1/32 The Worst Best Idea ever. The big Victor.

TGA

I tend to overdo things just a little bit.... It's exactly the same with my P-61 build. I can't help myself, when I try to build things out of the box I end up scratchbuilding most of it. So I thought to myself why not start a second long term project that involves a lot of scratch building.

I take my inspiration from the likes of Airscale, tomprobert and roymattblack on these forums, all you amazing scratch builders out there inspire me to try on pretty much the worst best idea ever. A 1/32 Handley Page Victor K2.

This all being said I could not even have started out on this project without the help of Antti_K and his mountain of resources on the Victor. You truly are a hero Antti.

I shall be using the plans that were provided to me as a reference to the build along with my Wilhemshavener Modellbaubogen cardboard model plans that I recently acquired.

The plastic required for this build is going to be epic in volume so I've gone ahead and ordered a few 1000x600mm sheets of the stuff in various thicknesses.

All the plans and references have been scaled up to what can only be described as 1:31 scale. So let's just call it 1:32. I am not going to be aiming for 100% correctness as long as it looks the part. That's the main thing here. I am in love with the looks of this magnificent aircraft.

So no more words and just a single picture to prove why this might be one of the worst ideas ever:

DSC_0224_zpslmynwbcc.jpg

• Like 24

Hahahahaha!, ( in my best nefarious plan laugh i can muster) THAT is a proper project! I love my 1/6 - 1/3 rc atuff and even i chickened out of that as a thought and went with 48th.... bring it on....

• Like 1

:yikes::shocked: That about sums it up!

So :drink: and :popcorn: ready. this should be fun!

Christian, exiled to africa, who used to like watching Victor's land at night

• Like 1

Whooooweee,this is going to be good.

Wish I had the cajones to try something like this.

Let me know what brand of plastic you're using, and I'll buy shares in them.

Can't wait to see some progress.

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 1

Good luck with this one. As they say in Yorkshire (apparently) if you're going to have one, make it a big 'un.

Trevor

Thanks Trevor! She's definitely going to be huge!

Yep, I'll agree with that but it'll be facinating to see you try, :)

Have you thought of where you're going to put such a beast?

Anyway, colour me interested :popcorn:

I was thinking of mounting it to a wall or hanging it from the ceiling. I haven't really thought this through to be honest :P

Madness.

Can I suggest you put a swear tin the room. You will be able to pay for a holiday at the end of this !!!

Enjoy.

Great suggestion. I'll definitely consider doing that. Thanks!

OMG how big is your bench!?

Not that big actually. About 7-10cm left when it's completed :P

Stuff that! Is it made of solid lead?

Trevor

It's made of solid IKEA!

How could this fail to be engrossing. Mad mind you...

Totally lost the plot mate. Welcome aboard!

Hahahahaha!, ( in my best nefarious plan laugh i can muster) THAT is a proper project! I love my 1/6 - 1/3 rc atuff and even i chickened out of that as a thought and went with 48th.... bring it on....

You are way more qualified to make this than I am! You should give it a shot!

• so that's going to be about 3.5 feet in both directions...hats off to you sir...luv it! :popcorn:

maybe Brit Modellers should be rebranded as Brit Madness

About 110-114cm in length. Computes to 1/31 ish scale! It's super massive.

Already impressed. Best of luck!

Thanks Phil!

:yikes::shocked: That about sums it up!

So :drink: and :popcorn: ready. this should be fun!

Christian, exiled to africa, who used to like watching Victor's land at night

The only flying this one might do is out of the attic window in a moment of pure frustration :P

Very much looking forward to seeing this grow and develop!

Subscribing...

Ah! The master of the planking technique! Great to have you here Tom, I definitely need the help and advice!

Another biggie, can't wait! Raving mad!!

I have lost it. Completely! Doesn't mean I won't enjoy it ;)

How could I not?

So I will

That will be me back here clutching a cool tinnie or two three

enjoying the madness :)

Hey Perdu! Welcome to the topic ;) Definitely one of those because I can moments in life!

Whooooweee,this is going to be good.

Wish I had the cajones to try something like this.

Let me know what brand of plastic you're using, and I'll buy shares in them.

Can't wait to see some progress.

Matt

Well you'd better invest in some shares Matt. I've ordered a couple of square meters so the prices or definitely going up ;)

One of the most bonkers ideas I have seen in a long time! I'm in! :popcorn:

Martin

The most bonkers one I have had pretty much all my life :P Welcome aboard Martin!

You're nuts and I love that !

I'm taking a chair !

Get comfortable, this is going to take a while!

One of my favourite saying's applies here...you sir are 'mad as a box of frogs!' so I'll be pulling up a chair and ordering a mountain of popcorn!

Hehehe welcome Crusty. It is totally mad right?

Thanks for all the support and encouragement guys. I have no idea what I've gotten myself into but I hope I won't let you fine gentlemen down! I printed out all the main bulkheads from the plans today and as soon as the plastic comes in I'll start fabricating those. I think getting the main skeleton for the airframe in place isn't going to take that much time but it'll surely be quite the undertaking when it comes to the size of the thing. If anyone here has tips, tricks and advice regarding Vac forming I really do need the help. I've allready seen a couple of things that I'm probably going to have to vac form.

Cheers guys and more soon!

Tom

• Like 1