Pocher Bugatti T50 Coupé de Ville: a resurrection

Well...for someone who is not an experienced 'scratch builder'....I would say that is an amazing piece of work....absolutely first class.

Regards

Ron

I'm flattered Ron, because YOU are an experienced scratchbuilder and extra-detailling modeller :confused:

I'm flattered Ron, because YOU are an experienced scratchbuilder and extra-detailling modeller :confused:

You do yourself an injustice my friend....I would be very happy indeed to attain that level...I am a 'Basic' scratch builder by your standards....superb work as said.

Regards

Ron

• Like 1

On 04/09/2016 at 8:28 AM, silver911 said:

You do yourself an injustice my friend....I would be very happy indeed to attain that level...I am a 'Basic' scratch builder by your standards....superb work as said.

Regards

Ron

Really Ron, without lacking of humility, I do not know what to answer to that great compliment...I'm confused because when I look at which summits other modellers reach, I'm envious of their know-how, and I try to do as well as they do, but really I'm never entirely satisfied...

However, thank you very much for the judgement :shrug:

Edited by CrazyCrank
Grammar

I have to say that this the first time I've seen working linkage and it's great! Scratch building takes an inventive mind and a lot of patience of which, you seem to possess in spades. Wonderful work on this Bugatti; it's making me want to look again at my next planned build and think a little more out of the box on what I have planned for upgrades. The Mercedes was my first Pocher and it evolved as it went along and I made a mistakes. The next one will be thought out better; and you really have me thinking. Thanks for getting me thinking and getting excited about the next build. All you need now is the sound of the Bugatti's engine when you press on the accelerator pedal!

• Like 2

I have to say that this the first time I've seen working linkage and it's great! Scratch building takes an inventive mind and a lot of patience of which, you seem to possess in spades. Wonderful work on this Bugatti; it's making me want to look again at my next planned build and think a little more out of the box on what I have planned for upgrades. The Mercedes was my first Pocher and it evolved as it went along and I made a mistakes. The next one will be thought out better; and you really have me thinking. Thanks for getting me thinking and getting excited about the next build. All you need now is the sound of the Bugatti's engine when you press on the accelerator pedal!

Thanks a lot Larchiefeng for this nice critic...

And I don' know if I've tho thank you for your last comment, because you've given me a new challenge :banghead::banghead::yikes:

This is probably my last post on this topic for my modeller work, for the next 3 weeks, because I will be on Holidays in Canada from friday 9th of september to saturday 25th.

I'll have a hard job to do at my office with my patients until my departure and will have no time in the evening to build anything....but I'll be always thinking about...

So, here are the latest improvements on my Bug:

1/ Radiator mounted on the frame and connected to water manifold and water pump

28823334913_e04a71e511_z.thumb.jpg.593de

29156585720_62c8961e75_z_(1).thumb.jpg.8

29336872812_d803942cf7_z.thumb.jpg.90b51

28821241504_aaf7820d30_z.thumb.jpg.71061

29364780641_79e9bf35a7_z.thumb.jpg.b485b

29365898821_269849c277_z.thumb.jpg.997a7

29411487196_14f72db9f4_z.thumb.jpg.cb954

28824031043_fb615b820e_z.thumb.jpg.a8360

The radiator cap is'nt the one of the kit.

I've bought this one on aftermarket supplier : http://model-motorcars.myshopify.com/

it's bronze cast and silver plated

2/ Connecting cable between dashboard temperature display and the radiator has been installed

It's scratchbuilt with a 38 gauge guitar string !! (I've borrowed it to Roymattblack :shutup::oops::guitar::nono::confused: )

29444615825_3c2a762189_m.thumb.jpg.59822

29336445192_51531d2e56_z.thumb.jpg.056f7

29444604495_ba3dc611d5_z.thumb.jpg.13682

3/ Speedometer cable that connect, on the one hand to the gearbox, and to the dashboard speedo and odo meter on the other, has been installed too.

At the moment, it runs from the gearbox, and goes to the front of the car, goes under the firewall, and then crosses through it via a hole.

It's scratchbuilt too with guitar string !! (Sorry Roy :sorry: )

29364920841_25294e8ca4_z.thumb.jpg.6f205

29444668535_da5760e086_m.thumb.jpg.a9e0b

29410414416_c12191876b_z.thumb.jpg.34f64

29336397672_694e455d3e_z.thumb.jpg.038dd

29336400862_2077de4038_z.thumb.jpg.7c660

4/ Last but not least, a cable connecting the rear of the left engine cover and the dashboard, crossing through the firewall, via the same hole, has been installed.

I made it, after looking at the ref. photos. I think it connects to the tachometer on the dashboard.

It too, is scratchbuilt with guitar string !! (I will restore them to Roy once this topic achieved, in 2 or 3 years :fraidnot: )

29410279036_b497eceb37_z.thumb.jpg.c2ea1

Now, I'm looking for documentation, if exists, to connect the fueltank with the fuelgauge on the dashboard...

Has everyone any idea ?

When I'll come back from holidays, I'll work on these jobs to achieve the chassis.:

- Implant firewall supports (I could have built them from scratch, but i was slacker, and order them to MMC)

- Install a cable that connect fuel tank and fuel gauge on the dash

- Scratchbuild a battery and install it.

- Install the functional braking cables. I'm thinking to enhance the kit system,  replacing some pulleys by sprockets and using chain in addition of the cables. 

- Install the carrier floorboard

- install the alu floor mat, glue and bolt it

- install the 3 pedals. About them, I'm thinking to replace the poor kit plastic parts, by brass scratch-built ones. I must reflect still more.

- disassemble the 6 wheels in order to identify lefts and rights,  make a new realistic paint,  replace valves,  and repair the oxidized rims and bezels. This last job requires to buy and electrolytic plating system.

- buy the MMC lighting kit and install the electronic control board

- and then a great work on the dashboard, that will be strongly modified and enhanced (wood plated or even entirely wooden made, lighting, scratch-built switches,  connection with cables etc.)

- light weathering of engine a d engine compartment. 

Stay tuned, thanks for looking and liking, if you like

Thierry

Edited by CrazyCrank
Revision
  • Like 3

Very kind of you, Ron, thanks for this nice comment !

"It doesn't get any better than this"........That's how i'll do worse next time ?............I'm joking my friend ! :coolio:

It's always possible to get better, at least to better ourselves...and, as you probably noticed, I'm a perfectionist, often unsatisfied....

This explain why I systematically try to surpass myself.....However, until a certain extent.

Unbelievable mastership.

The detailing and the working linkages. Keep it coming (but first enjoy your vacation).

Very kind comment, Pouln, thanks a lot....and yes, I'll keep coming, if my plane doesn't crash :banghead: :banghead: (I hate to fly :sick: )

Very kind of you, Ron, thanks for this nice comment !

"It doesn't get any better than this"........That's how i'll do worse next time ?............I'm joking my friend ! :coolio:

It's always possible to get better, at least to better ourselves...and, as you probably noticed, I'm a perfectionist, often unsatisfied....

This explain why I systematically try to surpass myself.....However, until a certain extent.

To get better...we must first be happy with where we are....you should be more than happy.

Nothing wrong with seeking perfection....as long as you accept it is but a dream....but dreams are what keep us going....in pursuit of that elusive 'perfection' :winkgrin:

Ron

• Like 1

My "darling" casted me a spell....I'd decided not to work on my car since I come back from Canada...but it has been impossible !

So this evening, I've undertaken a project what I thought it could be quickly achieved....and that took me 4 hours !

I'm not very satisfied with the kit photo-etched part which claims to be the screw -butterfly of the oil filter housing on the left of the firewall.

It's a metal helix on a plastic nipple.

28883727554_3d9decb871_z.jpg

28886505063_69d1061d53_z.jpg

The purpose is to replace this uggly part with a nice brass one, which will really look to a screw-butterfly, as on the reference photos

i'd wanted to scratchbuild one, and I've made two, because the first one, although rather nice, was out of scale (too big)

Here is the tutorial of the manufacturing process of the second and good one:

1/ Take two brass tubes of 2 mm and 1.3 mm outer diameter

28883747574_582b1aedd8_z.jpg

2/ Drill one end of the 2 mm tube with a 1.4 mm drill to pierce it

29428439951_0cdd8854d2.jpg

3/ cut a 15 mm length of this 2 mm tube

4/ cut a 15 mm lenght of the 1.3 mm tube

5/ thread the1.3 mm tube in the hole drilled on the 2 mm tube

6/ Hold the assembly with a helping hand, for instance

29508607805_2dc1fcf609_z.jpg

7/ Light the soldering torch and prepare your soldering rod (silver for me)

29219114230_52ab9e15ce_z.jpg

8/ heat solder and your brass assembly and be on your own to pour molten solder IN the interior of the 2 mm tube...OK that's soldered !

29219099590_5afbce6414_z.jpg

9/ Sand the assembly to remove the excess of solder and give the assembly its initial shape

29400022322_94634e62df.jpg

10/ Bend the two 1.3 mm tubes

28883667324_b51afdcd10.jpg

11/ Cut these ends to the appropriate lenght, and then, flatten them strongly with pliers

28883670824_8586058609_z.jpg

12/ Sand, polish, cut the 2 mm tube to the appropiate lenght, sand and polish again and that is what you'll get

29508676585_0c0a0a6a25.jpg   29219177290_da65fc7ece.jpg

On the original oil filter housing, this butterfly continues with a threaded rod, which cross through the housing and the filter, to bolt on the bse of the housing

And now, it's really time to bed...

All that remains is:

- cut the plastic nipple of the oil filter housing

- drill the housing on its center with a 1 mm bit

- Glue a 1 mm rod into the firewall end of the new screw-butterfly

- And glue it in the oil filter housing

I'll probably do that tomorrow evening...pictures on this topic if achieved

Have a good night, folks :sleep_1:

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 3

Well, this important part to scratchbuild has been achevied.

On a real Bugatti oil filter, the screw-butterfly continues by a threaded rod passing through the housing

So I've added it

28904940273_7b71e9c0f7.jpg

And then screwed the butterfly on the oil filter housing

Before the small job

28883727554_3d9decb871_z.jpg

And after

29492749326_a912b62b2f.jpg

28902050604_a5cf804871.jpg

I'm quite happy with it, which seems always a bit too large for the housing...but, it has exactly the same dimensions as the kit one....so, I'll dont modify it again.

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 1

Bugatti was a true sculptor...

Everything is so "aesthetical", practical and ergonomic in a Bugatti

Well spotted and executed Thierry.

What happened to your plane ? no vacation take off till now ? :pilot:

Your words about Bugatti sound right, I agree :thumbsup2:

My plane haven't crashed before I get on, but it could do it after !!! :mental:

I'm working tomorrow and will fly to meet my son on Friday :pilot::giles:

• Like 1