Pocher Bugatti T50 Coupé de Ville: a resurrection

Hi Thierry. Today I was at Louwman museum once more ('father/daughter-day').

This time I was just a tourist, allowed to take pictures from the side and I can publish them in your thread. Perhaps they are of use in some way. 

• Like 3

A thousand thanks, Roy, for this great video. I've noticed some interesting details that will help me later. 👍👍👍

What a beautiful car ! Leave you to write immediatly to Santa Claus: I want  one in my shoes for Christmas :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Evening, Chaps :)

First of all, a Happy New Year 2019 for all of you, your friends and your families :)

I've not been very present on the forum, and even less on my own thread these last weeks 🙄.

And I want to apologize for that, because I've only read some threads and put some LIKE here and there, without entering any discussion 😟

The truth is that I've suffered a severe pathology since several weeks 😪: a few days after I went back home from Canada, I've had what I thought to be a right renal colic, as in June and July.

Things appeared to be back in order, when I have had 2 or 3 recurrences.

Last but not least I began to feel a bit worried, and had some radiological examinations..... and the verdict was devastating: I hadn't a renal colic but an artery dissection on the right external iliac artery. 😮

The surgeon wasn't very enthusiastic  to the idea of operating me, thinking that the arterial injury could auto-repair itself as time goes by.

But the disease's evolution, with permanent pain and disability, and the risk of further deterioration, have finally convinced him to make something.

I've had to wait 2 long weeks, once the decision was made, before going on the operating table, because of Christmas and New Year holidays, and need for ordering a special endoprothesis.

That has been made last Friday and I've had a covered stent (8 mm diameter over 85 mm long) implanted in my external iliac artery.

I feel better now, and the greatest danger is over, but I'm extremely tired, both physically and mentally, and I'm absolutely unable to return to my workbench at the moment.

I need time to recover my strength and my mind.

But be sure that I'm not going to abandon my work on this precious "LadyBug".

I'm quite able to entertain on Fusion 360 and think to solutions for several construction problems such as actuating brakes, exhaust pipes, dashboard, and  I look at 3D printers with interest etc.

So, I hope you won't be too eager to see any progress on my build.

Many thanks to all of you for your advices, comments, critics and kind support.

Stay tuned if you like :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Thierry,

I'm so sorry to hear of your health issues but, I am glad to hear that you are going to recover and are currently on the mend!! I'm familiar with health issues although mine were different and more than likely not as serious but, I can certainly empathize. Here's hoping to a speedy and complete recovery!! Our little fraternity of Pocher builders seems to be getting smaller and yours is one of the pre-eminent builds on the forum so, take care and we'll be looking forward to your return!!

• Like 4

Hi Thierry....... Wishing you well with your recovery, and try to stay positive ( that's easy for me to say, I know )

I have the utmost admiration for any scale model car builders that take on a Pocher kit....... and you WILL get there my friend !!!

David

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 3:26 PM, CrazyCrank said:

But be sure that I'm not going to abandon my work on this precious "LadyBug".

I'm quite able to entertain on Fusion 360 and think to solutions for several construction problems such as actuating brakes, exhaust pipes, dashboard, and  I look at 3D printers with interest etc.

So, I hope you won't be too eager to see any progress on my build.

Many thanks to all of you for your advices, comments, critics and kind support.

Stay tuned if you like :)

I think we're all more eager to see progress on your medical recovery. Thierry, I've come  late to this news and am distressed to see the severity of your condition. Lord willing, you had as excellent a surgeon as you are a doctor and model builder.

Godspeed your complete recovery and continued spectacular model building.

I look forward to both.

C:cheers:

• Like 3

Salut Thierry,

je découvre à l'instant (je ne prends pas assez le temps d'aller voir les autres forums et notamment le tien) les gros soucis de santé auxquels tu as dû faire face. J'en suis sincèrement désolé et je te souhaite, comme tout un chacun, un très rapide rétablissement, et la possibilité de reprendre très vite cette réalisation hors du commun de cette voiture extraordinaire (super, la vidéo de Roy, et sympa, les petites apparitions et commentaires de ce que je suppose être son fils).

Amitiés

Olivier

• Like 1

Good evening chaps

I've begun to work on the Fusion 360's project of a new brake axis which incorporate an elliptic section.

This elliptic section will act, as on the Pocher part, as a cam whose function is to spread the brake jaws when the brake lever of a drum is pulled backward (or forward fir the rear brake) by the brake cables.

Hereunder several pictures of my fusion project.

At resting state, the gray (steel) rod will be pulled backward by a spring, and this mechanism (thanks to PROPELLER) will pull forward the brake lever on the drum, providing a good tensioning of the brake cables.

If the "driver/modeller" press down the brake pedal, the brake lever will be pulled backward, the gray rod will move forward, enlarging the spring, and when the modeler will release the brake pedal, the spring will compress, pulling backward the rod and forward the brake lever.

The two jaws of the bake drum will be  joined, as on the Pocher system, by a spring which ensure the jaws will get closer when the brake pedal is released.

This mechanism hasn't be tested yet, only in my mind, but I think I've found the way to create it.

46751820692_bd3df3f227_z.jpg

46079422244_50d504cc75_z.jpg

46751820332_309461ee7e_z.jpg

46751820692_bd3df3f227_z.jpg

46751820722_8951c31f8d_z.jpg

Unfortunately, my CNC Mill isn't five axis, and it's actually impossible for me to machine this part in a simple and single way

So, starting with a 8mm brass rod, using the lathe and the CNC milling machine, I've at the moment got the following part, which has to be considered as a rough draft, and on which a lot of work remains to do (groove at the outer end, hole and rod at the inner end), before it gets its final shape:

32928933838_61e65b6b8c_z.jpg

32928933598_d7f6dc0c16_z.jpg

32928933288_5ba79491b3_z.jpg

39839341473_7bc75259bb_z.jpg

39839341653_f04d053b16_z.jpg

Stay tuned if you like, and thanks for watching :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just a few days ago I came across the story of this build and it’s builder. An artist, a scientist, a modeler.

I can only say (as it was impossible to read the whole story in such limited time) the story is one of outrageous beauty, comfort, consolation and solace. Is that not all we could possibly want from a great work of art or science, philosophy perhaps?

Cheers, cheers, cheers!

A.

• Like 1

Lovely job, Thierry, as always. 

I'm happy that you feel well enough to be back at the bench, my friend...it's the best therapy there is.

12 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

not sure I deserve all the huge compliments

Oh yes you do...….:clap2:

Cheers, H

• Like 1

Good evening chaps :)

On my first brake axis, the inner end which will receive a rod (where to attach the spring) isn't large enough ... so I can't attach on it the rod, because it would hit against the lower brake shoe.

Furthermore, the dimension of the different sections are not perfect

So, I've had to machine a new one, and then a second one.

For those who may be interested in knowing how I've made them, here is the process:

- Starting from a 8 mm diameter brass rod (21-22 mm long) , because the oval section (the cam) is 7.5 mm wide.

- Put it in a 8 mm collet on the lathe

46127032924_3021cb0fc6_z.jpg

- Reduce the diameter to 4 mm over 10mm long (1st section, will be outer the drum and will receive the brake lever)

- Then reduce the diameter to 5 mm over 1.5 mm long (2nd section)

- Then jump a 8 mm section over 3 mm (3rd section)

- Get the part out of the 8 mm collet.

- Reverse it

- Put the 4 mm end in a 4 mm collet on the lathe

- Reduce the diameter to 4 mm over 6 mm (4th section)

- Mark the center with a centering drill bit (1 mm)

- Drill this end with a 1 mm drill bit over 2-3 mm depth

- Reduce the length of this end section from 6 to 5 mm.

- Get out the part out of the mill

I've got this:

46800196602_230cf66739_z.jpg

46127032834_6f34445483_z.jpg

Then put this part on the dividing head that you have previously attached horizontally on the milling table, in order to fix the part vertically, the inner end (4 mm diameter over 5 mm long) on the top

The 1 mm hole previously drilled at this end will be used to set X0 and Y0 points for the CNC mill

Then, using Estlcam and a little G-Code file, I've milled the 8 mm diameter section, in order to get an oval shape:

46852457081_17c429511b_z.jpg

After several tries (because mistakes with settings of coordinates), I've got a part that I've put another time in a 4 mm collet on the mill, in order to reduce the 10 mm long 4 mm section to a 2.4 mm diameter, and finally I got that part:

32928933838_45cd9ae494_z.jpg

46127032824_a9a3c52470_z.jpg

46127033384_28bbee00c3_z.jpg[/url

Of course, the brake lever fits well on this axis:

32976741798_b08abd50fb_z.jpg

So, I've actually machined 2 brake axis, but they are not finished.

It remains some difficult and very accurate things to do:

- I've to make measurements of lengths and angles,  to attach the rod for the tensioning spring at the right place, in order to ensure the system operates correctly , and to calculate the good length of a homemade spring.

- And I'll have too to mill a 0.8 mm groove at the end of the 2.4 mm section, placed at the right angle. This groove will host the M1 bolt that attach the brake lever on the axis

While waiting for this, hereunder are some pics that shows the system:

32976740648_5778fb7c12_z.jpg

32976741748_a95a71d57c_z.jpg

31910812267_3ec950b32e_z.jpg

Not counting the drum, the brake shoes and  the 2 springs, each assembly comprises 6 parts.

I wouldn't even dare to count the hours I've already spent for that insignificant job 🙄

Stay tuned if you like and thanks for watching :)

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 7