*FINISHED* 1/72 Special Hobby AH-1Q/S Cobra "US ARMY"

Stew Dapple

Hello Stew, I'm extremely late to the show :blush:.

I have had a very enjoyable lurk at what you've been doing.

In short, a great job :thumbsup2: 

It looks like a pleasant kit to build with no real vices.

Hope I can take one of the bean bags at the back, and sit quietly with my Texan bar and Cresta lemonade (it's not frothy anymore) :popcorn: 

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks very much gents :cheers: Tony, do you remember the purple Cresta? I can't remember what flavour it was supposed to be but it was so virulently sugary that I was the one fizzing for a few hours afterwards :D

After a fair amount of fettling I managed to get the canopy fitted and masked - I think it was intended to be displayed open and it was perhaps assumed that no-one would want to display it closed so only the most cursory effort was made to ensure that it would fit in the closed position (either that, or it didn't fit due to my cack-handedness, which surely couldn't be the case?)

DSCN5472.jpg

So with the last of the tiny tiny parts fitted (I think they were tie-down rings, 5 of) the next step will be priming - I think I will give black-basing a go for this one just to see what the effect is like; there are too many nooks and crannies to do effective pre-shading so I will start off giving it an overall coat of Alclad Black Primer. I think I'll do that tomorrow though as it will stink the place up for the rest of the evening if I do it now... :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

Hi Stew, I also had some trouble fitting the canopy, especially because I did it with white glue as not to stain it. In the end, I had to fill some gaps left behind but I didn't mind the trouble because apparently, it is the onle 1/72 cobra with the canopy convexed by the sides, like the real thing (I read that in this forum somewhere).

I'll be following the painting process closely to see how it's done by airbrush. Keep it up!

• Like 1

Hi Alberto, it's good to know it wasn't just me then :)

I painted the main and tail rotor tips yellow and masked them off:

DSCN5484.jpg

Then applied the Alclad Black Primer - got a really nice finish and it looks very sleek in black:

DSCN5487.jpg

Next I will start applying the Olive Drab - not today though, I've got Wednesday off so I might get on to it then...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

Thanks Cookie, and thanks for introducing me to the concept of black-basing too :)

The second stage is to fill in the panels in a sort of negative-pre-shading way:

DSCN5500.jpg

Then overspray with the main colour:

DSCN5503.jpg

Hmmm. Might need a bit more practice at that, but for a first go I am happy with it, it was certainly easier to do than conventional pre-shading, which would have been very difficult here with all the lumps and sticky-outy-bits.

Next up I'll need to repaint the couple of panels and the blade aerial which were black on the original machine...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

That black basing looks really nice, Stewforth. (No idea why I called you that, but it's happening.) I've found the Alclad black primer is harder to mask over -- I have a lot of lifting problems with it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AlbertoYagi said:

Nice work there. I see that your version of the Cobra has the correct intakes.

Thanks Alberto - this particular version of the Cobra has all sorts of alternate parts depending on the markings to be used - there was a spare nose, landing skids, intakes and a whole tail section as well as a plethora of bits I wasn't able to identify... :D

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Good job Stew - I like that, a lot :)

Thanks very much Ced, I'm quite pleased with it for a first go... :)

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wow, I'd say you're a natural at black basing Stew, you really gave the single color scheme some depth.

Thanks very much Cookie, I wasn't entirely sure I had remembered how to do it properly but I will definitely be using that method again :)

19 minutes ago, Procopius said:

That black basing looks really nice, Stewforth. (No idea why I called you that, but it's happening.) I've found the Alclad black primer is harder to mask over -- I have a lot of lifting problems with it.

Henceforth, Stewforth :D Thanks PC, it turned out better than I expected. Interesting to hear that the primer doesn't stick too well for you, I don't think I have tried masking it but perhaps I will give that dubious pleasure a miss now in light of your experience... 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

Over the weekend I - finally - finished the main and tail rotors, painted up the TOW missiles and got enough courage up to apply their little yellow bands which are supplied as transfers - of course, it was easier than I expected in the end, given that I had expected a disaster of almost biblical proportions:

DSCN5534.jpg

I also painted the black panels on the underside and the upper side of the winglets, and fitted the main bodies of the unguided rocket-pods; I will fit the ends of these after varnishing as they are metallic and I don't want to lose the sheen under a matt coat:

DSCN5535.jpg

Next will be the application of the transfers to the helicopter itself - the instructions note of the aircraft I am building: "note: no stencils except for those shown on this page". Best. News. Ever. :D

I've got the day off on Wednesday (Saturday shift this week :() so i hope to make some progress then...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

Looking very nicely drab there Stew... I'm starting to get a bit of 'rotor envy' which I will try to resist...

No stencils? Good news indeed!

Looking forward to the transfers :)

Thanks Ced :D

It's not quite no stencils, but I can't complain; one data block by the cockpit, a couple of red warning arrows near the tail rotor and a red "Don't stand in front of the turret guns" sign on the front of the chin turret... two Playboy bunny badges, two US ARMY signs and a couple of serials on the tail, and here we are:

DSCN5537.jpg

I'm actually very pleased with that. The AviaPrint transfers supplied with the kit were lovely to use and I'm reasonably confident there will be no silvering when it all settles down. Matt coat next, and hopefully I can finish this by or on the weekend.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

Nice.

I've had a peculiar thought about stencils and transfers, or rather the real life marking they represent. I can see the point in the bunny badges (standard military irony; "Sure, we've shot up your town but we're fun guys really") but warning signs? Perhaps they're a legal / Health and Safety thing? "Yes Mrs Jones, I'm afraid young Johnny was fatally injured by the tail rotor but... pardon? He was leaning in to read the warning sign? Well, no, we hadn't considered people with bad eyesight..."

Nearly at the 'masks off' stage. Exciting.

• Like 2

Thanks Ced, I think some stencils are just backside-covering exercises - "Look, the sign says 'Don't hand-rotate the gatling gun or it will go off' so you can't blame us that you just blew your own hand off" and I imagine most ground crew don't really need to be told where not to tread after their first day at work, but then I imagined that people don't need to be told that the contents of the coffee cup they just bought may be hot, and I was apparently wrong about that :lol: 

Thanks Aaron - Cookie Cookenbacher introduced me to the idea of black-basing in one of his recent Spitfire multi-builds and I thought I'd give it a go. It's easier than normal pre-shading and in this case I like the way it has come out, although I may have been a bit unsubtle about it in places, but overall I will definitely use it again, particularly on uni-colour schemes... :)

On 10/11/2016 at 6:37 AM, Stew Dapple said:

The AviaPrint transfers supplied with the kit were lovely to use and I'm reasonably confident there will be no silvering when it all settles down....

Well I should have known that would come back to haunt me. One of the UNITED STATES ARMY signs silvered like a b... like a boss:

DSCN5539.jpg

...which is a shame, because it is finished now and apart from that I feel it went really well. I had a few issues with the Special Hobby instructions which have a tendency to be a bit vague - in a 'Part x goes, erm, over there' sort of a way, which was mostly okay as you could check the next stage to see what it looked like fitted but on a couple of occasions I never actually found out if I had glued a part in the correct place or with the correct orientation. Also perhaps it is my age but I could have done with the instructions being printed twice the size that they were, and with more construction stages containing less information in each. The kit itself is a beauty and goes together really well, but you do have to keep a close eye on which parts you are meant to be using for the option you are building, you can't just stick it together and decide on the markings at the end as there are a lot of alternate parts provided. 

Anyway, here's a few more pictures, more in the gallery here

DSCN5543.jpg

DSCN5544.jpg

DSCN5551.jpg

Thanks to Aaron and Matt for hosting and Enzo for doing the technical stuff, as usual, thank you gentlemen, it has been a pleasure :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 8

Wonderful Stew,

shame me about the silvering but a beautiful looking Cobra.  

...so, as you enjoyed it so much will we be seeing more helicopter builds in the future? :D:P 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, milktrip said:

..so, as you enjoyed it so much will we be seeing more helicopter builds in the future? :D:P 

Thanks mate :cheers:

Funnily enough I did find myself looking longingly at the recent Eduard Hind release... but didn't succumb to it in the end. Still, if you do have another Helo GB , I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know, I missed the preamble to this one but I'm glad I was able to take part :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Bad luck with the silvering Stew :(

Other than that she looks really nice - good job Sir!

No worries Ced, it was still an interesting and enjoyable build and the silvering can't ruin that for me :) - thanks, I am pleased with it overall.

11 hours ago, milktrip said:

Very glad you took part, Stew.

there is a Wessex groupbuild starting soon (November I think?)

Thanks mate, I'll watch out for it; any reasonably good kits for the Wessex?

9 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

That looks really good Stew. With the slight silvering I would hit that with some Daco "Strong" decal softener. I have had some sucess with this even after varnishing.

Thanks Nigel - ironically it was Daco Strong that I used on this build, and it all looked fine until the varnish went on - but I will give that transfer another application of it and hope for the best - thank you :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Well I should have known that would come back to haunt me. One of the UNITED STATES ARMY signs silvered like a b... like a boss

I laughed way too hard at this.

• Like 1