1/32 The Worst Best Idea ever. The big Victor.

TGA

Why so much interest in this build?

1. Because it's scratch built

2. Because it's a Victor

3. BECAUSE IT'S BLOODY BIG!!!!

Besides that, I can't think of the first reason to give the time of day to this project.

Awesomeness is in the making!

Thank you for sharing!!

PR

• Like 3

As a tip for planking to make things easier, use wedge shaped planks, if you measure the circumference of the largest former (A)and the circumference of the smallest (B,) then decide on your plank width,© divide A by C and B by the answer, it will give you your taper......

I might have to tear it all off and start over with your highly scientific approach! I was just going to eyeball the taper but as you can see I gave up on that fairly quickly :P I need to sort something out to keep my ruler and the plastic in place whilst I cut it.......

Good job on the planking so far. Keep at it, you'll soon get the hang of it.

Matt

Thanks Matt. All the tips and tricks from all the fine folks at BM do help a lot!

The seats look amazing just need some arm rests I believe.

Looking forward to more progress, gazza l

You are correct, Sir! Let's hope I don't ruin the seats by attempting to make arm rests for them!

Why so much interest in this build?

1. Because it's scratch built

2. Because it's a Victor

3. BECAUSE IT'S BLOODY BIG!!!!

Besides that, I can't think of the first reason to give the time of day to this project.

Awesomeness is in the making!

Thank you for sharing!!

PR

Thanks PR and welcome to the topic!

• Like 1

I have had nearly 2 weeks off and I find I nearly missed this thread (that will teach me to go on holiday and not check up, doh!)

Abso bloody lutely awesome. I still say Lusty Lindy is the finest "live" example of a K2 anywhere. It's the most complete of the 2 still running today and would serve well for inspiration to any one contemplating making a kit of this iconic aircraft, whatever the scale.

I look forward with anticipation to seeing this splendid build take shape.

I doff my hat (R.A.F.) to you sir.

Bob

Great looking seats Tom and arm rests are fitted .

Guy

I have had nearly 2 weeks off and I find I nearly missed this thread (that will teach me to go on holiday and not check up, doh!)

Abso bloody lutely awesome. I still say Lusty Lindy is the finest "live" example of a K2 anywhere. It's the most complete of the 2 still running today and would serve well for inspiration to any one contemplating making a kit of this iconic aircraft, whatever the scale.

I look forward with anticipation to seeing this splendid build take shape.

I doff my hat (R.A.F.) to you sir.

Bob

Hey Bob!

I think I'm going to build my Victor as Lusty Lindy. I'm glad you like my idea and I'm happy to have you on board! I'll probably update it sometime this week but I'll be slightly busy for the coming few days.

Great looking seats Tom and arm rests are fitted .

Guy

They are getting prettier every time I look at them. The detailling really is astonishing!

Thanks guys and glad to see you all here! I actually managed to get a tiny bit of work in! Managed to mostly finish planking the top quarter of the cockpit fuselage.

DSC_0287_zpsdppfzs8o.jpg

I'm starting to get a hang of this planking stuff. For a bit of fun I roughly drew on the outlines for the cockpit windows to give you guys an idea what you are looking at.

DSC_0288_zpssrfyyarx.jpg

And as a bit of a trail I sanded down the planks a little bit. This actually got me a bit hopeful. It doesn't look like total crap when it's sanded down! This project might actually go somewhere eventually :)

DSC_0289_zpsvguv0h5s.jpg

Pardon my total lack of skill guys. This is the first time I'm doing anything like this!

• Like 12

Nice one Tom, indeed a very steep learning curve and I think you are getting the hang of it !

There is great skill in what your doing my freind. Mad but with skill !!!!

Guy

• Like 1

You've certainly picked something with a complex shape for a first scratch build. but it is coming on nicely I look forward to seeing your build progress.

I started a 1:32 Handley Page scratch build of my own last year but it is of a much earlier vintage.

Thanks for sharing.

Mark

• Like 2

I slight I told you so is in order. None of you probably thought I would really cut out the cockpit part but that so happens to be exactly what I did.

DSC_0292_zpsyfc7s4z4.jpg

I left the rest of the structure intact so I can make the other upper half and afterwards merge the two halve when the cockpit interior is complete. Which will probably be stage 2 after forming the second upper half.

DSC_0294_zpssq3mhsaj.jpg

The funny thing is, the part that I cut out is really quite solid and it has kept it's shape perfectly! Might have to make it into a mold and Vacform the cockpit structure as a whole..... Who knows.

DSC_0295_zpswxxyetuo.jpg

Added so waiver thin plastic to the inside for added rigidity.

DSC_0298_zpsyijuf7mp.jpg

And I finally closed that ruddy big hole in the nose.

DSC_0296_zpsk3iqlxzb.jpg

DSC_0297_zps20f1ywub.jpg

I might actually do more to day but for now this is it. Again thanks everyone for your support and I love the fact that there are so many people who can relate to this build. Everyone feel free to post your Victor stories in my build thread. I got a really nice one in my inbox before, which I hope Scimitar will share on here too. Stories really liven up a thread for me so please feel free to post anything Victor related here too!

• Like 4

Rather you than me on this one, but you seem to be picking it up pretty quickly! With the inner skin and a skim of filler over the outside, I'm sure it'll be perfectly convincing!

My only qualm would be the final fill in of that "big hole" and whether you may be liable to push it out (or more likely, in) when finishing the exterior. You might want to make sure it has suitable support behind it.

Ian

Rather you than me on this one, but you seem to be picking it up pretty quickly! With the inner skin and a skim of filler over the outside, I'm sure it'll be perfectly convincing!

My only qualm would be the final fill in of that "big hole" and whether you may be liable to push it out (or more likely, in) when finishing the exterior. You might want to make sure it has suitable support behind it.

Ian

I tried pushing it in but it doesn't give so I guess it's sorted! I'll use the radius technique described earlier for the other side so this is the only patchwork for the cockpit. At least I hope it is.

Whilst pushing at patched up spots I got a bit of inspiration and I drew a more precise setup of the windows, hatches and the door. I thought, while I'm at it I might as well cut out a window!

DSC_0299_zps0g8omdwq.jpg

Edited by TGA
  • Like 9

This is gonna be worth watching . . . . :popcorn:

I built a Vulture engine in a simpler manner. Circular disc for the profile and filled the in between bits with scrap plastic cuts then applied filler.

It turned out OK but your nose fuselage section is going to be something special :goodjob:

best of luck

Ian

• Like 1

Once you have got the shape of the aircraft formed and skinned in plastic would there be merit in skinning her again in aluminium so that you can get the panels set out and rivitted ?

Loving this whole project ! Simply amazing

Nige

• Like 1