• 1 month later...

I didnt realise how much time has past since my last update ,over a month ,

have made some progress

first time i have made resin radial engines and they took an age with loads of cleaning off and the addition of some brass tube rods . The two took about a week

P1020056.jpg

i read on another 1/48 Maryland build here on Britmodeller that the engines would not fit in the cowlings so before painting i sanded the rocker covers down and scraped the two pieces of plastic in the cowlings thinner  see red arrows

P1020057.jpg

I needed to remove a good amount of resin and plastic before i got a good tight fit .

P1020058.jpg

Engines were given a coat of black primer and then a coat of Alclad aluminum 

P1020059.jpg

The glazing seems to have been made for a narrower fuselage so the filet of plastic card i had put in the nose earlier helped with the fit . Also used some stretched sprue to fill a gap on top .

P1020061.jpg

Have now made a start on the base

• Like 4

Thanks Rob for looking in .

Here is some more progress. Addition of fiddly bits such as gun sights and radio masts etc and complete spray over with some light grey primer before a coat of Alclad aluminum later today ( i hope )'

Have just ordered the paints from the Gunze  range as i had one of the colors . Not often i use colors from one manufacturer to finish .

P1020066.jpg

• Like 2

good progress today as my wife is out shopping with a friend .

Alclad has been applied

P1020069.jpg

P1020068.jpg

Decided to lengthen the legs as there is no weight on them

P1020067.jpg

Nothing to do on it until the paint arrives so will now spend some time on the bomb craters

• Like 3

Thank you Rob and Giorgio.

Slung some paint at it and then pulled loads off again .

P1020072.jpg

P1020073.jpg

I have used Mr Hobby water based acrylics thined with Mr Color leveling thinner 400 . Worked a treat .

• Like 5

The final finishng bits have been done

riged useing easyline

Flat varnish useing Winsor and Newton Galeria varnish  . whent on like a dream .this will now be my varnish of choise .

prop blurs from valiant wings props . think they are called Toms Props . Do the job but a little thin .I think they probably look better tha the etched prop blurs .

Dust made from stuffing from dog toy sprayed with dilute pva then sprincled with some fine bits of Malta through a sieve .

radio operator relocated to turret so he can be seen .

P1020100.jpg

P1020101.jpg

P1020102.jpg

P1020103.jpg

Thanks for looking

Alistair

• Like 10

Brilliant,........the model is excellent and the dio is superb,.........great idea,...and I have one of those cups too! 

The only thing that I would add is maybe spray the cotton wool with a sandy shade,.....just to make it look more dusty,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Wow! Sorry - I haven't stopped by for a while........ your progress in the time I've not checked in has been very impressive!  You've got a wonderful idea and your execution is superb! Very well done! :thumbsup:

22 hours ago, tonyot said:

Brilliant,........the model is excellent and the dio is superb,.........great idea,...and I have one of those cups too! 

The only thing that I would add is maybe spray the cotton wool with a sandy shade,.....just to make it look more dusty,

Cheers

Tony

My wife agrees with you Tony that it didnt look like dust so while watching strictly last night she teased it apart to a translusent state so the colour of the ground showed through . It has made a huge difference .

21 hours ago, rob85 said:

Alistar I think your capturing the moment really well! I see what Tony means about the dust but I wouldn't go overboard as its looking pretty realistic as is. 

Great work

Rob

Thanks Rob for all your support through my build :)

20 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Wow! Sorry - I haven't stopped by for a while........ your progress in the time I've not checked in has been very impressive!  You've got a wonderful idea and your execution is superb! Very well done! :thumbsup:

Thanks Stix . no need to be sorry as iv kept my head down in this G/B as all time has needed to be spent on constuction as my dead line had to be the end of this month. pleased you liked the idea .

On 29/10/2016 at 15:35, Giorgio N said:

This is an impressive looking scene with a very fine model in it, well done !

Love the French camo scheme on the Maryland too and the peeling paint looks very realistic

Thanks Giorgio for your encouragement,

I will post some more pics later when i have some better light .

• Like 2

Just saw this one in the gallery, really amazing job on this one.  In the photos used there, the smoke/dust looked so natural and thin, I thought they were perhaps photo shopped in, but nope.  Well done that!

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG