ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

7 minutes ago, moaning dolphin said:

I could be very much mistaken but I don't think the Wessie had a yellow internal to the window?

Bob

No, I don't think it did, either; it was a Sea King thing, for some reason now lost in the mists of time.  Very distinctive, though; the things would just not look right without yellow inner windows.

32701492251_4f24a80e3d_b.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

No, I don't think it did, either;

certainly not back in my era.  We tended not to drop them in the water so didn't need that garish decoration. (apart from the one that fell into the South China Sea in the 90's that is)

When PE works, it really works - those window frames are a treat to behold. 

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

(does PE have a sprue?

I'd say no. To me, PE has a frame.

And plastic kits don't have a sprue either (well they did have but that was cut off back at the molder). They have a runner, runner system, or a runner tree, or to be more technically correct, a melt delivery system.  See ? ya learn things on this forum

• Like 4

Thanks for the windows reassurance guys, I wonder if the Sea King got them because of the plethora of choices if you were under the oggin and gazing, terrified (I would have been) around at all those windows trying to remember with a final breath or two which of the things you could get outa Dodge through

A glimmer of yellow would certainly be a welcome reminder

Nice picture of those data plates on the cab framing, does that mean....?

;)

Glad you are glad

So now, no doubt is Crisp

But he needn't fret, there are several data plates on Nimbuses that I am prone to omitting on my builds

Never any need to apply Form 700 certification on my models unlike Debs's

;)

5 hours ago, hendie said:

of course it does - but I'm glad you mentioned it nonetheless !

Me too! ;)

Looking fantastic!

Christian, exiled to africa

8 hours ago, perdu said:

Thanks for the windows reassurance guys, I wonder if the Sea King got them because of the plethora of choices if you were under the oggin and gazing, terrified (I would have been) around at all those windows trying to remember with a final breath or two which of the things you could get outa Dodge through

A glimmer of yellow would certainly be a welcome reminder

Nice picture of those data plates on the cab framing, does that mean....?

;)

No, it doesn't - at least, not on this build, because the door is shut.  My future 819 SAR Cab, however, is becoming more complicated with every passing day...

• Like 2

The ability of some dark paint to show up previously invisible seams is remarkable.  I genuinely thought I had done enough to the top seams of this aircraft, but...

32452814950_7bfebeb92c_h.jpg

...still a bit to do!

Since I am going to be out for the day looking at other people's work, here are a couple for Hendie.  How do you like my sponson-fettling skills, eh?  Doesn't look like a rubber now, does it?

32452815830_8fb9441c8c_b.jpg

32452815400_1d028b1b97_h.jpg

Have fun

More tomorrow

Crisp

• Like 8

Emplary

or is it exemplary  ;)

I thought we knew the doors were shut but you know that Hendie

Find him a molehill...

I'm sorta going off PPP for similar reasons to the seams herein, I will only remove excess with a wet sanding board now so gaps will fill themselves

Note my Wasp roof to doorpost filling

Enjoy your day out, I'm having a similar tomorrow, Huddersfield

Belvedere searching included

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Doesn't look like a rubber now, does it?

nope, but it is looking remarkably like an HR Giger Aliens head, disembodied, then affixed to the side of the fuselage, or perhaps a full creature crawling from the underbelly ,,, Poised, waiting for dinner to be winched up to mouth height

or is it just me ?

2 hours ago, hendie said:

nope, but it is looking remarkably like an HR Giger Aliens head, disembodied, then affixed to the side of the fuselage, or perhaps a full creature crawling from the underbelly ,,, Poised, waiting for dinner to be winched up to mouth height

or is it just me ?

What, exactly, was IN that haggis???? :elephant:

Ian

• Like 4

Having said how wonderful PE is for things like the front grilles, it is only fair to point out that it is rubbish for some other things.  A particular pet hate of mine is flat representations of things that are clearly round, such as handles.  Yes, I know that's a limitation of etching, but why etch a flat handle in the first place, when you can just use a bit of bent wire.

I have in my possession a special bending device from Small Shop, designed precisely for the purpose of making handles:

32687317372_d3bf4bd2e3_b.jpg

The Sea King has a number of prominent handles on the side and top of the aircraft, so I have spent a happy hour listening to Forest get thrashed (that's not what has made me happy; au contraire!) and bending bits of wire to fit - like this:

32687317542_d57a15a114_h.jpg

On the other hand, the model would have you build very prominent handles further back on the dog kennel - I know that there were places marked HAND HOLD, but I certainly don't recall - nor can I see in reference photos - blooming great handles sticking up.  Worse, the slots for them make the top of the dog kennel look a right dogs' breakfast, so I plugged them:

32687317712_093ff32c49_b.jpg

...and then sanded them flat.  As you can see, I have been remedying the nasty seams revealed by my squirt of RAF BG paint:

32459838260_a263be5ef2_b.jpg

Now that the sanding is complete up there, I feel safe enough to glue that lovely Eduard grille in position.

More tomorrrow

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 9

More tidy work Crispin :speak_cool:

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

What, exactly, was IN that haggis???? :elephant:

It isn't what you put in it, it's what you wash it down with ;) :cheers:

• Like 2

Do you ever have days when you set out to do one thing and end up doing something completely different?

I started today (apart from watching the rugby) planning to finish off adding the handles - and, indeed, I did accomplish this.  Gradually I am moving ever closer to the point where I spray a full-on layer of primer on this beast, but I am something of a perfectionist when it comes to paint; I know that it is almost impossible to do too much preparation of your surface, and that every minute spent sorting out blemishes now pays off in hours later.

As I move all over the fuselage, my eye keeps on noticing blemishes - a wee dink where the chisel slipped when countersinking some PE, or some nasty looking scratches where I missed a bit of filler until too late.  So I started - briefly - to work my way forward from the tail gradually sorting them out.  I ended up completely stripping the airframe!  It occurred to me after a short while of tail-fettling that the only reason it was Tamiya primed in the first place was to provide a colour against which it was easier to see the HGW rivets.  But as you know those rivets are off at present (though we are getting close to their glorious return), so why am I faffing about to to feather the edge of blemishes in the primer?

So here you have the Sea King as she has not been seen for many weeks; almost entirely devoid of paint.  Sorting the surface from here should be a great deal easier...

32482237660_6cfdc53723_h.jpg

32709879722_a47cb5ce78_h.jpg

32822254996_788d44b9eb_h.jpg

You will see from the final shot that the Micromark rivets survived quite happily.  All the PE remained firmly in position, too.

The second shot has a few of the cotton buds visible - I went through dozens of them.  In places there was quite a lot of paint on there, so little bits of detail have re-emerged.

It also allows you to see quite easily just how many modifications and additions I have made.  I must be nuts!

All in all, I am happy!

Crisp

P.S. The apparent overhang on the Sea Searcher radar radome in the second shot is an optical illusion from a small line of residual RAF BG paint!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 6

I think I loves it best

When it has no paint at all

No I don't mean don't paint it but when we see the warts and all shots like this we can truly see what our guru is achieving 

I bet you can tell I like it, can't you?

:)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hendie said:

nah... it'll be better than that !

It had better be after we had to watch all those rivets being put in place! 

Martian

Yet more lumps and bumps.

First up, the fairing (a small concession to you parasite drag fascists) that fits over the wiring connection point at the front of the weapon carrier in order to protect it - though I think it is more because it's immediately underneath the cargo door and so prone to impact from Size 9s than anything else.  FlightPath provide it as the white metal lump (which is a good representation of the real shape - we're not talking subtle engineering here).  Also the connector immediately aft of the cargo door, where the wiring plugs in.

Here, as a reminder, is the real aircraft: you can just about see the fairing under the door - it's black, so you might have to just look where the wires stop!  

32051602154_0d6346ec8d_b.jpg

32079400203_81eda68998_h.jpg

The other new parts, perhaps more obvious, are the SACRU hooks.  These are every bit as agricultural in real life as FlightPath have portrayed them - if anything they might have been a bit too restrained!  But then you would have blooming' gurt big bolts if you were designed to lift a few tons of underslung load.  Here is a glimpse of a real one (starboard for'd):

32514211270_1629f38f5e_h.jpg

[Incidentally, the T-shaped flange in the right foreground is the connection point for the aerodynamic (ha!) fairing I have just been talking about.]

They also show up well from the underside: in due course they will each have a small wheel inserted on a brass rod between the two (pre-drilled) flanges.

32079399723_6fe764e754_h.jpg

Finally for now, she is starting to sprout aerials.  I have had to check, re-check and double-check references shots here, because the aerial / radio fit evolved constantly in the Sea King fleet.  However, the two spine aerials (one UHF, the other VHF) were fairly constant.  Note also the I-band transponder "can" aerial under the tail.

32079399903_e9fdbf3730_h.jpg

Next up, carving an approximation of the prominent nose VHF aerial out of this.  FlightPath provide a PE version made out of a sandwich of 3 pieces of brass (because the real thing is quite chunky), but no matter how much I try i don't seem to be able to stop it looking like 3 pieces of brass, so instead I used it as a template for the shape of a piece of thick plastic card.

32741026222_2988b2bdc0_b.jpg

More soon.

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

Nice work, if anything I'd say the Sacru fastening points look as if they need beefing up to make em closer to real

Funny really when you see how much lighter built the Wessex ones are

Those etch parts are amazing, I gotta learn how to use the stuff... this year I hope

These 'large' little touches are going to make this the Sea King defining model you know Crisp

Utterly brilliant

• Like 1