Airfix 1/72 Spitfire PR XIX *complete* mk.22 *now complete*

milktrip

Hello,

I had this kit in mind when the GB was first suggested. Never built it but from what I've read its a good kit and goes together okay. Will be going for the silver finish to save some time and will be using the kit decals. As I mentioned in the chat thread, some of the pieces have been removed from the sprues but they have not been trimmed, sanded or anything else so the kit has not been started.

29032939252_9cb472bd32_z.jpg

Pretty much OOB but will include some fabric belts from Eduard and replacement exhaust from quickboost. Also, and maybe seen as the cheats way, eduard mask set. Already set the paints aside too.

28850985550_ef0e926f0d_z.jpg

Back up plan (if the mk.22 was not allowed) was the spitfire PR XIX. I had the daft idea of building them together as the build sequence would be similar...hmmm not sure to be honest but if I do I was thinking of the Swedish version to save time on painting but I do like the RAF version.

29105345326_31921d9311_z.jpg

As above, OOB but with fabric belts, quickboost exhaust and eduard pre-cut mask. Paints also set aside, some obviously the same as above.

29105339436_63a1284d01_z.jpg

I reckon it will be Sunday for me. Nephews birthday on the Saturday. I will attempt the 24 hour straight... no fancy clock I'm afraid, just my phone (unless I can find something between now and Sunday)

Also cleared a bit of space in my modelling room so won't have to use the kitchen table as I have been doing...

Cheers

Aaron

• Like 7

Nice choice Aaron,an Airfix Spitfire was my first choice(a pink PR version) but time will let me down so a Hobbyboss easy kit will have to do,funny

enough we were out for lunch today while wandering around the few open shops I picked up a Hobbyboss Spitfire easy kit for £2 and once home

ten minutes to remove from the sprue,sand,fill and assemble ready for painting so that bodes well for next week.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve.

I read a review of the Airfix mk22 and it took the reviewer 7 hours to build (9 but including 2 hour break). Sounds promising.

I've never built any of the hobby boss kits. So are they like snap fit kits, do they require glue? Can't complain at that price. I picked up the PR XIX from home bargains; can't recall the price but it was easy on the wallet so I had to :D

• Like 1

Cheers cookie.

Funnily enough I was just looking at your NMF PR XIX literally 1 minute ago. Bit late to get the decals now but that could have been a contender. Great job!

• Like 1

As I mentioned in the chat thread, some of the pieces have been removed from the sprues but they have not been trimmed, sanded or anything else so the kit has not been started.

29032939252_9cb472bd32_z.jpg

I can confirm, that is not a kit that has been started. Just a kit that has been gently fondled. All kits in The Stash should be fondled now and again. :D

• Like 4

This is a kit that is not without fiddly bits. The landing gear and fitting the cockpit to the fuselage challenged me. I'm sure now I've said that it'll go swimmingly. Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks Steve.

I read a review of the Airfix mk22 and it took the reviewer 7 hours to build (9 but including 2 hour break). Sounds promising.

I've never built any of the hobby boss kits. So are they like snap fit kits, do they require glue? Can't complain at that price. I picked up the PR XIX from home bargains; can't recall the price but it was easy on the wallet so I had to :D

They are snap fit Aaron or hammer fit in some cases,I tend to cut all the gubbins off and glue them old style.

• Like 1

This is a kit that is not without fiddly bits. The landing gear and fitting the cockpit to the fuselage challenged me. I'm sure now I've said that it'll go swimmingly. Good luck!

Cheers and thanks for the heads up Stosh! I think the tolerances on the new(ish) airfix kits are quite tight so will have to go easy on the paint.

They are snap fit Aaron or hammer fit in some cases,I tend to cut all the gubbins off and glue them old style.

cheers Steve, I seen the photo of the kit in you thread. Quite a nice presentation too which seems more impressive when you consider the price!

These are indeed nice kits Aaron :thumbsup:

We had an Airfix IXc group build at one of our Club Nights. All finished within two hours (OK, I'll admit that we didn't paint them :winkgrin: ), and looking good!

• Like 1

7:30 start this morning, lot of faffing about though so didn't really get into things until around 8ish. Hoped to have started earlier but hey ho. Will get some photos up later today (on my iPad which doesn't let me copy the bbcode links from Flickr).

Progress is okay, lot of annoying ejector pin marks in the most inconvenient places on the 22 cockpit pieces which for a newish kit is not that great. I just used a tippex pen and hopefully, once closed up, they shouldn't be noticed. One on the seat which is fine if you are fitting the pilot but I'm not... Some nice surface detail and when compared to the XIX, you can really see the difference. I think the latter might look a bit die cast once complete. I'm restraining myself from adding anything to it!!

Currently interior parts are drying after some primer (the cockpits have all been glued together). Once dried I can get some paint on :)

Cheers

Aaron

first cup of tea: 7:25 ish

28663881943_9041cca513_z.jpg

7:34 start, apologies for the screen saver...

29284696185_d6eb81cde3_z.jpg

8:47 cockpit parts glued together. some ejection pin holes filled with tippex

29284693845_246ce9e811_z.jpg

not long after, breakfast and another cup of tea

29284691955_8fbbd7e854_z.jpg

then painted the lights on the Mk22.

29284689995_9217552ae4_z.jpg

9:59 dry fit of parts prior to priming interior

29176272482_370763383f_z.jpg

10:30 primed

29176269572_00f5e50fdc_z.jpg

then a shower another cup of tea

11:40 Wasp enters the room!

no photos of the following but interior sprayed green and some small detail painting. waiting for all this to dry so cooking some lunch. picture will be provided.

cheers

Aaron

• Like 3

thanks cliff

lunch.

29253458796_097c029c08_z.jpg

homemade Moroccan spiced lamb, mint, apricot meatballs and some pita. Made a while back, these where leftovers from the freezer. Usually make my own pita but not exactly practical during a blitz build. Doesn't look appetizing but it sure is tasty!!!

will be having another cup of tea after this. I think thats number 4

cheers

Aaron

• Like 3

14:45 Cockpits pretty much done. PR XIX did not have a inst panel decal so used the ones from the gladiator kit as I have the eduard PE set for that. flory wash of grime applied. some highlights and a coat of Testers flat clote from the rattle can.

29211958521_4917851047_z.jpg

15:22 super fabric seat belts fitted and cocpits glued to fuselage walls

MK 22

29182234222_ff76282da9_z.jpg

PR XIX

29182230172_5e98dce9a2_z.jpg

16:13. fuselage halves glued together, wings, and pretty much most sticky out bits glued on asa well. both now looking like spitfires

29002489950_de7e5792bd_z.jpg

another brew.

Now seems a good enough time than any to tell you that I have only ever built one spitfire kit in my life. I was probably around 10 or 11. It was an airfix kit but can't recall what mk. it was. I remember it was a Canadian spit though.

cheers

Aaron

• Like 5

I did (am) having problems with the canopy on the 22 though!! Trying to use glue 'n' glaze as a quick filler to try and blend the canopy to the fuselage. Grrr!!

Dinner time. Just glued the canopies on. Letting then set. After eating will try some primer and see how gappy they are

Sprayed primer prior to eating. To allow drying time. Pressure must be getting to me! Dropped the 22! May have bit off more than I can chew. Will see how it looks after dinner. Already noted some gaps

Thank you cookie.

this was dinner

29185813612_28de68bb69_z.jpg

and now another cup of tea while I try to regain my sanity...

this really is quite tough. fun, but tough! I honestly thought I might have been close to finishing by now... I'm hoping to get some black primer on the 22. whilst that dries I can paint the XIX and the red on the spinners. I had a planned timetable in my head this morning but that went out the window around lunch time I think. So my plan for the painting sequence will probably all change too...

• Like 2

7:34 start, apologies for the screen saver...

That screen saver woulds look good on the fin of an S-3 Viking. :D

29284689995_9217552ae4_z.jpg

Utterly superb! :thumbsup:

11:40 Wasp enters the room!

Please tell me you opened the window and gently guided it out. Don't get me started on wasps...

• Like 2