Way ,way out of my comfort zone of Luftwaffe and luft46 subjects i have chosen to do this kit on the strength of some books i read the last time i went to Malta . I had originally planed to take the kit with me the next time i went and do some while on holiday so i could get the vibes of the island locked into the model .

While on same holiday i managed to deposit in my suitcase some large lumps of Maltese lime stone to break up and use in a diorama ( i will post pics later )

The aim is to create a diorama as my entry . I am not going to explain my plans this early on but the title may give you a good clue .

P1010907.jpg

P1010908.jpg

P1010909.jpg

P1010910%202.jpg

P1010911.jpg

P1010913.jpg

P1010914.jpg

P1010915.jpg

P1010916.jpg

P1010917.jpg

P1010918.jpg

The last pic is of my first test fit to see how the two main fuselage halves matched .. \results are positive with little to no ridge to sand . may all change when internals are added .

I now have 3 g/b's on the go so here goes .

Edited by Mottlemaster
finished
  • Like 13

nice project, it wasn't until I read it a second time I saw it was 1/48th! She''l take up some shelf space for sure!

It's a nice looking model with plenty of scope for detailing. From the title are you going to have the wheels up on this one?

Thank you every one for showing your interest :drink:

Great choice indeed. Warby was quite a character. Mind you the way he flew one had the feeling it could only end one way

Really looking forward to this, it's a really interesting aircraft flown by an incredibly interesting man!

Will be good to see how you use the lime stone!

Rob

It was the story about the man that led me to chose this aircraft ,infact i had little idea what a Maryland looked like until the kit arrived on my door step .

If you visit Malta Aviation Museum they have one of Warburtons shoos that was recovered from the crash site of his lightning in Germany ( i think ) .

I have made a start on the wings . Typical short run with no location pins and large sprue gates . The starboard side went together perfectly with all edges and panel lines lining up . Starting at the fat end i slowly glued using EMA plastic weld .

The port side wings panel lines and edges did not match so deciding that i would keep the fat end together to aid wing to fuselage fit later . This resulted in the landing light and gun port having a step . I have rectified these problems with some scrap plastic.

P1010943.jpg

P1010945.jpg

P1010946.jpg

P1010947.jpg

P1010948.jpg

P1010949.jpg

The next installment will cover wing to fuselage fit problems .

• Like 4

Here are the small bits of Malta i will break up and use .

P1010982.jpg

Apologies to Malta for making you smaller .

Rear rocket thruster fabricated from brass tube and kept in place with lashings of Gorilla Epoxy

P1010985.jpg

Main fuselage internals are now in place with a coat of black primer before interior green is applied .

P1010984.jpg

• Like 5

P.s. The shoes are from the assumed crash site of his PR P 38 lightning that crashed on the way back from Berlin, through the to have been taken down by FW 190. It was found a long time after his disappearance so very little was left of the inhabitant however it was and American P-38 with RAF Uniform found amongst the remains and the area ties in to his area of operations. It was also thought that he went missing during an attempt to fly back to Malta, after the Berlin op, to see his love on the island. This fits with his MO however is probably speculation.... Great story though

There are literally SO many great stories about this guy... From saving downed beaufighter crews by flying his unarmed spitfire over the Italian fleet to pretending to crash land in Greece for a booze run!

He was once shot at by an aa gun in an unarmed spitfire, got back to Malta jumped straight into an armed spitfire flew back and destroyed the position so it wouldn't be a problem for others.... I need to stop going one really

Rob

• Like 2

Rocket thruster??!!! Nice rocks....

Rob

Got that wrong Rob . It should be Thruster Rocket :oops:

P.s. The shoes are from the assumed crash site of his PR P 38 lightning that crashed on the way back from Berlin, through the to have been taken down by FW 190. It was found a long time after his disappearance so very little was left of the inhabitant however it was and American P-38 with RAF Uniform found amongst the remains and the area ties in to his area of operations. It was also thought that he went missing during an attempt to fly back to Malta, after the Berlin op, to see his love on the island. This fits with his MO however is probably speculation.... Great story though

There are literally SO many great stories about this guy... From saving downed beaufighter crews by flying his unarmed spitfire over the Italian fleet to pretending to crash land in Greece for a booze run!

He was once shot at by an aa gun in an unarmed spitfire, got back to Malta jumped straight into an armed spitfire flew back and destroyed the position so it wouldn't be a problem for others.... I need to stop going one really

Rob

Great info Rob on Warburtons life . This will help explain the scene of the diorama . :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hope you don't mind a slightly :offtopic: question, but this seems like a good place to ask it.....What would be the best 1/72 kit for the F-5 Warburton disappeared in? Are there suitable decals? :shrug:

I'd been aware of part of his story since the TV program, but this thread has filled in a lot of blanks.....Amazing character. :coolio:

• Like 1

And another Maryland, great choice ! I have the same kit in the stash (with French markings), looks like a tricky build...

Giorgio i can recommend that you get a large ladder and extract this kit from your stash and give it a go . The Special Hobby range seems to contain some Gems that are unlikely to be tackled by the likes of the mainstream manufacturers . I would rate its difficulty to that of a older Airfix kit of the 60's but with much greater detail and engraved panel lines .

Have been experiencing Man trouble !!!!!!.

As this aircraft is going to be airborne (just) i have needed a crew of three . I first found some figures from a Tamiya Swordfish but they appear to be of gigantic size and rather overweight when considering the effects of the diarrhea and food rationing that were common in Malta . There is no way they will fit as heads touch the cockpit ceiling

P1010990.jpg

The black painted pilot is from Airwaves , the clear one Tamiya and the other s Airfix .

After lots of armbending and chopping Warby and his co pilot have been fashioned to fit . I wanted to have warburton with his hands on the controls pulling back and his co pilot with a look of terror on his face and his hands up to protect hid face . I have opend his mouth to make it look like he is shouting out to warburton to pull the Bl**dy stick back .

P1010993.jpg

I think Warburtons reply would be i cant reach the Bl**dy peddles .

The radio operator / rear gunner is in his blissful ignorance still trying to strap himself in

P1010994.jpg

If anyone has any ideas on what color flying gear these chaps should be painted please let me know .

• Like 4

Tamiya's Swordfish is 1/48. :pipe:

I get the impression that uniform regulations were proabably a bit looser on Malta than elsewhere.....I'd just have some fun with them. :winkgrin:

From the photographs of Warby on Malta it seems he often wore grey slacks along with a RAF " Hairy Mary " battledress tunic . My guess is that if alive today Warby would have flown in track suit bottoms :)

My warby is thus wearing ghost grey slacks , not that it will be visible .

P1020001.jpg

P1010999.jpg

P1020003.jpg

P1020004.jpg

Have now started to join the fuselage sides together . There are lots of bits to line up and few locating marks so it takes a little time to get everything in a position where it wont interfear with bits on the other side , I first did a dumy run using copydex to attach things so adjustments could be made . We are talking 0.25mm between many bits as its a cramped cockpit and thats before Warby was squeezed in .

Using liquid weld to do the join

• Like 4