1/144 Minicraft 777-200 (Japan Airlines)

Ok this will be my second entry into the GB.

While waiting to secure a new kit for my 1st build the Soyuz 733, why not get cracking on this one.

The Minicraft model is quite large compared to some smaller airliners I have been working on...I'm almost at the limit of my photo studio!

28518218263_1fa71ba455_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

29103989446_71b3e7983c_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

Draw Decal will be providing the markings...

29136864595_c97374c152.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

This is the Pratt and Whitney boxing of this kit...although it took a little time to figure that out as the kit was released separately with each of the 3 engine suppliers. The instructions lead one to believe these are Roll Royce units.

29031768842_058f1f79f4_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

29104319766_64666e9ef5_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

Thanks for looking I switched from my Nikon to iPhone for those last shots...eeesh they look gloomy!

More pics to follow.

Ryan

Edited by The 3rd Placer
  • Like 3

I have built (and am building) 4 of these so far. It goes together quite quickly.

Not sure how much correction you may do Ryan but you will find quite a few parts with squared off shapes rather than rounded. These include the fin and tail pane leading edges and the flap track fairings on the wings. I am getting pretty good at reshaping them now.

Top wing is unmodified, bottom shows about a half hour work to reshape.

144_B777_04_zpsoprawgz9.jpg

I flew on one of these last night and by golly what a great airline JAL is. Amazing service and the greatest J class seat I have had the luck to sleep on (shame the typhoon in the Sea of Japan made it a tad bumpy). Looking forward to seeing this finished.

• Like 1

Got some engine work done last night.

To make painting easier I cut off the base of the cone shaped fairing at the rear of the engine. Minicraft would have you glue this part up with it trapped inside both halves. Fine idea...but makes clean up and painting harder. The pics tell the story better, in the last shot the cut off disk is seen glued inside the engine casing.

29062655462_e33d820d51_c.jpgUntitled by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

29090375431_268c698c5b_c.jpgUntitled by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

29090374761_6952e9bfc3_c.jpgUntitled by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

More soon, thanks for looking.

Ryan

• Like 4

Hey guys, just a small update...

This kit has a lot of really thick detail, the engine exhaust has not been spared as seen below. Orange paint helps me see the edge while in scraping and sanding away. The shaped is weirdly misshapen, the inside of the exhaust seems round while the outside is oval shaped with a squashed bottom.

29012641140_fbdd851c62_b.jpgExhaust Thinning by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

Ryan

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Oh that's bad news but good news about the engines. I'm looking forward to getting a few engines myself. 

Could you finish it engine less and move this thread to the WIP for final work? I've got a feeling that some of mine will end up there...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Mike for moving this over, lets see if I can finish it here now!

Updates to follow, but I'm just back from the UK from my first visit there and to Telford, what a trip...my top three takeaways from Britain:

1. Very nice people.

2. Very small roads

3. Roundabouts.....

I also managed to snag the new Braz 777 PW engine set that I will profile soon with my build, they are stunning.

Ryan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...