AH-1W Super Cobra NTS + exhaust mod HMLA-467 tribute 1/48 --> armed & ready

exdraken

AH-1W Super Cobra NTS

HMLA-467

9/11 tribute

the plan for the time being is to do the following mashine;

AH-1W BuNo. 160820, HMLA-467 in tribute markings (FDNY 9/11 tribute scheme)

Caracal decals provided the inspiration and will provide the decals I hope! (I still have to order them!! :) )

http://caracalmodels.com/cd48116.html

http://www.rs.nato.int/article/news/tribute-to-new-york-fire-department-ladder-company-patrols-afghan-sky.html

but I got hold of the necessary conversion set from Olimp models (NTS update and new exhaust shrouds), was a bit hard to find I have to say!

Only Then! I got the kit locally in the store :)

should have the 20mm cannon from Master somewhere in the stash... and then- there is nothing more out there that could complicate/ lengthen the build! not even PE from Eduard.... ;)

20160810_183519_1_zps9mnbzn9f.jpg

thanks Craig for some tips already in his thread (rotors turn wrong in the kit!!!!)

20160810_183606_1_zpsqafmdqvu.jpg

already started to cut plastic and resin :)

20160821_084736_1_zpsqyq0vevy.jpg

20160821_234819_1_zpsctsba0ru.jpg

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2

Nice to see another Cobra added to the build list.

We seem to be quite well served with late model Cobras in 1/48 but I wish someone would bring out some early models AH-1G to AH-1J in modern kits, I know there's the Fujimi ones but their G is not very good and the J is like finding rocking horse poop.

Craig.

Welcome and very nice choice of scheme. As Craig has said, nice to see another cobra; I think we are starting to even things out.

Look forward to your progress

Cheers

Aaron

thanks guys,

20160821_234940_1_zpslozw3nsg.jpg

some fine tuning necessary, the fit of the new exhaust is in parts very good, it seems to be a bit on the high side. I guess the file and sandpaper will do a good work though!

the new intakes look a lot better and fit very good

20160821_235037_1_zpsbmepgxgg.jpg

20160821_235000_1_zpsmt68i9ch.jpg

i did not really expect that much surgery for the nose part:

20160822_000304_1_zpsqo6d5evp.jpg

ad after a lot of dryfitting and swearing I noted that I had to cut and modify the canopy!! (as indicated in the instructions of course... :banghead: :banghead: )

the NTS upgrade is more comprehensive than it looks at first side :)

you never stop learning, and the cobra is definitly non of my strenghts!!!

I guess I will replace the seatbelts with some PE from the spares box...

20160822_002007_1_zpsws6me6n1.jpg

thts it for now,

best ,

Werner

• Like 1

Lovely work Werner getting all that resin to fit, looked like a right pain in the proverbial.

Tried to look at the link for the decals, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Keep up the good work, I can see this turning into a spectacular build.

Matt

• Like 1

some small update:

cockpit ready for painting:

IMG_7250_1_1_zpskrmfrd4j.jpg

as mentioned before, I found the M197 cannon from Master:

20160823_211052_1_zpsohck77oy.jpg

I do not recommend trying to build it after a long day at midnight in not so perfect light... :banghead::hanging:

IMG_7245_1_1_zpsfxvm0shd.jpg

but after "some" swearing it looks quite decent I think!

IMG_7247_1_1_zpsgm4hze47.jpg

IMG_7242_1_1_zpsfyrg2cio.jpg

• Like 4

I think it is time for an update here ;)

I don't know exactly what this here is, but it is part of the Olimp NTS update so I include it ;)

relatively delicate resin component, fit is quite nice!

IMG_2947_1_1_zpsqtgxgfyk.jpg

I also did paint up the cockpit, for plastic I think it is quite detailed, no too mcuh will be seen through the closed canopy anyways:

IMG_2938_1_1_zpss5xfsfuo.jpg

IMG_2941_1_1_zpsbagz3sby.jpg

the seats are dressed up with some PE seatbelts I had lying around, the molded on ones had to go :)

IMG_2958_1_1_zpse35v22di.jpg

IMG_2963_1_1_zpsk3txdxh3.jpg

IMG_2965_1_1_zpsqpoaj75n.jpg

next to be done is modifing the canopy front part in order to achive the NTS look... (more work I definitly did not expect at all!!!)

instructions are a bit vague on this but the new front with IP shield only allows one way anyways.... wish me luck un sading down the clear part!

• Like 4

The part you have in question is the oil cooler.

AH-1W163950ET43HMM-26203-000001.jpg

Really like the seatbelts too where did they come from? I've been looking into possibly buying the Eduard PE set for the UH-1N to add to my Cobra builds and use those belts.

Edited by whiskey
  • Like 1

The part you have in question is the oil cooler.

Really like the seatbelts too where did they come from? I've been looking into possibly buying the Eduard PE set for the UH-1N to add to my Cobra builds and use those belts.

thanks whiskey, fro the info! the oil cooler...interesting! do you by chance know why they had to change it?

the seatbelts are form an Eduard Black Hawk interior set I had to break up for spares :banghead: ....

I am sure you find something similar in what ever helicopter interior PE set...

this one for the AH-1Z might be an option:

https://www.eduard.com/store/eduard/ah-1z-interior-s-a-1-48.html?cur=1&listtype=search&searchparam=H-1

for what ever reason there is no dedicted one for this kit :( - EDUARD!!!!!)

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

I'm quoting "the man" on this, Mr. SuperCobra himself as it he has the information direct.

"There are two different styles of oil cooler fairings used on AH-1Ws. Check your reference photos but generally, the smaller one is on early lots (and appears again on the AH-1Z) - and the larger one appeared in the early 1990s but may not have been retrofitted to all aircraft. Also note that on some aircraft, there is a bulge in the belly panel just aft of the oil cooler fairing (first picture below). This is another area where you have to check photos of the specific aircraft you are modeling. Typically all aircraft (basic, NTS, AH-1Z) could have this bulge except AH-1Ts that were converted to AH-1Ws (160XXX bunos). These bunos typically don't have the bulge but it is hit or miss on other aircraft. The bulge was for the OBIGGS which was disabled early in service but not all aircraft were retrofitted with the non-bulged fairing. In the case of the specific aircraft I'm modelling (162542 - the scheme on the TwoBobs and NTS boxing decal sheet with the snake on the side) the bulge is not present so I don't need a "tweak" as all of the kit boxings represent a non-OBIGGS aircraft. If I recall correctly, the larger shroud may have been associated with a nav upgrade and relocating and/or removing an ADF antenna."

http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=14898&page=3

Now from my knowledge of these things I was under the impression that the larger shroud was due to an upgrade to the transmission but I guess I'm wrong. SuperCobra's build was from about 4 years ago and in 1/35 however it highlights A LOT of great information that can be easily translated to the 1/48 Italeri kit.

• Like 2

I plan to do 160820 in its 9/11 tribute sche from Caracal decals you can see above. Seems to have the large,i.e. resin cooler then and the bulge in front!!

Thanks alot Mr SuperCobra! Also great link to the build very much appreciated!

Edited by exdraken

managed to close the fuselage, and forgot something of course.... instructions call for 20g of noseweight....

I added a heavy resin exhaust in the rear and added nothing - go figure!

luckily there is an opening for the rotor that goes down till under the cockpit compartment. I sunk quite many nuts'n bolts covered in superglue.... looks like it is working ;)

IMG_2981_1_1_1_zpsq3rnq5as.jpg

exhaust need still to be blended in, but looks do-able!

it is a bit on the high side...

IMG_2970_1_1_zpslwggekgh.jpg

IMG_2978_1_1_zpsnhu2awvu.jpg

• Like 2

after some exhaustive sanding and super glue as a filler, I think the exhaust module is more or less blended in.

priming and paintwork will proof me right/wrong later on ;)

IMG_2982_1_1_zpsqgl6cu6r.jpg

IMG_2984_1_1_zpskxs7p8jc.jpg

I crudely deepened the grill recesses in order to have some depth in case you see something and easy gluing

IMG_2985_21_1_zpszctq6dqd.jpg

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 3

sooo after some fear and doubt on how best tackling the canopy modification issue, I just started to sand of the front part with a new , large, straight, new and sharp file.

carefully holding the quite delicate transparencies. (it does not really help that they are designed to be cut if you want to display the cockpit open! the cut line are hardly closed at all, so you get a qute wobbly part to deal with!)

first iteration without gluing the new front in place:

20160908_001954.jpg_1_zpsro7xlti1.jpg

the fine and detail work was done after the fueselage was closed and more resin and PE detail added: (big oil cooler, missile/ laser detectors, grilles)

IMG_2995_1_1_zpskgtghbaw.jpg

IMG_2997_1_1_zpsw5jwijki.jpg

and this ominous front part fixed in place!

20160911_235640.jpg_1_zpsy0x5pgsy.jpg

20160911_235711.jpg_1_zpsx1dagoft.jpg

that is how all looked like yesterday at around midnight:

20160911_235659.jpg_1_zpsprhzyi7i.jpg

resembles a abit a SuperCobra NTS with new exhaust shrouds ;)

lets get rid of ths silly chewing gum color soon!

• Like 2