Tiger Models bf109e converted to a G6

Yep, back from holidays with a raging head cold/flu and I had to get stuck into something as I have been going mad without building some kind of models :) .

While I was away the Retrowings conversions and aftermarket bits for these little character planes can in from Belgium. The look nice with good casting and some useful bits and pieces. The Retrowings cockpit set for the bf 109 has a resin plug so you can pull your own vacuform canopies so I just had to try and modify it to make a late model one piecer for the G6. I made a mold and then cast a resin copy, then sanded off the cast canopy frames and used thin styrene strips to make the new ones. Then cast a resin copy of that to make a master to pull some vac canopies. All straight forward in theory but I haven't done this before and I've spent the whole weekend making a lot of mess and very nearly one okay-ish canopy. The not so gentle art of vacuforming will need some more practice before I can say I even know what I am doing. I think there is a subtle mix of heat, timing and the right kind/thickness of clear material which I haven't got quite right yet. In the end I had my best results with the cover of some fresh fruit bought from the local supermarket :D .

I haven't used many of the parts from the Retrowings conversion kit, just the gun bulges and the neat little intake scoop. I have used the prop and spinner from an old 1/48 scale Revell Me109 G10 kit as I wanted some big paddle blades and the conversion has thinner prop blades. I will be using the new resin seat( very nice) and the rest of the cockpit set so still well worth the small cost. I have started to rough in some of the details, new scribed details and the armoured head rest from brass sheet.

Progress;

Cute%20109G%2002.jpg

Cute%20109G%2001.jpg

I am going to paint in a two tone grey scheme, with underslung cannon gondolas :)

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan

Progress?

Cute%20109G%2003.jpg

Cute%20109G%2004.jpg

Comments on another forum got me to thinking about using 1/32 scale spinners. I had spent some time messing about with one before I went with the 1/48 scale one. The biggest problem was that I'd need to make a new prop as the 1/48 scale one would be too small to work with the cut down 1/32 scale spinner. This morning I went hunting through my spares boxes and found a 1/48 scale 109 prop made separate blades. This let me bodge something together and come up with this result.

I think I like it better but I'll let it go for a while as I can always go back to the smaller one if needs be.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for looking in on my little madness.

Dan

• Like 2

Progress;

Wing tips, wheel bulges and canon gondolas all on. Just need to sort the wheel hubs and the tail before I do the cockpit. I'm starting to look around for a funky paint scheme to finish her in. I'm looking for something suitably cartoonish. Any ideas?

Cute%20109G%2007.jpg

Cute%20109G%2008.jpg

Cute%20109G%2009.jpg

About time to get to some painting as too much grey going on round here ;)

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 2

Somewhere on here there was a discussion about a certain G6 which had circles over the fuselage as its camo scheme.

Not sure where that thread is right now.

Edit; found it

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235007599-me-109-f-2-hans-von-hahns-ac-info-required/

sorry, not a G6 but an F2

• Like 1

Progress;

Cute%20109G%2010.jpg

Spent most of today on pulling three new canopies and fitting each one to the cockpit opening. This one is the best fitting and clearest of the lot. Not perfect but I will look okay once painted, I hope...

Landing gear sorted, the new wheel centres are cut out from the wheels of an old Revell 1/48 me109g10 kit which are exactly the right size. I need to start on the cockpit so I can seal this one up and get to painting.

I'm very happy the canopy is pretty much sorted as that bit was worrying me a bit.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Well, sometimes life just gets in the way and the squirrels take you in different directions.  Nevertheless sometimes ya come right round and pick up where ya left off.

One of the things that put me off working on this little critter was that I couldn't face scratching another cockpit. I'd done a whole bunch in a row and was a bit burned out.  Nothing like four years to get you back in the mood.  So progress was made;

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've also ditched the vac canopy as I just couldn't get it to work.  So I have carefully sanded off the main canopy frame and polished it as best I can.  It will get a  new frame from styrene strip and a dip in Future.  Not perfect but at least it fits.

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's a darn shame that Tiger didn't release a second wave of these kits.  They are so much fun to build.  I'd love a Stuka or a Hurricane or a FW190 or a Mustang ( B or D ) or a ....

Well, I hope you like the little beastie.  I'm looking forward to getting to the paint after all this time.

Edited by ScanmanDan
  • Like 2

• ScanmanDan changed the title to Tiger Models bf109e converted to a G6

I have managed to get some paint on the interior and the canopy is has been polished and dipped in Future to get a nice clear shiny look.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

After looking over these pictures I notice that I have to remove the antenna post and scratch a new replacement antenna.  Then I can do the basic assembly and get some paint on this bird.

• Like 3

Darn those Squrrels! This is looking great. I think I remember it from four years ago, but it's lodged in my head now.

Yes, more of these would have been good. Mostly because they'd be cheap on ebay by now, and I could buy some!

• Like 1

I've purposely left this one alone so that the Future on the canopy can dry really hard, I'm a bit worried it might lift when I take off the masking.  Meanwhile I've  busied myself with painting details.  

Here's where I'm at.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I see I need to fix the chin radiator before I shoot the primer.  Well, that's one reason for taking this kind of in progress pic.  To spot things you don't even see when you have the kit in your hand and you are working on it.  

I'm looking forward to working up some vinyl masks for this one.  So we'll see what I can whip up.

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 1