1/32 The Worst Best Idea ever. The big Victor.

TGA

Yet more impossible modelling! Top Trumps scratch building on this site methinks. What next? Someone planning a 1:32 Spruce Goose made out of wood?

Well it just so happens that my mother is actually a furniture maker so the woodworking tools are all available. But after a quick calculation I came to the conclusion that a spruce goose would have a 304cm wingspan in 1/32. I wouldn't have a room big enough to build it in, unfortunately. Interesting thought though!

Well now, once upon a timeI was. A Vulcan driver! But there is absolutely NO denying. That the Victor was a very futuristic and elegant aircraft. I shall follow rhis build with interest.

That must have been a real treat going to work like that mate. A Vulcan!!

Edited by TGA

Forget all the tubby Vulcan twaddle. The Victor was the most graceful, elegant and futuristic bomber ever produced, full stop, period, end.

The deHavilland DH.98 Mosquito is going to have to ask you to step outside! :fight:

• Like 4

Nice one Tom , told you it would be fine , I was at Bruntingthorpe at the weekend and was up close to the Victor lovely looking aircraft and saw her power down the runway awesome sight !

When I get a chance I will post some shots in the photography section.

Keep going mate this is an epic build.

Guy

• Like 1

I did discover that I have already made a mistake. The cockpit floor slopes down from the access door to the nose and it also has a tiny step down. See rhe picture below:

DSC_0255_zpsbaqxwv9r.jpg

I did find some time to correct this mistake.

DSC_0256_zpsvitnwlyp.jpg

More later this week! Oh p.s. I ordered 2 Martin Baker ejectionseats for the Victor :)

@Guy thanks mate! Do you perhaps have any pictures of the bomb bay? I'm having a hard time finding any reference pictures... Was it Lusty Lindy or Teasin Tina you saw powering down the runway?

Edited by TGA
  • Like 6

This one of those fantastic projects I love to watch unfolding, with a lot of admiration for the modeller and some benign envy for not been able to build such wonders. Will keep watching with interest, best of luck with the project !

• Like 1

Hi Tom,

It was Tina I saw and sorry no photos of the bomb bay but I will post what I did get.

Guy

• Like 1

The deHavilland DH.98 Mosquito is going to have to ask you to step outside! :fight:

Aye she wasn't bad for a wee multi role plane at that. But still not a big pure bomber that could toss bomb a nuke and go supersonic while looking like something off the front page of the Eagle comic

• Like 1

Well sarge, I wouldn't call the Mossie futuristic to be honest.

She was when they built her! :winkgrin:

Aye she wasn't bad for a wee multi role plane at that. But still not a big pure bomber that could toss bomb a nuke and go supersonic while looking like something off the front page of the Eagle comic

I dunno she was bloody quick for her day and once she grew up she could hurl a 'Cookie'. :viking:

But anyway, back to a very big build of the most graceful jet-engined bomber that Britain has ever produced. :coolio:

PS - The Victor kind of reminds me of the 'War Rocket Ajax' for some reason! :D

• Like 3

Thanks again for the kind words guys! Things have not been going my way and it's bugging me! This is where I left off today:

DSC_0263_zpscirhwvpl.jpg

And this is the way the front section looks now:

DSC_0266_zpszbfwtprs.jpg

I just can't get that ruddy planking technique to do what I want it to do and I need help! Does anyone have any tips or tricks?

I got fed up with bodywork so I decided to focus on making a prototype of the cockpit windowframe.

DSC_0267_zpszl7hlvqd.jpg

DSC_0275_zpsjvqg4d2t.jpgDSC_0276_zpsv0xbcvwe.jpg

DSC_0277_zpsyz9enp4b.jpg

This really got my spirits back up! It actually looks semi-decent! Even managed to bend it without melting it! Thanks for checking in. More tomorrow! Oh and help me please!!!

• Like 18

Thanks again for the kind words guys! Things have not been going my way and it's bugging me! This is where I left off today:

And this is the way the front section looks now:

DSC_0266_zpszbfwtprs.jpg

I just can't get that ruddy planking technique to do what I want it to do and I need help! Does anyone have any tips or tricks?

looks a great start :)

my two bobs worth..

I would get a bit of a confidence builder under my belt from here - perhaps first try planking the lower nose from the rear bulkhead to the front bulkhead - one thing straight away is I don't think there are enough bulkheads to keep the shape you need, I would add a few in between - even if you don't take them from plans you need something to bridge the big spans between the ones you have - just cut them roughly and shape with a file - always running front to back

then run the planks lengthways - just strips of 5mm wide by 1mm thick card - also I wouldn't use liquid poly or tamiya glue, use CA and lots of it (with a mask, the fumes are bad..)

..for the upper nose I would put a false instrument panel bulkhead in, again to help spread the shape - also think about how to get to / detail the cockpit or nosegear well I not already because these too will need structure now, even if you plank over it and cut away the skin later

90% of what you are doing is planning, the building and sticking stuff together is the easy bit :)

..you have huge ambition, and all the support and goodwill of the folk here so this will be a dream build once you get over the initial hump

all the best

Peter

• Like 14

Agree with Peter's tips above - numerous bulkheads are a must as this will give the planks plenty of supporting structure and enable them to conform to the shapes of the airframe more easily. If you look at my Shackleton thread, you'll see that when I planked the rear of the nacelles, the nose section and radome area, I made and inserted bulkheads/formers approx 10mm apart and this enabled the planks to form the complex shape with ease.

I also cut my planks at approx 3mm width; this gives you the ability to follow the curves of the airframe without problems. Make sure that once the first plank is down, you glue along the length of the edge which will mate with the next plank and thus you avoid movement and cracking when sanding, filling and scribing.

Finally, when the glue has cured thoroughly, go over the whole surface with wet and dry to blend any edges before applying filler.

Using the planking method is very time consuming but it gets good results. Just ensure the structure beneath is in place to support it all and you'll be fine.

Final thought - I'd build some ballast into the nose as you go. The last thing you want after all your hard work is a tail-sitter!

Good luck and keep at it!

Tom

• Like 6

Thanks for the tips gentlemen! They really helped me out! I'm getting the hang off the planking business! I saw Tom's post slightly too late and I had already decided on my amount of bulkheads to be used. As it stands now I fear I still haven't used enough! It's getting there but it's stilo not exactly the way I want you it to be. The golden ticket so far seems to be the 10mm spacing between bulkheads and 3-5mm wide strips of 1mm thick plastic. I was using 2mm thick strips before, which was a mistake.

DSC_0279_zpsx7g9bdcp.jpg

DSC_0280_zpszssqu1h8.jpg

DSC_0281_zpstnyxkuh4.jpg

• Like 15

As a tip for planking to make things easier, use wedge shaped planks, if you measure the circumference of the largest former (A)and the circumference of the smallest (B,) then decide on your plank width,© divide A by C and B by the answer, it will give you your taper......

Edited by markjames68
  • Like 2

Thanks guys and another great tip! It's so great that everyone is behind me on this. I don't know why this Victor has everyone so excited but I'm glad that it does what it does! Anyhow, Santa must have been drunk because Christmas came very very early this year!

DSC_0282_zpsnrnxhnft.jpg

DSC_0283_zpskp0ulwqn.jpg

DSC_0284_zps8tbh6nph.jpg

DSC_0285_zpsw84amfpd.jpg

It isn't exactly the right seat for the Victor but it's close enough for what I'm trying to accomplish. The seats themselves are absolutely gorgeous and the detailing is amazing! A fantastic product bij QB (or Aires as it says on the seat!)

• Like 6