RAF Beret

PlasticSoldier

100 years ago ish roughly March 1916. My Grandad was in the Army in or very close to the trenches. He read in orders the RFC's call for tradesmen. He was a Sgt Carpenter. Application accepted, probably saved his life! (and mine!) He was posted to a Be2 outfit, 2 Sqn. Taken in a truck on a damp misty night to a field in the middle of nowhere . Dropped off without ceremony at the end of a farm track and pointed to lights in the distance. Goodbye Army.

He walked past fitters working in the dark on Be2s behind the hedges in the fields swearing, banging etc. The light came from a single story building. He opened the door, warm fire, waiters, music playing, hot food, hot cocoa, tea, books, papers, luxury. The Sgt's Mess. This was RAF Mk 1 land! Best thing he ever did. He knew it as soon as he opened that door.

After a couple of weeks later posted to Farnborough for Airframe training. Got to the Guard room and went in for his bedding .Orderly Sgt's job,not there,he's down the hangar working on his aeroplane. Ordeley Sgt was none other than the future Fighter Ace James McCudden (Imagine that!). Covered in oil and grease from the engine strip and rebuild in his uniform on his Avro 504 and swearing a lot, every other word was swearing. McCudden was on his pilot training, ex mechanic so knew what he was doing. Grandad got and signed for his bedding, counter signed by McCudden!. McCudden flew his repaired Avro 504 the next morning.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

So when was the RAF combat dress actually introduced and in what circumstances was it used? Would crash recovery crew wear it, because I was going to build that set soon.

WW 2 or post WW 2?

Christian, exiled to africa

So when was the RAF combat dress actually introduced and in what circumstances was it used? Would crash recovery crew wear it, because I was going to build that set soon.

Not sure but Crash and Smash wore Denims AKA overalls, some with hard hats at the Staines Trident, Papa India, crash 1972 and Salad suits, AKA Combats and Hi-vis vests or jackets/coats at Lockerbie 88. Hi-vis with combats and hard hats.. Can't see me, can see me combo. Google through crashes /recovery images. Combats IRC,I got mine in the early 80's at Brize but the Harrier/chopper guys had them before that.

In the 50's the Beret was worn by all other ranks and Aircrew. The beret and SD hat were standard issue in 1960. Regulars wore blue serge battledress whilst National service chaps wore old pattern rough Blue serge belted skirted jackets Regular Dress Uniform was a smooth Blue belted skirted jacket and smooth SD hat and the NS guys (and Boy entrants) wore a serge belted Skirted Jacket with serge SD hat. We all wore Blue Grey separate collar shirts. The only cold weather clothing was your greatcoat and knitted gloves (mine's still in the wardrobe) except on Squadrons were the army fishtail Parka was issued. Denims were army Green later supplanted by the grey type with Blue collar. Blue grey Plimsolls were normal were on aircraft servicing or rubber soled boots.

Green then DP combats came in on ops with the formation of the tactical (Harrier and Helicopter) squadrons in the late 70's but Blue was still the day to day wear on Squadrons. I 'm sure I remember the new Barrathea beltless uniforms coming in in the 1970's.

I also seem to remember that we traded in our webbing belts in the early 70's for epaulet ted Pullovers, because I did Orderly Sgt in Belize and accompanying the Orderly Officer to inspect the mixed Army/ RAF guard. Some of the RAF lads still had webbing and some not. One chap on being questioned as to why he wasn't wearing webbing on parade the answer was "Sir! I swapped it for a Woolly Pully".

I think I bought my Chip bag hat in 1972 at the first opportunity.

Over seas we were issued with "It ain't arf hot Mum" khaki 'long' shorts, shirts, long socks, long trousers and belted jackets but you could private purchase smooth tailored uniform. and suede Desert boots. Worn with Blue hats.

John

• Like 1

If PlasticSoldier is talking about the Airfix Recovery Set, then the Austin K6 fire tender is postwar and the Austin K2 Ambulance is not RAF issue - although some could be seen on airfields collecting patients from Ambulance aircraft. For a WW2 crash tender, MMS Models do a Crossley in white metal: these kits are straightforward for anyone who can make the Airfix plastics but the glue needs a little more attention. Earlier there was an Albion crash tender, which I'm pretty sure isn't available, and indeed an Albion Ambulance, but I'm not sure about that one. Check on Matador Models website, as they do the Albion refueller. This will be resin, so needs a little care trimming.

MMS models do a lot of other RAF subjects, but all are in 1/76 (as is the Airfix Recovery Set). Matador have fewer subjects but in 1/72 and 1/76. Other options include K6 Signal trucks and Crew buses.

Whilst on the subject, in the Airfix refuelling set the Bedford QL is postwar and the AEC Matador 6-wheeler is wartime. Both were used in both periods, so a little modification/cross-kitting allows for your desired period. There's a better QL chassis/cab in Airfix's newer double QL kit - which also provides the QLT which was used as a crewbus on some stations.

• Like 1

As a 'penguin' (ATC) from 1990 it was berets all the way. The Station Warrant Officer found you wearing your no 1 hat..........you'd better have a damn good reason or the rest of the airfield would hear! Still, once in a blue moon would get a measure of satisfaction telling the same SWO to get his hat off as he was on the manouvering area!?! Like most SWO's I think he slept with that hat on

I joined about the same time (feb 91) - however - I was a discip and worked for the SWO - so no 1 hat or SD hat was actually standard dress all the time for me. I was told to go and get a second one - there were some ructions at strore when I went to get one. However, a quick word from the SWO and I was quickly issued a second!

• Like 2

I joined up Oct 1970 at RAF Halton, 3 entries 219,119 and 404 (and all subsequent entries until late 72 while there) were issued with green woolly pullys with shoulder and elbow patches (worn with blue,red or yellow stable belt depending on Wing ) as an experiment to see if they would be good enough to replace the No 2 Battle dress jacket. On passing out we had to revert to the No2 BD until it was replaced by the RAF blue woolly Pully, which I think was around 75 or 76 ish.

I have just received a copy of The RAF Regiment at War 1943-1946 by Kingsley Oliver. Clearly the loose headdress regs were common back in WWII as there is quite a variety of hats - some with all three in the same photo.

When issued with uniform after being issued with my plastic VR(T) commission I was given a beret and big nasty cardboard officers beret badge, this was only to be worn with DPM (which I wasn't issued with). Apparently only the army, RAF regiment and the French are allowed to wear berets (or so I was told - bit harsh on the French). On the other hand I did see a VSO wearing DPM with a No1 SD cap instead of a beret????

Umm Royal Marines ...and the NAVY

Camo & blues, I remember being pulled up by the station commander at Odiham

in the early 80's 'cos I was wearing a green wooly pully with blue trousers.

My explanation was that my Wife had shrunk the blue wooly pully in the wash

and stores wouldn't give me another for 18 months.

There wasn't a lot he could say to that.

It took 18 months to get issued another wife. Heck life was tuff in the RAF :jealous:

Edited by dcrfan
  • Like 4

While we're on about uniforms it wouldn't be complete without mentioning the Grippers in Clothing Stores. Had more Rules than a shop full of measuring sticks. They were the first to get the latest gear. They sat in stores on TACEVAL/MiniVAL (exercises) wearing the latest NBC kit, we on the airfield on guard, patrol or just working were in old Mk1&2 kit. I had a gripper WAF on my shift in the brand spanking (1984) salad suit version that didn't need a complete strip to visit a Urinal, no she didn't but you know what I mean. Mine was Charcoal lined, I looked like Arthur Scargill's finest after it had rubbed off and got all over my face and hands.

Gripper jobsworth in stores...

I had to change my RAF shoes because I'd got Skydrol on them. Went in, counter was deserted. Took off my shoes,put them on the counter, Gripper 1 turns up. Yes? Can you give me a new pair please ?

OK,picks them up. These are warm

What?

These are warm.

Just taken them off,I'm warm blooded.

He points at sign behind a pile of old jumpers and shirts...Which roughly said All footwear must be carried in and not removed from feet in this store.

They've got Skydrol on them, thats why I'm changing them.

Gripper 2 a civvie turns up

Whats wrong?

Gripper 1 tells him they're still warm.

Storemen got the Gripper tag because they gripped your Sierra Hotel.....

Gripper 2 points at the sign.

So I walk outside put my shoes on the path to cool down, stood there and had a cigarette,5 minutes later carry the shoes back in.

Gripper 1 That was quick, wasn't hard was it? Throws the old ones in a tri-wall box.

Gives me the new shoes, I take them, walk to the door..I turned .Hey, Gripper! he looks up,

I show him my sock feet. That wasn't hard either was it? And walked out !

Put the new ones on outside getting funny looks from people walking in.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 2

Oh don't get me started on 'Stackers'...

My G10 watch packed up when I was at Cranwell on 55® Sqn. Stores by this point was almost fully civilianised.

"Hello, can I have a replacement watch please?"

"Sorry Ma'am we have none in stock, merely the Chronograph Watch."

"Ok," says I, "I'll take one of them then please."

Cue a big sucking of teeth.

"Sorry Ma'am the Chronograph is only for Navigators and Low-Level Aircrew."

"Jolly good," says I, "I'll take one."

"Sorry Ma'am you are not a Nav."

"No I'm a Dominie pilot."

"Low Level Aircrew only Ma'am."

"WTF do you think I do in the Domine?"

No matter what, the Stacker wasn't budging. I went straight back to the Sqn and told the Planner to take me off the Flying Programme. When quizzed by the Boss as to why, I explained the lack of watch and the recalcitrant storeman.

One irate, swearword filled 'phonecall by the Boss later I had my chronograph.

• Like 3

You ever go to Saints and come up against the Viet Taff civvies there? I was clearing camp after an HGV3 course on a Friday. As with all things Saints shaped the offices to be cleared and not before or after certain time and the training side expired after 12.00 caviat. I was having to go back and forward all morning to keep with the times laid out. Had problems at the dental section (which I hadn't needed in the 10 days I was there) which made a bit behind and only gave me a couple of minutes to get my bedding in the store.

A 20 stone Viet Taff stood there, we're shut. Its not 12 yet, I got at least 2 minutes. We're shut. Are you telling me I have to drive back to Brize and come back Monday just to hand this Bed pack in? Yes. 2 travel claims then...Went all the way back to Saints with Bed pack, a bed pack full of loose nuts and bolts and other bits to make a mess. Luckily there was a heap of brand new airmen queueing up so I pushed to the front. Uber Gripper didn't have time with about 50 people to process,so he just signed my blue chit and I legged it back to sunny Brize. I wish I could have seen his face when half an aircraft's worth of Nut,screws,washers and Bolts rattled all over his empire. I phoned him up a week later. He went nuts. Can you remember my name ? No? I put the phone down. Felt a bit better!

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 3