"Detroit Miss" P-51D Mustang, 361st Fighter Group

"Detroit Miss"

375th Fighter Squadron, 361st Fighter Group

Tamiya 1/32nd scale

Haven't posted anything in quite some time, partly due to a fall in output due to work commitments. However, I thought I would share my most recent completed build. I won't go on about the kit as plenty has been written already and there are some fantastic examples already in RFI. The kit was almost OOB with the exception of the following:

• Barracuda cockpit upgrades
  • HGW seat harness
  • Eduard Brassin replacement wheels

Wing rivets and panel lines were puttied over as per the original and it was painted with metallic shades from the MR Paint range, augmented with Gunze and Tamiya paints. Markings were a mixture of Montex masks and Zoukei Mura decals for their own P-51. Hope you enjoy the pictures and look forward to your comments.

Regards

Howard

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

windows 7 screen shot

• Like 38

Hey "H"!

That's a very convincing NMF you've achieved there, nice to see a 361St kite for a change as well. I think you should be very pleased with the outcome no matter how long it took to finish.

• Like 1

Lovely P-51. You seem to have achieved just the right level of used look to me, particularly the worn look to the Mustang ID stripes.

• Like 1

Thanks to all who have commented and 'liked'. Much appreciated!

..very nice indeed. You didn't happen to research Drew's Me 262 claims while building that did you?

Thanks. Didn't research in much detail, are they still contentious? I thought they were confirmed by his wing man after the war?

Hey "H"!
That's a very convincing NMF you've achieved there, nice to see a 361St kite for a change as well. I think you should be very pleased with the outcome no matter how long it took to finish.

Thanks Kurt. Fuselage sprayed with Mr Paint Duraluminum then mottled with Anodised Aluminium and Dark Aluminium

Very nice job. I really like how you puttied over the wings and differentiated their painted wings from the natural metal fuselage. I was lucky enough to be able to examine several P51s at Oshkhosh and those that were true to the original showed an obvious difference in tone between the the two areas as you've managed to depict.

That's real attention to detail, so often missed on P51 models.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

Thanks to all who have left comments.

Very nice job. I really like how you puttied over the wings and differentiated their painted wings from the natural metal fuselage. I was lucky enough to be able to examine several P51s at Oshkhosh and those that were true to the original showed an obvious difference in tone between the the two areas as you've managed to depict.
That's real attention to detail, so often missed on P51 models.

A beautiful result and I like the fact that you have puttied the wings. The differentiation in the tones looks great.

Regards

Richard C

Thanks to both of you with your comments about the wings. It was a bit of a heart in mouth moment for me as I wanted the finish to be as authentic as it could be within my skill limits but was very nerrvous about losing all that wonderful detail and getting a smooth finish. I sprayed 2 coats of Mr Surfacer 500 and two coats of Tamiya fine surface primer with each coat being sanded back between applications. Fortunately it proved quite easy and didn't take long to do.

Regards

H

• Like 1

Thanks Kurt. Fuselage sprayed with Mr Paint Duraluminum then mottled with Anodised Aluminium and Dark Aluminium

Anodised Aluminium, sounds interesting, I really must try Mr Paint if I ever get to the stage of painting something again!!

• 1 year later...

Howard,

Great to see a Mustang with puttied wing panels rather than those panels being wash enhanced, which makes me cringe every time I see it.

Your model is the first I've seen this way for...ages!

(Grabs tin hat and dives under desk!)

That fact and the superb finish make this a very special model of a P51D.

Congratulations!

Cheers

Nick