Pocher Bugatti T50 Coupé de Ville: a resurrection

Très belle!
Je aime vraiment le travail de l'aluminium et le laiton.
Heureux que vous ressurected ce projet .
Continuez s'il vous plaît ! :popcorn:

Thanks for the beer, , 31°C (88 F) in my office today

Thanks for using french to answer, I'm honoured

And, having your agreement, oK, I continue to work on my "Bug" and share

My turn :popcorn:

Ooooh-aaarrr.

Darn 'ere in good ol' Suffik, we kwoit agrees wiv wot 'ee sez abuvv.. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Unfortunately, my Google translate is out of date, and I really do not understand, so, i can't agree with you...I hope it was encouragement....could you repeat please :hanging: :hanging: :hanging:

Unfortunately, my Google translate is out of date, and I really do not understand, so, i can't agree with you...I hope it was encouragement....could you repeat please :hanging: :hanging: :hanging:

Ici-bas dans le bon vieux Suffolk , nous sommes d'accord avec ce qu'il dit ci-dessus.
'E were arfter 'avin' that Suffik accent d'yer see?
  • Like 1

And now, some pictures of the frame and axles, with extra details, and the engine mounted on it.

This construction phase had already been completed when I introduced on this forum.

A few overviews:

29273656805_7748f28978_b.jpg

28652618433_b180bee423_b.jpg

29165358122_f95ae5c8f9_b.jpg

]29165358192_f013b822c0_b.jpg

]29165360112_934f6df521_b.jpg

28650233104_486c208cfb_b.jpg

Detailed views with changes and additions....stay tuned

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 1

Beautiful work, that is some very seriously neat model making.

Don't regret the 2000 holes, you proved to yourself you can do it perfectly, and indeed the results on the inside are absolutely amazing.

Thank you for the pictures

• Like 1

Detailed fuel tank:

The sides has been covered with styrene sheet (thanks Harry on Modelscarmag.com :popcorn: ), then primed the tank and painted it AlclaD White Alu

The kit's photo-etched thing that looks like an helix and is put on the tank has been replaced, in accordance with the reference photos, by a T connector scratch-built from brass tubes. On the real car, it seems to be a connector for two pipes, but I did'nt found on the net the function of these, so they are not figured on my model

29183855322_f65a80c943_b.jpg

28985184890_0b3564a1ce_b.jpg

Additions have been made on the differential case:

Some large hexagonal caps, up ans down, in accordance with the references photos

These caps has been scratch-built with hex styrene rod (Thanks again Harry ;) )

29274284905_f32e615ef0_b.jpg

And on the top of the case, the cylindrical housing for the system which makes rotating the speed cable (sorry for this literal translation, I dont know the name ,of this mechanical apparatus)

Later, this cable will be placed and connected to the dash speed display.

This part has been scratch-built with styrene rod, brass tubes, alu sheet, and M1 brass bolt

29195189321_b772721fe4_b.jpg

28652738273_e5c84a81df_z.jpg

Front axle:

I've over-detailed the leaf springs, adding 3 rebound clips on the anterior part of each (later, I noticed that I had mistaken, because there are 4 clips, but it was to late to change that, without disassembly the whole axle, and I was gutless)

The clips were scratch-bulit , as always, with my precious and all purpose Alu sheet

28673114053_e6dd29c45f_b.jpg

I've also added a grommet on the arm of the exterior leaf of each shock absorber (dampers)

The grommets have been scratch-built from the M2 nuts included in the kit, which had been square-shaped, sanded and glued in place...

These grommets served to guide the cabled which was used to adjust the amount of friction between the disks, and so adjust the amount of shock absorbing, depending of the road condition, to avoid car bouncing on damaged surfaces.

The cables attached on the lever on the exterior disk of the damper

29294152865_2da584cc60_b.jpg

29006084020_5c098dc6ce_b.jpg

This cables come from the dashboard, where two control knobs, one for the rear shock absorbers (on the left side of the dash), the other for the front (on the right side)

These knobs are displayed on this picture...

29260678286_97201a822f_z.jpg

Dufaux et Repusseau can be read on them

Dufaux et repusseau was an automotive supplier for brake and suspension systems. he applied for the patent of these teleadjustable dampers in 1930.

Before, on the cars with dampers, as the Fiat Mefistofele for instance :whistle: , you must adjust the tension using a five branches star located on the exterior disk of the shock absorber

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 3

Lovely details like that cable holder make for endless hours of viewing enjoyment.

Excellent eye for picking additions like that.

Thank you, Codger, for this kind comment ;)

I've a very bad visual acuity, but excellent corrective lenses and powerfull magnifying glasses, ..... :lol:

Well, I'm joking, have perfectly understood what you meant...effectively, I studied for endless hours the reference pictures (Paul Koo's DVD, Scalemotocars.com gallery, and others picked on the Net), to spot what additions would be relevant, and convince me that they surely exist on THIS real car .

I needed to make research and study to learn a bit about auto mechanics.

Finally, modelling is a great way to learn more and more

Above all, I'm fully determined, if not stubborn.

And now, the engine has been mounted on the frame, using MMC cast bronze engine mounts

I had to adjust them because they did'nt perfectly fit on the frame:

There's a particular issue with the inferior arm of the posterior mount - too long, and I had to amputate it a little, otherwise it would have been impossible to force the engine into the frame

28700561133_4d28bc0c46_b.jpg

29033750190_c8a45771c4_b.jpg

Furthermore, I hav'nt followed the kit's instructions to fix the mounting supports on the frame, and I've placed the four screws on the inner side of it, and the bolts on the outer side.

So, we cannot see screws that do not exist in reality

29034059910_04d9236f29_b.jpg

29321981515_194c9061b4_b.jpg

• Like 3

Building of the firewall, engine side

The engine side firewall has been given a facelift !

"Pourquoi faire simple quand on peut faire compliqué ?" (which means, for those who do not speak french: why make it simple when we can make it complicated ?)

Answer: beauty and realism of course

A classical construction:

28731762444_12aab94c11_b.jpg

And what I wanted to get and obtained:

29276401611_34e8fc284b_z.jpg

28922912440_d5fd0739f1_b.jpg

1/ Engine-turning plating

- A plate of Alu 0.3 mm thickness has received engine-turning pattern on all its surface.

- A paper template of the shape to cover on the firewall has been made.

- this template permit to cut the alu plate at the approximative form .

- This form has been presented on the firewall, and, triming and sanding it progressively, I obtained the exact shape I needed

- several cuts were made on it, and the needed holes were drilled.

- Finally, the alu plate was glued in place with CA gel.

2/ Central plate

The central part of firewall from where come the lubrication line, has been plated with alu sheet ("what looks more like to metal than metal" ;) )

3/ On the oil bottle at right upper corner

- An exterior level has been added : scratch-built with alu tube, brass rods and silver paint

- A purge valve has been added at its bottom from which will run later a lubrication copper line.

- The cap has been cutted and replaced by a better notched one, which is none other than a watchwinder !

29355240395_ffab50b0e6.jpg

4/ Bare metal foil chrome has been put on the firewall, on the oval bezel that surround the steering shaft ‘s hole

5/ A linkage has been added, in accordance to the reference photos, that join the kit’s accelerator linkage, and the right upper corner of the firewall.

This linkage is articulated with the kits’s linkage, and functional with the accelerator pedal….

29321984006_073a24589f_z.jpg Scratch-built with brassrod, alu tube, brass M1 bolts and nuts

6/ Similarly, a linkage has been added, that join the firewall and the adjusting lever of advance ignition point on the distributor.

This one is not functional.

On the picture, you can see only the firewall's attachment of the linkage

29276925551_dd7d046892_m.jpg Scratch-built with M1 brass bolt and nut, alu tube, alu sheet

7/ The firewall ignition coil has been moved downwards. Electric red painted wires has been added at the bottom part, running to a hole in the firewall, according to the reference photos.

29247604722_fcaa568115.jpg

8/ A relay electrical box has been added on the firewall, on the top, that will be located behind the distributor when firewall will be mounted on the frame.

Here too, that was made in accordance with reference photos

From this box run several electrical wires crossing through the firewall by the same hole that in 7/

29247653282_3be2522f07_b.jpg

That was scratch-built with styrene sheet, hexagonal styrene rod, which I've sanded to semi-circular shape, square styrene rod, M1 brass bolt, electrical copper wire and some patience.

9/ A hole has been drilled on the firewall, at the left of the ignition coil, bezeled with an eyelet (painted red), through which cross the cable coming of the radiator, and goes to the water temperature display on the dashboard.

28734752863_e1008a13fa_m.jpg

10/ The two connectors , black plastic in the kit, from which run lubrication copper lines to the engine, has been replaced by scratch-built brass ones (brass tubes, soldering, brass nuts, and sanding)

29013996870_3317245ed1_n.jpg

28732521944_a0d452307e_m.jpg

11/ All screws has been replaced by brass bolts

12/ Decals have been placed, that upgrade strongly the realism of this masterpiece

I’ve found them on a Dutch web site: http://www.decal-sheets.nl/decals-18-pocher-schaal

They supply impossible to find elsewhere decals for the Pocher kits.

So, I’ve bought the Bugatti decals, and I’m very satisfied with them

The best represent the manufacturer’s plate and the patents plate..

On the decal sheet, you’ll can find too several “Scintilla’s logos” to put on electrical apparatus, such as distributor, ignition coil, fuse box, dynamo etc.

29322398886_a00cd4b706_b.jpg

That's all as for now...stay tuned

If anyone is interested by explanations, only need to ask :please:

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 4

Superlative work Dr T.

Your use of 1mm bolts / nuts is in perfect scale and sprinkled all about the engine, impart realism to the entire build. I also appreciate the depth and effort you put into clearly showing us the work.

Bugatti himself would be proud of your effort.

• Like 1

Many thanks, Codger, for these nice words. :popcorn:

Without lacking too much humility, I'm not sure I deserve to be congratulated, but anyway, these words make me blushing of pleasure.

Showing you the work, I hope I was'nt boring you with my explanations, and I was wondering if I had to put them on a modeller's web site, where anybody is probably more experienced than I am....

Edited by CrazyCrank

Fantastic work ... this car is going to be a masterpiece. ( Roy what about your online museum of worthy masterpieces such as this one ?)

Of course CarzyCranz you need to post such inspirational work of precision, scale and beauty!

Since one of our last exchange a couple of days back, i was inspired to remove all the patiently punched styrene bolt heads and nuts i previously placed on the Mef.'s engine and ordered nickel ones.. ....its damned worth the difference......all or nothing :hobbyhorse:

Your efforts and car are magnificent. That's what i am talking about ..... ( but not always able to match my word and action :shutup: )

Great you found the right decals.

Keep those detailed pics and explanations coming please !

• Like 1

Well, Gentlemen...I'm going to think you are amazing people !

I accept your comments and will try to continue to earn your huge compliments

I'll share all I do

Many thanks to you all :thumbsup2:

I'm pretty sure all the Pocher builders are enjoying the play by play, I know I am. We know just how much work can actually go into building one of these classics and can appreciate the effort. It is also very instructive to the uninitiated to see the amount of work, research, fabricating and scratch building being added to an already high parts count kit. I hope it doesn't scare off potential Pocher builders but, rather gives them something to shoot for just like Roy, Codger and others have been doing for a long time now! Great job and keep it coming!

• Like 2