.jpg

By the time I got down to my garage to start spraying, it was getting well late and after 2 hours, I had to pull the plug. Its been another very warm day here and everyone has their patio doors wide open and all they've been able to hear since 17.30 is my compressor knocking away!

This is how it stands...

2016-08-26%2019.12.12_zpsm8km0qzs.jpg

....every thing has a base coat of olive drab, effectively a pre-shade, and one 'fade' coat, but I had intended 3 'fades', so its all rather darker than I wanted.

Having thought about it, over another mug of tea, the plan is to put 4 away for another day and finish 2 here and if they end up too dark, then I will have only lost 2 sets of decals.

Craig

• Like 3