Spitfire IXc above wing cannon blister fairings

MigModeller

Hi all

Please can someone explain why some IXc s have a bulbous cannon fairing such as found on the Airfiix 1/72 IXc and some a slim cannon fairing such as found on the new Eduard 1/72 IXc?

I was not aware of this until I read the August edition of SAM. Pg 12 has a mini review of the new Eduard 1/72 IXc. This I compared with my, thankfully, unmade Airfix spitfire.

The two 1/72 Spitfires I'm hoping to make are:

IXc MJ637 (Merlin 66 engine) "DU*B"

IXc MK915 (pink Recce.) "V"

Any suggestions on their fairings very welcome.

M.M.

In the Eduard "early" IXc kit one of the options, EN568 (AL) - first flown 29/3/43 - is shown with the narrow cannon blisters. The other 4 options are all shown with the wide blisters. Although I have no corroborating evidence, it is conceivable that narrow blisters could have been fitted when repairing damaged aircraft.

Interestingly, EN358 is an LF (M66). I had thought - wrongly ? - that LFs were "late" IXs. Oh dear, Ow sad, Never mind

EN358 was an RR conversion from a Mk.V airframe and a Merlin 63. EN568 ditto but one of a batch of M66 aircraft which extends to June 1943. Otherwise the Merlin 66 (LF) appears with MH350 July/August 1943. (Ok, I may have missed one/some.) Presumably the first engines, in limited numbers, were kept for the RR line.

Edited by Graham Boak

EN358 was an RR conversion from a Mk.V airframe and a Merlin 63. EN568 ditto but one of a batch of M66 aircraft which extends to June 1943. Otherwise the Merlin 66 (LF) appears with MH350 July/August 1943. (Ok, I may have missed one/some.) Presumably the first engines, in limited numbers, were kept for the RR line.

Thanks for that Graham.

Would the batch of 66 to which refer be more correctly classified as LFs

"M66" is short for "Merlin 66" which is the low-rated engine, so yes. Hence the LF in brackets.

Four cannon were always an option (I believe the main intention) with the universal wing i.e. the C wing. It was the desired standard armament for RAF fighters at the time and initially also required by the Admiralty to cope with the well-armoured BV138 shadowers. However, it was literally a heavy armament and having weights outboard affected the agility of the aircraft. It also shortened the time of firing. There's some room for doubt about the reason why 4 cannon Spits were sent to Malta on the first two deliveries. It has been said that they were only sent in order to provide a cannon spares stock on the island, but this information does not seem have been passed on to the island. Taqali pilots found the aircraft's performance/handling reduced, and required their removal (Lucas testimony), but it seems that Hal Far pilots retained them - they can be seen on Barnham's aircraft in a well-known series of publicity photographs. If it was known whether or not they retained the outer wing machine guns on delivery, that would help resolve the matter. Several aircraft had the cannon retained in the outer position: it is said that this was because Malta used the inboard position to hold a carrier for fighter-bomber missions, although this seems unlikely to be an early priority. However although not standardised they could always be fitted, and one of the SAAF fighter units in Italy had four cannon for the ground attack role. Two RAAF Mk.VIIIs were fitted with four cannon at Darwin.

The Certificate of Design for the Type 361 (ie Spitfire lX) stated: To offset the increased weight of the powetplant the armament is limited to ( a ) 2 cannon and 4 Browning guns ( b ) 8 Browning guns.

This was followed by Modification 683, dated August 11, 1942 (also applicable to other marks, including the Mk.V), to standardise armament as 4 Browning .303 in. and 2 Hispano 20 mm. Guns.

Edited by 303sqn

The decision to restrict the armament to 2+4 for the Vc and the IX would explain why the thinner blisters were designed and introduced. Presumably this was also true for the Mks VII, VIII etc. However that didn't stop the SAAF or RAAF from fitting four cannon in 1944, clearly dependent upon a supply of panels with the earlier blister.

Hi all

Please can someone explain why some IXc s have a bulbous cannon fairing such as found on the Airfiix 1/72 IXc and some a slim cannon fairing such as found on the new Eduard 1/72 IXc

U

???? Both kits represent the thin cannon fairing (over one gun) rather than the wide two cannon blister. Comparing side by side, they are slightly different ( not sure which is more accurate) but both are the later type.

The Airfix mk IX isn't too bad a kit. It's interesting that the Eduard one is very close dimensionally, bearing out the fact that Airfix got their length right and most earlier 60 series Merlin kits were too short. It does benefit from some of the extra parts in the Eduard kit!!!

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...