ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

On 1/4/2017 at 3:52 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Here, once again, we have a real Sea King tail:

30986649064_5d6b93f665_b.jpg

Glad the interview went well (as it sounds positive!).

You refer to the spider control being permanently connected, by I was wondering about this with the tail-fold mechanism. The power to rotate the TR is via the top shaft, so would this mean that the lower arm system (with bottlescrew adjuster) be the control for the spider?

The radial geometry for this to stay accurately connected while the whole shebang swings sideways, is quite impressive!

• Like 2

Correct; the disconnect coupling at the top is the break in the tail rotor drive shaft.  The bell-crank jobber at the bottom is the control runs - if you look at the upper of the two diagrams I posted this morning, it appears there (sorry it's so small, BTW).

It isn't a bottlescrew adjuster, I don't think (though Moaning Dolphin and other Grubber folk would know for sure).  It is simply a connecting rod.

I did hear that there is good money down at Poole docks doing favour for sailors..................No? I thought not! (apologies to Blackadder)

Martian

• Like 2

yeah, wot 'e says

(is it weird to think there's a bunch of people, many of whom you never met all agog for news of your interview) ;)  *

I noticed once the RAF BG was on it that the Wessex had huge holes along the bottom seam

I was SOoooo pleased to see that

Honest

* I did at least stand behind you at Telford when Debs, dear Debs was pontificating on the merits of dirty aeroplanes being modelled

Tomo and I had the privilege of her ignoring us because she was with Sir Crisp, but we didn't know who she was blasting off about Forms700 and crew chiefs to...

I hope to see her at Cosford in April and gently rib her about it again  :)

I hope you need to 'dissertate' on Friday

• Like 1

I, too, hope that tomorrow is spent away from the bench and working on a presentation for Friday. We can wait!

Bill, if you do see Debs, please pass on my best wishes. We had hoped to meet up when I was home at Christmas but then other factors combined to prevent that.....

Ian

• Like 1

Wilco skipper

There was discussion that she may be at the Huddersfield Show on Sunday Ian

I hope so but we'll see

The geography is such that Huddersfield in closer to Debs' home than Cosford so I keeps crossed fingers

I hope she sees these occasional mentions just so she knows we still have a place round here for her

I find myself missing that blooming Herkybird too, big pointy nosed thingy as it was

• Like 3

Thanks!  It will - I have a number of irons in assorted fires, so I am not in a panic about it.  But applying for jobs is a time-consuming business, so every time it doesn't lead anywhere it feels like such a waste of time.  Plus being unemployed is really boring.

So I just have to keep myself amused by building Sea Kings. obviously!

• Like 5

Open up the Sea King production line. it's been shut  since 1996 !

I'll help..Got all the tools, I'll bring my Knocking stick and 3 adjustable Spanners, small, bit bigger and can't lift it !

Seriously...Good luck Crisp, hope something comes up !

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear that Crisp I can quite empathise with you about being stuck at home all day. I think without BM I would have gone completely bonkers. Oh, hang on a minute.!

Martian

• Like 4

Sorry to hear Crisp. Better luck next time.

Maybe you can bring the Sea King along to the next one and blow away the interviewer with the extent of your talents? I take the view that anyone who can make a model like this can do pretty much anything well.

Where is Debs posting here Herc build/entertaining commentary these days?

Kirk

24 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Where is Debs posting here Herc build/entertaining commentary these days?

Kirk

All I know is that she is no longer a member of BM.

Martian

Crisp I am gutted for you but as the collective wisdom (and assorted maniacs too) round here have said your talents won't be adrift for long I'm sure

And  your sublime methods for dispelling boredom make this a very comfortable place to watch you getting unbored

fingers crossed sir, well and true

• Like 1

Now I would be the first to agree that PE can be a right PITA, and I know that some fine modellers on here (yes, that's you, Bill) can't stand the stuff.

But there are some parts for which it is so brilliant that you just have to applaud.  Like, for instance, the grilles across the front of the Sea King rotor head:

32805506885_925d32a417_b.jpg

32805506515_463313bb2f_b.jpg

That's two Eduard parts one on top of the other, and I think it takes the model to another place entirely.  Perhaps if I show you the original kit part that these replace...?

31962741964_a6b272dcc4_b.jpg

No comparison, is there.

I also got to use one of those pots of paint that only comes out for a nano-second on each build - usually for a teeny-weeny starboard nav light.  AK Clear Colors set, probably cost me an arm and a leg, but it does work well:

32805506255_8c82d21a25_b.jpg

32764728576_fd1923e95b_b.jpg

This will allow me to fix the windscreen in position quite soon.  It might even have been this evening, but for the fact that I dropped the fuselage earlier; minor damage, thank goodness, but the manual throttles, SSLs and Coke Can all disappeared into the Carpet Monster, so are in the process of being replaced.  Then I can fit the windscreen and get it properly faired in before primer.  That's the plan, anyway.

Further aft, the radar is now glued, but there's no point in a fresh photo, since a glued radar looks eerily similar to a dry fitted radar.

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 10

Superb work. It aint arf looking busy now. Yep the etch is a pain in the proverbial, but yep again it looks the business, and yep yep again the original kit part is pants! Although in all fairness it probably aint too bad, it's cos the replacement is so good.

The other good news is that I have realised I won't need to produce any home-made transfers.  I have Xtradecal generic letters & numbers that will take care of the ZE419, and if I mask the red & black rectangle (which ought to be possible), their 8" letters should do nicely for the DANGER signs - the good news being that splitting them between tail pylon and fuselage thus becomes much easier.  I even have a spare 820 NAS crest in 1/48, left over from a 4+ Swordfish set - the crest didn't change at all between the 40s and 1988, so Ropert is your Mother's Brother.  The Hasegawa stencils from their AEW2a still work round things like Observer's window, so I think I am going to be OK. 

Finally for today, I have re-primed the 2 sponsons, having fixed the seams, and (ta-daaaah) am trying out the debut of my home-cooked Gunza lacquer RAF BG on the long suffering tail pylon...

32683888541_dd5f7e0d64_b.jpg

• Like 5