VC-10 7Q-YKH, 1976

This is my most recent refurb finished. The Airfix 1/144 VC-10(Original kit) finished as 7Q-YKH of Air Malawi, 1976. Another model to my collection of a type I have flown in. The date and place was March 2nd 1976, Gatwick. A 50 minute tour of the south coast and back.

Those who have seen my refurb thread will know that I originally built the kit in the same markings many years ago and that it needed a refurb. It had to be the same colours again as I am still continuing on a personal theme building models of aircraft flown in.

Humbrol Gloss red No.19( a very old tin and still in good shape for old paint airbrushed , appliance white and Xtracrylix Light aircraft grey used. All decals by 26 Decals.( Very highly commend the silk screen line!!) The only mod I made for the rebuild was to add the inboard wing fences that I made from plastic card using the Roden parts as a template.

IMG_0613_zpsyblncfd8.jpg

IMG_0614_zps3okrtjvs.jpg

IMG_0615_zpsgyxqsnjd.jpg

IMG_0616_zps0un3igtf.jpg

IMG_0617_zpscts6lib4.jpg

IMG_0618_zpsdt3temrk.jpg

IMG_0619_zpsmq6gqni7.jpg

IMG_0620_zpsmzbq4lhp.jpg

IMG_0621_zpsnjf8zlqf.jpg

IMG_0623_zpsgtofycej.jpg

IMG_0624_zps5efi3ytp.jpg

IMG_0626_zpsl889hu72.jpg

This last image shows my main source of reference I have. Its very much worth seeking out!!

Note just in view is a Roden Super VC-10 in progress. One big error of this kit is that Roden only depict thrust reversers on the outboard engines whereas they should be on all four!! All the pics in the publication I have show this feature very well!!

I could have done this for the Airliner GB but was started and got beyond being legit for the GB rules. Undecided on a scheme for it yet but in the meantime I hope you like my latest!!

• Like 22

Very nice. On a personal note: I am going to own an aquarium fish from Lake Malawi known scientifically as Placidochromis milomo, or commonly as the Super VC-10. The people responsible for exporting said specimens at the start of cichlid boom in Europe and N.America named it after the plane they most commonly flew in.

It would be nice to own one in 1/72! I'll keep an eye out for more of your refurbs.

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

Nice refurb! I think I need to do some refurbs on my older models especially to get rid of the yellowed white enamel I used to use.

Looking forward to your Super VC10. You mentioned the thrust reversers, initially all VC10s were fitted with 4 but later these were reduced to just the outer engines as depicted by the Roden kit. So this is not an error.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

It's turned out really well Paul. All of the hard work during the refurb has certainly paid dividends.

Of all overseas operators of the VC-10, this is the most attractive livery by far. (After Gulf Air of course) :tease:

Chris.

Hi Paul,

Nice refurb! I think I need to do some refurbs on my older models especially to get rid of the yellowed white enamel I used to use.

Looking forward to your Super VC10. You mentioned the thrust reversers, initially all VC10s were fitted with 4 but later these were reduced to just the outer engines as depicted by the Roden kit. So this is not an error.

Cheers,

Ian

Cheers Ian.

Interesting about those reversers. I'll have a closer look at all the pics in the booklet I have and elsewhere. But I strongly suspect that you are right.

It would be nice to own one in 1/72! I'll keep an eye out for more of your refurbs.

I plan a few more. A couple are airliners A comet and BAC 1-11 both Airfix.

• Like 1

That's absolutely lovely and a very attractive scheme. Gawd, the VC-10 was a beautiful aircraft. The build certainly does it justice. I wish today's designers would take inspiration from the past when creating airline schemes. Most modern ones look so tacky in comparison.

Modern airline schemes seem to be designed with the convenience of the leasing company in mind. When the airline goes bust, repainting just the tail is a lot cheaper than doing the whole fuselage :(

The company Hi Fly go one better_ they don't have any colour! Just plain white on their A -340s.

As for the VC-10 by Air Malawi I think its one of the nicest carried by the aircraft hotly followed by BCAL and then EAA .

The company Hi Fly go one better_ they don't have any colour! Just plain white on their A -340s.

As for the VC-10 by Air Malawi I think its one of the nicest carried by the aircraft hotly followed by BCAL and then EAA .

BOAC blue and gold for me.

Well done Paul, nice job. Super inbd reversers were deleted before end of service. Probably before BA started . IRC. So either two or four are correct on BOAC anyway.

Forgot to mention the VC10 walkround page. SGC has only 2 outbd reversers.

Edited by bzn20

Fantastic work! I love that aircraft! I really like your smooth gloss finish as well. I'm currently doing a Red Arrows Gnat and a 727 and struggling to get a gloss finish, half the reason most my models are weathered, so I really appreciate your work!

• Like 1

Thanks all!

I seem to have a 'thing' for doing civvy 'planes at the mo. Just dug out my Special Hobby Lodestar and Draw decals for Mid Continent Airlins shiny bird, Revell 1/144 Connie and as mentioned planned refurbs of my Airfix Comet 4B and BAC 1-11

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've had these decals in my stash for far too long and I've always wondered what they'd look like on the kit.

Thanks to your brilliant build, I'd say the decals look pretty damn smart !

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

Thanks for the inspiration.

mike