Pocher Bugatti T50 Coupé de Ville: a resurrection

While the lathe was powered, I took the opportunity to turn a spare wheel locker.

In order to center the spare wheels around their shaft, Pocher provides an ugly plastic black part:

38342752962_7861a5e30b_z.jpg   37659011344_64f3c67429_z.jpg   37659010434_61fe8708f0_z.jpg

So, I made a brass locker, exact replica of the plastic one:

24502369538_9a0ecffb39_z.jpg   24502368368_0ab0f0d43c_z.jpg

26597210259_d34dc06d5d_z.jpg

That's all for now, folks ;)

Next enhancements next week-end, probably :)

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 3

My punches are late, because they were out of stock ! But the situation has changed today, so, I hope to have them soon ^_^

Stay tuned for the next steps about my EB logo on the spare wheels locker B)

• Like 1

Punches arrived today:

26856737119_3386d069f8_z.jpg

If you can imagine what will happen when I'll punch the two letters E and B below, E vertically inverted and joining them by their vertical leg:

37744790315_f3d5092f9e_z.jpg

I think that I'll get my logo, but that needs a lot of dry tests, to align perfectly the punches

Wait and see :wink:

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 2

First tries of stamping letters...

Letters are 3 mm high

The main difficulties are:

- to get correct vertical and horizontal alignment of the letters

- to get a perfect overlapping of the vertical "leg" of the two letters E (horizontally mirrored) and B

* To punch the letters with the same strength

First, on a soft 0,6 mm thick all plate:

After having been punched, the letters have been filled with black ink, in order to get them more visible

On the first stamp, horizontal and vertical alignments are OK, but  there's a 1 mm horizontal offset between the vertical leg of the two letters : BAD

26862804529_f7c04800d7.jpg

On the second stamp, letters are well aligned horizontally, there's no offset between vertical legs of the letters, but the vertical alignment is bad: BAD

37751101935_13484165d2.jpg

Last, on the third try, the alignments are OK, and the vertical legs of both letters are not offseted, giving a rather good EB logo ;)

Now, I'm going to make a graduated jig, in order to simplify the stamping and I'll make a lot of tries on a 1 mm brass plate, until I reach, if not perfection, at least a nice and convincing EB logo,

Only then could I make a 6 or 7 mm diameter disk-shaped brass tap, proudly wearing EB logo :penguin:

Stay tuned for the next step on brass plate

• Like 2

Before punching on brass plate, I've made a little cut  around the best EB logo one the aluminium plate, cutting a 6 mm diameter disk, after having polished the plate with steel wool, just to have an idea of what I could get finally.

Relax, chaps, I KNOW that the disk is all but perfect.

By the way, the tiny part has jumped out of the bench, and impossible to find it on the floor of my workshop,

It doesn't matter, it was just a "test-part"

26865273929_a487aab20f.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

By the way, the tiny part has jumped out of the bench, and impossible to find it on the floor of my workshop

Don't you just hate it when that happens? GRRRR!

That looks like an impressive test-part, Thierry, You'll have it perfected in no time!:thumbsup:

Cheers, H

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Busy doctor, slow car builder :think:

And I'm kept very busy too with the repair and painting of  the wooden baby's bed in which slept my wife, sixty years ago, because, since 1th November, I'M GRANDFATHER,  of a little sweet Emma :party::penguin:B)

However, today, I sat behind my bench and made a little job.

I'm not 100% happy with the result, but I'm pleased to share it with you, and am expecting  critics and comments

So, I cut of a approx. 8x8 plate, centered by EB logo:

38928744922_fbe96e1ffe_z.jpg

Then I turned a brass stand on the lathe, using a 8 mm brass rod

38928744902_7ec56b4452_z.jpg

Then I soldered the "EB" plate on the stand

24100765797_11f9f8fa12_z.jpg

Then I put the stand on the milling machine, in the jaws of dividing head, and cut a 6 mm disk-shaped "EB" plate: sorry, no picture

Then I unsoldered the plate and the stand

Next, I put the spare-wheel locker on the lathe, and excavate a disk-shaped housing for the EB logo

And at least, I cement (at the moment) the plate on the nut and made a little test inking black the logo

25094319548_47429be6ef_z.jpg

AT its place on the car:

27188241379_acd739b067_z.jpg

That's all for now, folks ;)

Thanks for looking and stay tuned if you like

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 3

Congrats on Grandfatherhood Thierry!:clap2:Great result on the retainer cap, too. I think there's still a bit of refinement needed on the upper and lower E-stems, but, other than that, a very convincing job, sir!

Will be contacting my friend sometime this week btw

Cheers, H

• Like 2

On 10/12/2017 at 10:34 PM, harveyb258 said:

Congrats on Grandfatherhood Thierry!:clap2:Great result on the retainer cap, too. I think there's still a bit of refinement needed on the upper and lower E-stems, but, other than that, a very convincing job, sir!

Will be contacting my friend sometime this week btw

Cheers, H

Thank you very much, Harvey

She's my first grandchild, so, I'm absolutely too crazy

Concerning the retainer cap, I've planned to make another one, because the first one is not perfect:

- for instance the threaded central hole isn't exactly centered and the cap doesn't turn round

- the disk-shaped housing for the EB logo plate isn't perfectly centered

- And the EB logo plate is frankly perfectible: measurements, shape, and letters.....I'm thinking about a grabbing method with the milling machine

• Like 2

Thierry first of all congratulations on having become a grandfather. What I heard is that it's much nicer, more relaxing and more fun to be a grandfather than a father. My dad told me, so it must be true. That's only partly a joke, sadly*. 

I really enjoy watching you spend all that energy on one little part... makes me realise once more that I'm not the only one who can do that, endlessly sometimes. In modeling, the search is often better than the catch. 

Regarding the imprimé, wouldn't it be neater to photo etch that? Or, put differently... wouldn't this be a good point in time to teach yourself how to photo etch your own stuff? I'm sure this old Pocher kit asks for some more photo etching along the way if you want to do it as neatly as you have been doing. 

A second technique would be, as you suggested yourself, to engrave using the milling machine. However, the four ends to the 'E' will not be as sharp so you would have to patiently file those four 'E' ends (=all on the left side of the 'EB' logo). 

That having said, I really like the way it looks now already. I just hope that you won't get frustrated by not getting exactly what you want, size-wise and aligned-wise. 

*LOL

Congrats on grandfatherhood I've been one for four years now and I highly recommend it they are such wonderful surprising and giving things and of course you can't beat a girl ours, Megan is a real sweetie as I sure Emma will be oh and don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise you're allowed to spoil them (it's part of the job description)

And congrats on the logo looks great to me as is, I could only dream of getting it half that good.

Thanks a lot @Hannes, @harveyb258, @kpnuts, @Major_Error, @sharknose156 and @Roy vd M. and @cati too.

I'm actually machining a new wheel-locker because I'm not happy with he first one:

- It doesn't turn perfectly round on the shaft

- The housing for the EB logo plate isn't deep enough and not well centered.

Concerning the EB logo, the stamps don't allow an excellent result, even if it is quite convincing at this scale....but, as Roy, I search, if not perfection, then a VERY good result.

So I'm stuck at this stage of my build, and I'm thinking...always thinking...

I'm going to make tries with the milling machine, to see what kind of precision I can get, and I'm also thinking to photo-etching...Myself, of helped by  a few members of this forum :think:

• Like 4