ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Close of play tonight, (with dry-fitted windscreen & Barn Door).

Definitely starting to look the part now.

32654280082_285a12c82a_b.jpg

Is that a yellow paint pot in the background. .. is this for the inside of the pilots side windows? ?

Looking superb thus far 

Edited by MarkdipXV711
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

32654280082_285a12c82a_b.jpg

C'mon Crisp - that sponson looks like a bit of a half hearted effort.  I thought you would have done better than that after all the effort you've put into this ! 

:whistle:

fuselage looks great though !

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, hendie said:

C'mon Crisp - that sponson looks like a bit of a half hearted effort.  I thought you would have done better than that after all the effort you've put into this ! 

Give a man a chance.  I am experimenting with a  new technique in scale modelling, namely carving up old rubbers (erasers to those with American and/or dirty minds).  You just follow the old sculptors' advice, and move the bits that don't look like sponson.  

Painting and rivets might be an issue, but pioneers always face ill informed criticism.

• Like 4

First up, a quick win (as we ex-management consultants no longer have to say, thank God!): some more nice Eduard PE-ery:

32693643191_38e5ae0608_b.jpg

Again I took the trouble to counter-sink this with my invaluable micro-chisel.  Definitely worth the effort; it looks like part of the airframe, rather than something stuck on top of it.

My thoughts are now turning to bits that I cannot put off any longer - notably this area (apologies for slight lack of focus; this was taken when the airframe was still in the main museum, where the lighting is not great for photography - most of my shots of this cab were taken in Cobham Hall (the reserve collection) where the light is much better):

32436147040_d3da54d9a1_h.jpg

One thing that I see with pleasure (especially after what I just said about counter-sinking) is the fact that the oval shape with prominent rivets around the edge of the ECU exhaust is proud of the aircraft skin - trying to counter-sink that neatly would have been a challenge!  So I can happily use this (part upside down 107):

32436146690_e3ea0eeb23_b.jpg

Note also parts 86, which are the exhaust blanks, as seen fitted to the real thing above.  (I like the little detail of the THIS WAY UP PORT stencil, though whether I can produce anything that small must be in doubt).  Eduard also produce two little handles for the blank, elsewhere on the PE fret.

So far, so good.  Now move your eye forward to the engine bay door.  Appreciate the lovely raised rivets!  Then look at those blooming' coolling grilles...

I have already fitted the rear fire access one, which is well inset into the skin, so a doddle to fit inside the part.  The forward ones, however, are a challenge - and is the thing I have been putting off.

32436202730_59b86bac1d_b.jpg

32436202550_a30a9891c9_b.jpg

The problem is that - unusually for Eduard - the PE grille they provide for this aperture is rectangular, whereas the hole is very much tapered.  Not easy to tell in that shot, so hang on a minute while I take another one.

[A few minutes later].  Right.  

31974104864_c04bb176a1_b.jpg

That gives a better idea of the fairly complex geometry of the aperture. The lower two are fine - the triangular one is mirrored on the starboard side, and that worked perfectly, and the small square-ish one to the rear is simple enough (and is also inside the skin).  It's the top one, which is tapered and twists throughout its length, and I have been dreading trying to get a piece of brass to fit cleanly.  Below you can see FlightPath's offering on the left - by no means awful, but actually (though interestingly it isn't very apparent in this photo) it is just surface etching, not a grille - and every other grille on the model has real holes in it.  The other one is Eduard's piece, which just looks as though the designer put it into the Too Difficult tray.

Anyway, addressing that is going to be today's game, because it is the last major part that remains to be fitted to the airframe - and therefore prevents priming.

Back later, no doubt.

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

31974104864_c04bb176a1_b.jpg

That gives a better idea of the fairly complex geometry of the aperture. The lower two are fine - the triangular one is mirrored on the starboard side, and that worked perfectly, and the small square-ish one to the rear is simple enough (and is also inside the skin).  It's the top one, which is tapered and twists throughout its length, and I have been dreading trying to get a piece of brass to fit cleanly.  Below you can see FlightPath's offering on the left - by no means awful, but actually (though interestingly it isn't very apparent in this photo) it is just surface etching, not a grille - and every other grille on the model has real holes in it.  The other one is Eduard's piece, which just looks as though the designer put it into the Too Difficult tray.

The reason this grille is surface etched is that the scale pitch of the mesh sections is too fine to successgully etch right through on .008". If you know about the etching prcocess, you will know about 'etch factor' and the lateral run  of the etchant as it 'eats' through the brass. This has to be allowed for at the design stage.  There are tolerances that you just can't go below. OK - we could have made an extra photo tool for say, .005" material but then the set would have cost more. 'Fox' it with careful painting, would be my lazy suggestion. I won't tell anyone!!!

David Parkins

Flightpath

www.djparkins.com

• Like 3

David - in no way was any criticism aimed at your conversion set (which I genuinely think is superb, incidentally; the weapons carriers alone are worth the price of admission, before you even start on that exquisite door / step - and if you have been reading this then you know of my delight at discovering the TR gust lock that didn't even make your instructions).  It is just that having used Eduard and/or Aber etched grille for every other aperture on my model, to use yours here would look odd - to me, if not to anyone else.

I am, however, honoured that the producer of so much of this stuff has been reading my build!

Easy ones now done...

32003354863_0bc108fe35_b.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

David - in no way was any criticism aimed at your conversion set (which I genuinely think is superb, incidentally; the weapons carriers alone are worth the price of admission, before you even start on that exquisite door / step - and if you have been reading this then you know of my delight at discovering the TR gust lock that didn't even make your instructions).  It is just that having used Eduard and/or Aber etched grille for every other aperture on my model, to use yours here would look odd - to me, if not to anyone else.

I am, however, honoured that the producer of so much of this stuff has been reading my build!

Easy ones now done...

32003354863_0bc108fe35_b.jpg

Yes - surperb build BTW -

Regards

David

• Like 3

As so often with things you dread and put off for ages, that wasn't as bad as I'd feared; the secret was to anchor the part down as firmly as possible, because any movement at the wrong moment was fatal (ask me how I know).

In due course, once the glue is fully dry and I have cleaned up a bit, I will probably add some Micromark or Archers rivets around the edge of the top piece to give a 'border' like the others - but I am calling this section done.

32665008092_59dc234eba_b.jpg

...and (dry fitted) in situ, thus completing the top section of the fuselage.

32665042122_5f72f26d0e_b.jpg

Note also restored Coke Can and the PE surrounds to the ECU exhausts... and lack of SSLs / Manual Throttles, which are yet to be restored.

More later

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 6

Wow!  Coming from the man who built that stunning Wessex, that is some compliment.  Thank you, everyone.

I had one of those outpouring of rude words moments today - nothing too serious, thank God, but still...  I think I said a few posts back that a minor accident had dislodged the Speed Selects & Manual Throttles from the cockpit roof, and that one of each had disappeared into the maw of the carpet monster.  OK, so I built replacements yesterday... and then came to fit them this afternoon.  SSL on no problem, pick up the yellow & black striped pole (2mm long) in the tweezers and... PING!.  So I build another one, and b*gger me if I don't do exactly the same thing.  Hence the rude words.  Most of you probably heard them at home.

Still, at least it made me look up, and this averted a minor disaster; I had glued the port engine bay door in place, but then noticed that the piece of Aber brass grille last seen inside the door adorning one of the fire access panels... seemed to be sitting on my work bench.  Luckily the glue was still pretty soft, so I was able to prise it all apart and refit everything.  Save No.1.

Since in theory we are now pretty close to fitting the windscreen, I decided to make a start on the pilots' side windows - largely to determine how well they fit, in case there looks like a need for major fettling before I fit the windscreen.  Happily, that doesn't seem to be necessary.  As my erstwhile esteemed Aircrewman, markdipXV711, observed a couple of days ago, the side of the pilots' windows on an RN Sea King is always painted yellow (to assist them to find it upside down, in the gloom, under water - this simple thing has saved more than one life), so I copied the shape of the Eduard external masks in Tamiya maskers and slurped on some Tamiya XF-3 Yellow.  

At the same time I detached the FlightPath window frames from their sprue (does PE have a sprue?  Anyway, the thing wot is comes attached to).  These are a really excellent piece of etching, and will add significantly to the look of the front end, but FlightPath's brass is relatively thick so it is all the more important to get the counter-sinking done properly.  

So, countersinking:

32824068805_04ccb474df_b.jpg

Early measurement for the windows:

32823891745_9e955b024b_b.jpg

Yellow inners, plus both of the FlightPath frames:

32783108146_f2ca96c5d9_h.jpg

Not only that, but after clearing away the strips of yellow tape etc., there was a lovely discarded black & yellow 2mm pole sitting leering at me on the desktop.  It is now firmly glued in place.  Save No. 2!

On, on

Crisp

Edit: Safely glued back inside (this is upside down, if you are struggling to get your bearings!)

32443564190_c697240503_b.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, perdu said:

should I have painted the driver's windows yellow inside on my HAS3 Wessex?

I could be very much mistaken but I don't think the Wessie had a yellow internal to the window?

Bob

• Like 2

No, not an inept attempt at the first coat of RAF BG - I just had a little paint left over after spraying the two sponsons, so decided to check some seams before I move onto the underside.

32701397561_c90af44078_b.jpg

Initial impression not too bad, though the TR drive shaft might need some work.  It does, however, give a nice glimpse of that rich dark colour that all proper Sea Kings should wear.  I flew them in two different shades of grey and the red & grey SAR livery, but this was always the One True Sea King Colour in my eyes - probably because it was the colour they were when I first flew them.

Unlikely to be much tomorrow, because I am going to Bovvy for the new show - I don't know why Yeovilton stopped doing model shows, but I am glad someone down here has stepped into the breach, even if the place is full of tanks rather than aircraft!

Hope to see some of you there.

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 4