SAAB J 29F Tunnan Target Tug

Orso

After the Sea Fury and Meteor Target tugs it is time for a SAAB. It will be an Heller/Matchbox combo.

29f_02.JPG

The F-model had an after burner and that made the rear "fatter". I decided to use the Heller J 29E and add the engine fairing from the Matchbox F-model.

29tt_01.JPG

To cut both kits exactly the same is hard so there were large gaps needed to be filled between the parts.

I used plastic strips for this.

29tt_02.JPG

I decided to use the Matchbox cockpit as well as it is more accurate. I didn't like the seat so I removed it and added the Heller seat instead. I made a new rear wall of plastic card using the Heller tub as pattern. I then added the Maestro Models etch parts to the cockpit. As they are for the Heller kit so I had to adapt them to fit.

29tt_04.JPG

I wanted clear navigation lights at the wing tips. So clear plastic wedges was glued in place.

29tt_05.JPG

When the glue has set the lights was sanded to the right shape.

29tt_10.JPG

The towing equipment is in place.

29tt_09.JPG

I used modified Airfix Draken pylons.

29tt_11.JPG

The MBV-2S towing winch comes from Maestro Models.

29tt_12.JPG

The counterweight is a Matchbox Tunnan drop tank that I added fins to. I have to build a red beacon light for the fuselage top.

Edited by Orso
Photobucket sabotage
  • Like 4

29tt_13.JPG

I managed to get some paint on it even though painting didn't work (as usual)

29tt_14.JPG

Even though I have been building several targets I haven't built one for Tunnan

Edited by Orso
Photobucket sabotage
  • Like 1

29tt_15.JPG

I started on the towed wing target for my Tunnan. It is similar to the one in resin by Red Roo models but I decided not to convert that one.

The work involved would be almost the same.

Edited by Orso
Photobucket sabotage
  • Like 2

vm4_02.JPG

Vingmål VM 4 is ready.

29tt_21.JPG

But I learned that the VM 4 wasn't used with the target winch under the wing. The planes also had an fixed attachment point under the belly.

Looking at pictures I thought that it was placed under the front but that turned out to be a second beacon light. Then I found something under the belly that might be it.

I have now added both items under the plane.

Edited by Orso
Photobucket sabotage
  • Like 1

Nice target! If the winch was not fitted then would not the counterweight be removed? Alternatively, is it not possible that the winch would remain fitted in a dedicated target towing aircraft? Either way would the aircraft not have a balanced stores fit ?

Martin

29tt_22.JPG

One more day and it will be finished. It isn't easy to find information about the target towing in the Air Force, There are a few pages in the Tunnan and Lansen books but most information is just Google-luck.

The civilian side of taget towing is better covered in books but that is no help when it comes to the Tunnan. The winch was a later addition to the Tunnan and I decide to build my plane with one as it is a rather special looking item.

Edited by Orso
Photobucket sabotage
  • Like 2