Pocher Bugatti T50 Coupé de Ville: a resurrection

incredible precision and craftsmanship as usual dear Thierry. Thank for posting the 'how', very interesting. 

Hélas, je découvre à l'instant que ta santé n'est pas au top pour le moment. J'espère de tout coeur que tu vas te rétablir aussi vite que possible et tu vas résoudre ce problème comme tu sais si bien le faire et solutionner tous les 'challenges' qui te font face et de manière brillante et que je t'admire chez toi.  

i hope your health gets back to perfect as soon as possible. Thierry, I have confidence that you know how and can manage and hopefully resolve this additional challenge as well as the best experts can. Wishing you all the courage and energy you need.

sam

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I will keep following your progress. What else can I say? Modelling metal is beyond my capabilities, I can only mold plastic and wood. Keep going man! And let us know.

• Like 1

Thierry, after catching-up the last two pages, I am laughing violently with foam coming out my lips and tears in my eyes. I can picture myself trying this - hunched over on my stool in dim light, holding that tiny part between my knees and hacking away with a variety of knives, files and pliers - just like when I was eight.

You, like a few of our other scratchbuilders, are using imagination, skill and cunning to force machine tools to create art. Except Harvey who creates art with blacksmith tools. :confused:

Truly a different level than we mere model builders...stay well and don't stop.  :whip::)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hear about your health issues, Thierry. But happy to see that you feel well enough to restart your work.

It took me quite some time to catch up with your build, but man, I’m totally speechless with what you are creating here.

Fantastic work!

• Like 1

Thank you so much, @Pouln. Unfortunately, I haven't time enough to spend actually for this build. I'm alone at my office and have to face alone the workload of 3 GPs !

But all the job to do soon is planed !

Thank you very much, @Pascal

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh work. It interferes way too much with the important job at hand. Hope someone will relief you of (part of) your duties soon. 

• 4 months later...

I would like to start by apologizing for my absence during too many months... I'm still alive but in very bad health status .

After having a covered stent on my right external iliac artery in January, I've always actually a sciatica by slipped disc since end of February, which leads to a strong pain and cause a permanent disability.

It's been very difficult for me to continue working at my office, frequently alone because sicknesses of my partners (my wife, who had a knee prothesis, and my friend, who have had a cardiac valve replacement), suffering each minute which this f.... sciatica, and simultaneously managing the sale of my parents house, the sale of my previous medical office, my younger Canadian son wedding French reception in August, and to help my older son and his wife to manage and educate their adorable daughter Emma, who's at 21 months, a true Pippi Longstocking, a very turbulent but lovely child.

Very recently, I've had an epidural injection for my sciatica, and I've been totally alleviated during ... 20 hours ! Then, the pain has turned on again, as strong as it was before....so, null benefit and back to square one !

You can imagine that, resulting of all those disorders, I've not been able to sit at my workbench  and that the building of my dear LadyBug hasn't made any progress.

However, since yesterday,  I've been able to put my messy worshop in order, and I've sorted out all the good, and bad, parts, of my Bugatti, thus preparing my "Back to the future" of this big scale construction.

And, to practice a bit after so many days, I've begun a new kit, that I've purchased more than 25 years ago, a plastic model of a Talbot Lago Record 1950,  1/24 scale by Heller.

So, you could quickly see a new post, relating the slow building, day after day, of this very pretty (and expensive) vintage car.

Thanks for watching, and stay tuned if you like :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

39 minutes ago, CrazyCrank said:

I would like to start by apologizing for my absence during too many months... I'm still alive but in very bad health status .

Dear Thierry, I too am sickened by this sad news. I remember the first wedding and now an angel granddaughter has appeared. Plus a new marriage will bring more joy to the family. And hopefully offset the current difficulties.

But suffering by your lady and associate plus severe pain daily for you is just a terrible set of circumstances. My heart goes out to you all.

Conserve your strength my friend and keep your morale up despite the troubled times. Know that many of us have enormous respect for your accomplishments, abilities and kindnesses to all of us.

-And Thierry, there were NO bad parts to the Bug. :cheers:

• Like 3

Sad news indeed. I concur with both previous speakers and would only add that although all of us are anxious to see you resume the Bugatti build, it is nice once in awhile to start something of easier nature. The Talbot Lago is a beautiful design and I’m sure you’ll enjoy working on it. 

I do hope your bad luck will turn around soon.

• Like 3

Pity, I've still and always bad luck !

I forgot to say that I've had a month ago a tendon rupture of the extensor at the base of the distal phalanx of my third left finger (as I had at my right hand five years ago, after a bike crash !)

This kind of injury (so called "mallet finger"):

48350759602_8041497c6c.jpg

Hi Thiery, the last thing you need to do is apologize for your circumstances and health issues. I hope you will feel better to pick up your work on the lady bug, but don’t rush it. Health of you and your dearest ones is way more important.

Enjoy the new project! 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Thierry, I am looking forward to seeing more of your progress on this model. It will be a real show piece when it is completed.

I see that you have used MMC (Model Motor Cars).

They supply many replacement parts to improve those old Pocher classics.

I have Pocher's original Mercedes kit to build and see that they have many replacement parts for that model as well.

Personally I would rather have a Bugatti T50 to build with the standard bodywork, but they are getting very expensive on EBay.

Maybe one day someone would like to swap me a Bugatti for my Merc. Who knows?

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2020 at 4:16 PM, Noel Smith said:

Thierry, I am looking forward to seeing more of your progress on this model. It will be a real show piece when it is completed.

I see that you have used MMC (Model Motor Cars).

They supply many replacement parts to improve those old Pocher classics.

I have Pocher's original Mercedes kit to build and see that they have many replacement parts for that model as well.

Personally I would rather have a Bugatti T50 to build with the standard bodywork, but they are getting very expensive on EBay.

Maybe one day someone would like to swap me a Bugatti for my Merc. Who knows?

Many thanks, Noel, for having resurrected from its grave my Bug's thread !

I understand perfectly why you would like to have a Pocher Bugatti T50 to build.

Mine can't be swapped with any other Pocher, because, even though I'm not working on it since one year, she's the apple of my eye, and all what I need to do to achieve this model is already planned in my mind.

I'll be retired on 01/01/2021 and would then have all the needed time to put her on the bench.

And be sure that I would be happy too, to get a Pocher Mercedes for a cheap price on the net, but actually, as for the Bugattis, they are prohibitively expansive !

CC

• Like 1

Thierry, thanks for the feedback. I hope that you did not get the wrong idea as I was not suggesting that you swap your Bugatti for my Mercedes.

Basically I will just be looking out for one that might come up somewhere. Sometimes they come up where someone may have started one and found the model to be more difficult than they thought, so I will be looking for one that may be part built and abandoned to rebuild or restore. I can understand your Bugatti being the apple of your eye and I am sure that as an experienced modeller you will get a lot of enjoyment from building it. I have scratch built a Type 59 Bugatti and there are a few pictures on this site's gallery. It is a bit smaller in 1/16th scale. Or simply go onto the web and type in Noel Smith Bugatti and it will throw up some pics.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/5/2020 at 11:15 PM, brian davey said:

I read your entire thread, even took notes. This is an super outstanding build, a build that I would love to be able to do. I am looking to seeing more of your incredible work, Bravo!

Please be patient ....I'll be back soon :)

• Like 2