Ju 88A-4, Sicily, June 1941 (Revell 1/72)

Dear Fellow Modellers,

This is my rendition of Revell's 1/72 Ju 88A-4, in the scheme used in Sicily, in 1941. It was my entry to the Ju 88 STGB. Unfortunately I didn't managed to finish it in time, even after an additional week was given to finish the GB.

The WIP thread is here.

Anyway, it was finished last night and here are a few notes, before the pictures:

• It's my first two-engined bomber model and my most complex model until now
  • It was super-detailed using Eduard's BIG PE set, with details for the interior, exterior and surface panels
  • The kit's engine exhausts were replaced by Quickboost's resin exhausts, much better detailed
  • I scratch built the inner ribbing structure of the tail section, using strips of plasticard, and the instrument boxes and wiring on the back of the instrument panel, using pieces of plasticard rods and very thin copper wire
  • Masking of the transparent parts was done using the pre-cut masks in Eduard's BIG set
  • The kit has a few important fit problems: the join of cockpit underside and top parts, the join of the front fuselage and nose glazing, the join of the wing tips with the rest of the wings, the insertion of wings in the fuselage and the join of the the wings' leading edges and fuselage
  • Painting was done mainly with Gunze acrylics and a few Tamiya, all airbrushed. Alclad Aluminium was used for a few NMF parts
  • Alclad's Aqua Gloss was used as clear coat before decaling and the wash, and Alclad's Flat Klear was used as finishing coat
  • Weathering was done with Vallejo's washes and pigments using period photos as references

Now, the pictures of the finished model.

1. General views

y4m4qNcHbyJc3JT79Fr-rhFKhLgudu0YIvWGdjEv

IMAG4282

y4m5JpxU0z5uV75rfn684As3WOvLmuAQba0NBaBh

IMAG4283

y4mGwzpO7N9vL-XlQbFlJzvgJjKDumnoKWSkzHut

IMAG4284

y4mx7WVV-ddbDZimOc5MpkJI64J7JJYksa1gKST9

IMAG4285

y4mYKrzoYatuzLIY8tKUvKbGDwMlagEF9nxeJhor

IMAG4286

y4mEzCJtZGOtYd6tWInkdCOAbXwpYSV4flIuPLyL

IMAG4287

y4mqHAPhYjxbo_A5y62uy40GTHc0Eu3_timJ5d39

IMAG4288

y4mOjqtqpt9uysPT68oTFNfn12snSnPWxBYrsSDL

IMAG4289

y4mXlGHzTDEb02IBM9YCTkwKgDiz1wD16b_Z_42d

IMAG4290

y4mE723tkcDoZT2MtB2MTbkCXIvTey_Axx3ztXZn

IMAG4291

y4mJtgg98EYmwBKBJ6m5GE1LEmiIED8GvN4XoKMM

IMAG4292

y4mPpY1t5b9gH38Ijmca9Ub5I79dsEJGD0OJHliS

IMAG4297

2. Engine detail

y4mGrWprEGH-XWSKiXfLz6v1K2c5aw7bfafZjgur

IMAG4293

3. Kill markings and aerial

y4mNtaWcNy8XqMoIAIpR1lXMSZya7Xo3laoWcHfy

IMAG4278

4..Cockpit and canopy views

y4mpfnzSKw-dYfQ1Xj0rRHpQOwz2MRiZYMWyyXIx

IMAG4294

y4m_vysIcKzmSpgHwfovyElxy_akyfnvFjxIX_CT

IMAG4295

y4m66B1kCtZYruuSwvLC6vWmcp6-rC_KQPb9RPMC

IMAG4296

5. Cockpit before being closed

y4mqbuGcPrc6iSeoCsfOHCGLR78ac5bneNKH-F-Q

IMAG3971

y4mW0MfR9vNxWxpXhLONJ_sLEESxu34Mxctw5UiO

IMAG3975

y4mbYPgS8vvSOtUqp7sljFS5MtNNlafW_rJPTbf6

IMAG4001

y4mF9OpV6sqgg4mIaA25Gfk9MzlLc6jxj5y9QN0H

IMAG4060

6. Instrument panel and the detailing of its back

y4mD349GfxOYF73rILW_TRfCWzkneKfRPtBfmB2v

IMAG3979

y4mWV0ZOhHUEnV5MerKroggwDTwYtgDVAq2A2fB2

IMAG3978

7. Installation of machine guns and ammo belts

y4myx-h5Dx0-02tYozmfexIKyxx9MF5g5iKDmJza

IMAG4045

y4mHklh1HmBTkwrnnBZBuUlAZbthqKwq2Y_8oyd3

IMAG4051

8. Internal ribbing of the tail section

y4mDKmkxtE1sTCQPvq9sbADL3hN5Lp_a9RzF15XB

IMAG3815

y4mQB9wmRC8vnd-uv9KZIkM6f6aK5OKEiGMkFK2j

IMAG3816

y4mFhfERmUrVmLrSzD19v9O6o98jM6RQL-kLU3y1

IMAG3817

y4mrHjip_oDOHavwIDdUlga7F2Ku2wEqSu3hqMU9

IMAG3818

9. Details of bombs and access hatch

y4m1uQiREPuQNnNsRegFeLkvAlcL7aB4fWBEyvEx

IMAG4298

10. Landing gear:

y4m5Jp7kYqbixibilgu8w7p8PTpuLAP1zfASuFI9

IMAG4299

y4mr-8A-C4M_aso-Yy1HrZKIUc9OqxrC7dseNBZ3

IMAG4300

11. Oil, fuel and exhaust stains on the wing

y4metf-whTlwheWQ_sab0Ze4pjFzSUcmP3_FklLX

IMAG4301

12. With the other German "cousins" in the display shelf.

y4mvyvoW68xXkXK8DItwqtzeopLZStoieFStjcC4

IMAG4302

Thanks for looking. All comments, suggestions and criticism are welcome.

Cheers

Jaime

EDIT: picture of kill markings and aerial added

• Like 67

:wow: Absolutely stunning on all levels. Beautifully detailed, painted and weathered! Superb! Very well done. :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Thank you very much, Stix! Very kind words and much appreciated!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

You've certainly overcome the problems with this one Jaime and applied more PE than I've seen before with great care and patience.

The attention to detail, including the weathering, is exceptional - great job.

• Like 1

That Sir is magnificent, simply magnificent. Your eye for detail and ability to put it into effect is an outstanding talent. Loving the cockpit and subtle weathering effects. How about a shot of the kill markings on the tail?

Very well done mate.

Phil

• Like 1

I as one who often thinks , prematurely, " that will do" when finishing my models and put them on the display shelf not quite finished could only marvell at your quest for perfection . I have not botherd with small pieces of etch in 1/32 scale thinking that it wont make much difference . I see that it is the mass accumilation of the super detail that has made your 88 so special .

It has been a joy to watch something i could not acheive ,even in a g/b lasting a thousand years . :goodjob:

Alistair

• Like 1

Wow - just wow!!!

What can be said about that, absolute perfection really. This one of the things that makes me come back to Britmodeller forums every day - looking forward to seeing absolute masterpieces, created by modelling masters to a standard I will likely never be able to emulate or match - but that I will always be able to admire, respect, and enjoy :)

Incredible build!!!

• Like 1

Hello,Jaime - I followed this build's WIP with admiration and respect of your skill and expertise in working with such minute and intricate details that you've bestowed upon this scale replica of the 'Ju-88'.The photos speak for themselves and many viewers could be forgiven for thinking that they were looking at a bigger scale subject.You've done a textbook job with the building process and the same with the paint and finishing work.She's also in fine company with the others in your Luftwaffe collection.Marvellous modelling indeed! ;) All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Thank you all very much for the extremely kind words :blush: I'm glad you like it, as I believe this is my best effort yet.

As requested by Phil, I've edited the initial post to add a picture showing the tail kill markings more closely, together with detail of the aerial, to which I added an isolator made of a black-painted drop of CA.

Cheers

Jaime

PS: continuing on a Luftwaffe theme, I intend to start two Bf 109s in the Great Patriotic War GB, as flown by Erich Hartmann (one in winter camouflage and the other his last aircraft). They're an Academy G14 and a Fine Molds K4, respectively. I'll throw Eduard's PE sets for theses kits and Quickboost's resin exhausts in the mi, once more :banghead:

• Like 2

Thanks again for such kind comments! It was also a pleasure for me to build this model in the Ju 88 STGB. The support and interest of the other participants was a great incentive to keep going and try and make an as much detailed as possible model. This build also provided a lot of experience in using PE accessories. I now feel much more confident in using them.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1