Revell Lockheed Super Constellation and Classic-Airlines Aerlinte Eireann

Hello,

Returning back from my spell overseas and having the next week off from work, I can push on with the first group of airliners and even consider starting some more...

As per the title, the Revell Super Constellation model is my next victim. I like this kit quite a lot; there are a few issues with it (here we go again) namely the flight deck clear cover is a bit too shallow and doesn't correctly portray the increased size of the windows introduced with the L1049. The windows were about 4" taller than those of the original L049 series. I'm not really sure of the best way to correct this - on the few I've built I haven't really bothered and for this one I may choose to ignore the issue and build "as-is".

Also, the rear of the fuselage is a bit off in shapes and sizes, but again in two minds to even point this out.

20160819_130958.jpg

On the model, you can see I've previously marked out some areas that needed to be altered for the intended colour scheme I had in mind at that time (I think it may have been Eastern Airlines). And also for the Aerlinte Eireann/ Irish International Airlines/ Irish Air Lines aircraft the cabin windows will need to be altered to be in the correct place. The decal sheet from Classic-Airlines.com is nicely produced and has the windows included in the cheatline. Therefore, to save time, I may fill the windows and use the decals (slowly, model by model I'm increasingly using decals...heresy I used to think!!)

20160819_131015.jpg

The only other choice to make is

- Aerlinte Eireann

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Aerlinte-Eireann-%28Seaboard-Western-Airlines%29/Lockheed-L-1049E-01-Super-Constellation/1096247

- Irish Air Lines

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Irish-Air-Lines-%28Seaboard-Western-Airlines%29/Lockheed-L-1049E-01-Super-Constellation/100798

- Irish International Airlines

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Irish-International-Airlines-%28Seaboard-Western-Airlines%29/Lockheed-L-1049H-Super-Constellation/183416.

Jeff

• Like 4

This one has received some attention too.

With the decals including the windows in the cheat line, I've had to fill the kit apertures. First, I glued in the clear windows and the followed up with Tamiya filler on one side and gap filling CA glue on the other side. The Tamiya side has shown the sinkage that I feared would happen. Using CA glue gives better results; it cures quickly and sands beautifully. However, I've noticed that the plastic kit seems to have "shrunk" from around the glue leaving very faint outlines.

20160822_224544.jpg

The flight deck has been assembled, painted and put aside for installation. I wont add any detail as I've absolutely zero interest in adding any kind of detail that will not be seen at all.

The engines exhausts have been drilled out - the uprated engines used in the L1049 Constellation was the Wright R3350 Turbo Compound that had three power recovery turbines fitted.

20160823_141849.jpg

20160823_141909.jpg

They look a bit crude at the moment but a bit of tidy up and a rusty, oily, sooty exhaust paint job will give them a bit more life.

It's not long before a model of the most beautiful piston engined aircraft ever built (IMO) appears on the bench!!

20160823_142016.jpg

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 4

Lovely subject! You have given me a welcome nudge to build my Revell Connie and use a set of Whiskey jack decals for a Nordair machine. I may even get a start on it very soon now that I have got a couple other models finished and out the way.

Thank you Chris.

I've got a question that I'm hoping someone could answer.

Flicking through a book about the Constellation, I came across a photo of one of the Irish airlines machines in New York.

The caption accompanying it stated that on the left side was the gaelic writing and on the right was the English language equivalent.

I wasn't aware of this, I know that the aircrafts name is done this way, but the main titles?

The problem is, the aircraft were used for a short period (under lease from Seabord and Western from about April 1958 until December 1960) and during that time the airline changed its name from Aerlinte Eireann (1958) to Irish Air Lines (1959) before Irish International Airlines (1960) and then the Connies left.

So each year the name changed, but was there ever a time when one side was written in gaelic and the other English?

And the aircraft on the decal sheet had square tipped blades...

Jeff

Nice to see a Connie in the GB, this is the later tool kit I assume?

Yes it is. The original kit was 1/128 as you may well know.( as per the image by ancient mariner) Not a bad one for the time.

• Like 1

I really love the Eastern Air Lines colours shown on the box top posted by Ancient Mariner. I've got a set of Vintage Flyer Decals I'm itching to use!!

Now, one of the problems with the Revell kit concerns the main wing dihedral. Gluing the main wing parts together "as is" produces a nice tight fit with minimal gaps all round. However, the wings are pretty much flat and don't have the up sweep of the actual aircraft.

To overcome this, I first removed the top wing tabs (they locate into the fuselage). Then, I did a bit of angled sanding along the fuselage/ wing join. Now the wings were all fitted and with elastic bands and masking tape, the underside joins were held tightly to remove any step that would form.

I gave that a few minutes to take hold, then each wing was pulled up to the correct(ish) angle before flooding the join with gap filling superglue whilst masking tape was run around the wingtip and over the top of the fuselage to set the angle. A nice generous amount of filler was slathered on afterwards.

20160825_210449.jpg

20160825_210545.jpg

20160825_210607.jpg

The aircraft on the decal sheet (N1008C) has a rear side cargo door. On a previous Constellation I built in the markings of Flying Tiger Line, I scribed on the cargo door but did it a bit too heavily. For this build, I'll fill the panel lines and just allow the decal sheet door outlines to do the rest. So, the rear panel lines were filled and left aside to harden.

20160825_210658.jpg

Next, the clear bits were added. The nose cone was first to be fitted. It's fit isn't too bad at all, just requires a quick fill and rub down. However, the flight deck cap was another story...

20160825_212652.jpg

It all looks a bit grim, but as I mentioned the nose cone is OK, but just look at that cockpit piece!!

If only Paul Fisher would scale down his 1/72 Heller replacement part ( http://fishermodels.indiemade.com/product/corrected-nose-and-cabin-constellation-ec-121-172?tid=4).

I'll give up all hope of keeping clear windows with this one and just fill and sand to a more representative shape!!

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 1

Here is the Connie, waiting for a bit more attention.

20160828_133242.jpg

Now the observant will observe something strange...

I haven't produced a tail sitter - I've produced a perfectly balanced model!!!

The cocktail stick under the nose is supposed to be there to support the aircraft because the rear cocktail sticks are in the main undercarriage mounting holes!

It doesn't lean forwards, it doesn't lean backwards - perfectly balanced!

Jeff

• Like 2

Here is the Connie, waiting for a bit more attention.

20160828_133242.jpg

Now the observant will observe something strange...

I haven't produced a tail sitter - I've produced a perfectly balanced model!!!

The cocktail stick under the nose is supposed to be there to support the aircraft because the rear cocktail sticks are in the main undercarriage mounting holes!

It doesn't lean forwards, it doesn't lean backwards - perfectly balanced!

Jeff

:mike:

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Progress (of sorts)

An attempt has been made to deal with the horrible flight deck cap. Looking at the picture, I think I've forgotten that I will use the decal sheet cockpit windows because for some reason I've applied filler as if I'm trying to preserve them!?!

20160828_174614.jpg

The blades have been painted. I used AK Xtreme Metal aluminium for the outer portions and Humbrol matt aluminium metalcote for the spinner and inner parts of the blades. I've also decided not to square off the blade tips.

Again, the unforgiving close-up nature of pictures reveals a seam line around the trailing edges of the blades that is a lot less conspicuous in "the flesh" so to speak.

20160829_210355.jpg

The clear nose and cockpit roof have been blended in to my satisfaction (that is until I see the photos) and a light coat of white paint has been applied to the fuselage to check for joins, gaps, seams and scratches.

More pictures will follow when more progress is made.

Jeff

• Like 4

Thanks Cliff.

I was in two minds about which colour scheme to do for this one. I had previously marked out the fuselage with pencil markings for an Easter Airlines Connie in the colour scheme shown on the Revell box top in Ancient Mariners post above. The first photo I posted shows some of these guides. I think I needed to add a couple of windows and fill a couple of others.

The Constellation is a particular favourite of mine, so if I didn't build the Eastern one for this group build it would still have built at some point in the future (don't we all say that!!?).

Other options I considered were either Air France or KLM. But they'll come later...

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Ray,

I'll more than likely fill the cockpit windows. The cockpit area is the one part that really spoils this kit for me. It looks more like the earlier Constellation variants than the Super version. I've always been meaning to experiment with a roof cap to see if it's possible to file out the windows and enlarge them. PVA glue could then be used for the glazing. 

The clear nose cone does have a moulded representation of the lower lights. I've applied a drop of masking fluid to it and painted the nose black in preparation for its full paint job soon.

Hopefully I'll make a bit of progress on this one shortly. 

Jeff