1/48 italeri P-40

So after my disaster with my mossie I have started from scratch with something new. A visit to my local shop and I returned with an italeri 1/48 P-40.

I've been after an aircraft with a good desert scheme and I like the 112 Sqn variant in the kit, although to be accurate it's the short fuselage supplied in the kit and the version detailed should have the long fuselage. Also I have noticed that one of the versions is an aircraft that was piloted by someone of the same surname and their is a decal in the kit that depicts this. So either go for the in accurate desert version or go for the version that would end up with my name on it?! Choices choices.

Anyway enough going on some obligatory box and sprue pics;

4BDE87FC-4A84-46AC-81EA-169CDCBEBE53_zps

B6E455D5-0175-4A51-AA69-93245C03DAC2_zps

4DA9900C-6A27-4E71-B5E9-92B0E9D18611_zps

5D90ED49-03BB-46C9-8E67-82D9B70DE34D_zps

I have to say compared to my previous kit (the revell mossie 1/32) this kit is much more detailed and I am so far impressed. There is a lot of flash as Mike also described in his review of this kit but so far I am very impressed and can't wait to get started on it this evening.

• Like 2

Kittyhawk, Desert colors and 112 sqn. What's not to like?

Very true, I am leaning towards the desert scheme, also as it will end up part of a diorama that I have in mind. I might just sneak the named decal onto the desert scheme!

So I have done a small amount tonight, cockpit is nearly complete and I have placed the 2 fuselage halves together after cutting off the E tail and replacing it with the K variants.

Only my second model so got quite a way to go before I am at a quality level that i am happy with (if ever!) but I am pleased with it so far.

It's completely OOB and so far has gone together really well. Will need a slight bit of filler on the new tail joint but that's down to my shoddy cutting, nothing to do with the kit. Anyway a few pics to show what I mean. (Apologies for the poor photos)

F7589D6C-D6CB-482E-918D-C92AFD333E8C_zps

8EA8230A-F476-4AEE-935E-50409ABECAFE_zps

79A71BA7-EEFA-4F51-9B9D-5ACE0A29822A_zps

7064DE57-5A8E-4B81-ADAF-470464D3828F_zps

• Like 1

I will add some more pictures tonight but not too happy with my progress at the moment. The kit itself has come together lovely, however when it has come to paint I have again hit issues.

I decided to thin the paint 60:40 paint to thinner to try and achieve a brushless thin layer. However I have some how managed to create a terrible finish. I hastily then decided to remove what I could with thinner and paint as normal. I have near as ruined the underside of the model. Thick tacky layer now on the underside. Panel lines almost invisible. Luckily I have yet to touch the top.

I have ordered an airbrush to be delivered tomorrow and think this model may now become my practice mule! I am not overly fussed about the bottom tbh as this model is to be part of a diorama that is partially covered and surrounded so the underside will not really be visible.

Well unfortunately this model has been put to rest. Far too many mistakes and problems with the varnish coats. I have now started a Bf109 to use to practice my techniques on and to try out some new varnishes, i wont be doing another wip thread for it as i may end up wasting any readers time again!

Shame, but i've had a few kits over the years that have met a similar fate.

Use it as a practice piece for future painting, or strip it using "Fairy Power Spray" (if in the UK) or one of the many proprietary paint strippers available for plastic kits and start again in a few months. or just break it up for spares.

Cheers,

Troffa

• Like 1

Well unfortunately this model has been put to rest. Far too many mistakes and problems with the varnish coats. I have now started a Bf109 to use to practice my techniques on and to try out some new varnishes, i wont be doing another wip thread for it as i may end up wasting any readers time again!

We all get this kind of model I'm afraid (well I certainly do!) that tests your patience! Keep at them and you'll only improve. That's all I'm doing mate, look forward to seeing another wip from you one day, don't think your wasting time, it's up to the forum members if they want to read it or not ;)

• Like 1

It certainly does. I'm doing my second FAA hellcat at the moment and very nearly have finished it. Then I noticed a bloody great thumbprint on the top of the cowling so had to do a respray! Fail! Then the landing gear wouldn't sit properly but perseverance is key ;) good luck with your next build mate.