ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

Delving back into 1/350-land briefly today, to dig out some un-used PE anchor cable from Ark Royal, which is to act as chain lashings for stowage in the forward bins on the tractor.  First they need painting:

36467885205_1e3b2eef18_c.jpg

And speaking of painting, in my short model session today I have largely been doing little detail painting tasks, especially around the rear end of the tractor - exhaust, demin water contents gauge and the furled hose for the demin with its associated wolves (Edit auto-correct:) valves etc.
36467884375_06089a0a33_c.jpg

The hose looks a bit stark at present, but will be toned down with a bit of grime.  Not sure whether the exhaust would really be that rusty, but that's how it's staying on the model!

I have also almost finished the painstaking business of cutting 50+ very small sections of 0.4mm brass pipe, to be turned into weapon wiring connectors (see post a couple of days ago).  Time consuming, but not sexy photos!

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 10

On reflection I think I agree re exhaust - the fact that I did it using paint & pigments marked various flavours of "Rust" had rather blinded me to the fact that it looks burnt just as much as rusty.  So thanks, Steve.

It stays...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

it looks burnt just as much as rusty.  So thanks, Steve.

No thanks deserved.  Pure coincidence.  I was in fact (over cryptically) inter-thread referencing Martian's cooking finger accident......

But now you mention it Crisp - I'll start again.  Standby...

Beautiful exhaust rendition Crisp, captures the rusty/burnt look perfectly :thumbsup: 

PS .  I do in fact mean that - it's small-but-perfectly-formed touches like that that characterise and elevate your work.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Fritag said:

No thanks deserved.  Pure coincidence.  I was in fact (over cryptically) inter-thread referencing Martian's cooking finger accident......

Thanks Steve, make a chap feel better why don't you! :bangin:

Martian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Away from such perverse - and, frankly, not a little unsettling - questions of extra-terrestrial cuisine, there has been some modelling going on.  

Having sliced up lots of 0.4mm brass pipe into teeny-tiny pieces, now it's time for me to fit them.  This is the sort of minuscule work that makes your eyes go in circles after a while, so I can only do two or three at a sitting.  So here is where I've got to now:

35650748594_7e70a80b02_c.jpg

3 T-shaped ones and 1 Y-shape; the Connecto + 3 sections of brass tube each.  [If you could count swear words into a build, they'd be a lot more!]  

And if you are wondering what these are destined to be, then this might help:

36088964000_555f2a2cd1_b.jpg

What I am building here are the metal joints between the sections of red wire; there are (by coincidence) 3 T-shapes & 1 Y-shape in this photo (with the Y being the nearest to the camera).  My plan - which only time will show to be cunning or not - is that the red "wire" sections will be made out of 0.4mm nickel tube bent into shape and then painted - I have already shown the blueprints I have drawn, a few posts back.  The weapons stations themselves are provided as part of the FlightPath set - several pieces of PE wrapped around a white metal core, adding up to a superb representation of a complicated piece of kit.  I've only made one of them up so far - some time ago - but in case it has slipped your memory, here it is:

35677797793_fe1d157b79_c.jpg

My cab will have all four of these fitted and wired up - though no weapons.  You will probably understand that this is not work to be rushed, so it's likely to take a while - but it's an important part of the look of an operational ASW aircraft, so worth it, I think.

Away from the Sea King, and back in tractor land, I've fitted the ?BCF extinguisher to its board (a piece of plastic card) and attached it to the steering column, and then fitted the steering column; once cured, I can add the steering wheel.

35650851464_8a85198b43_c.jpg

We are away for the weekend at a family wedding (of which there are 4 this year - my nephews & nieces have reached that age), so this is likely to be it until Sunday.

[But I'll be logging on regularly, so no redecorating the Man Cave while I'm away!]

More at the weekend

Crisp

Edit: mit steering wheel:

36440611286_a072187767_c.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 10
  • Confused 1

On 07/08/2017 at 10:38 PM, hendie said:

Nope, he headed way down the madness path a long, long time ago.  He's definitely went around the bend a while ago, and by all reasonable geographical headings, should be heading back up the bramble overgrown path towards sanity.  However, I fear that he has yet to take another few detours before finally arriving at whatever passes for sanity here.

I don't think we've seen fizzy pop tins, kitchen roll or clipboards yet so there might be some hope left :)

• Like 3

But we've already got the wallpaper and paste Crisp, how about if we don't do the ceilings?

I do wish you'd stop all this family malarky, we want to see the weapon's stations in full bloom

;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

is that the red "wire" sections will be made out of 0.4mm nickel tube bent into shape

Wouldn't it be easier to use 0.4mm lead wire for the 'wire' Crisp? I'd have thought it would be much easier to bend into the shapes shown in your pic. than nickel tube? Or even fusewire?

By the way, re. that pic., any idea what that vertical yellowish painted section to the right of the red wire is?

Keith

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Wouldn't it be easier to use 0.4mm lead wire for the 'wire' Crisp? I'd have thought it would be much easier to bend into the shapes shown in your pic. than nickel tube? Or even fusewire?

By the way, re. that pic., any idea what that vertical yellowish painted section to the right of the red wire is?

Keith

I suspect this airframe has been painted in a 'crab-like' ASR Yellow scheme at some time in her career, that looks as if a strip of some thick tape or sealant has been peeled away leaving a previous coat

:)

• Like 2

That yellowish section is there on all Sea Kings; it's part of controlling the SACRU.  If you look again, you'll see that there is a slot at the top of it; when rigged for load lifting, a cable is run through that slot, down the stripe, through a small pulley at the bottom of it & thence to the wires of the SACRU.  This allows the crew to pull the rig up close to the belly of the aircraft from inside - if you think about it, the SACRU dangles well below the boat hull and could thus get in the way when landing etc. The stripe is a strip of ?GRP, there to protect the airframe from friction from the cable.  

The photo is of an ASW cab, so the SACRU isn't normally fitted (cos it would get in the way of the sonar body!).  No SACRU, so no cable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

I'd agree on the wire path forward - tubing is likely to kink when bending unless it is really gentle curves

• Like 3

My apologies; you are all, of course, right re tubing.  The original line should actually have read "the red 'wire' sections will be made out of a combination of lead wire and 0.4mm tubing, bent to shape".

I was so convinced that I'd written that first time round that I couldn't understand what you guys were on about at first!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Following up on my post re the "yellow stripe", here are a couple of pics:

1. A close-up of a SAR Mk 5 with SACRU fitted.  You can't see the yellow stripe, but you can see the pulley at the bottom of it, and the 4 thin wires running to the arms of the SACRU.

36328434222_bc7478fdaf_b.jpg

2.  A Junglie cab (from our own BM walk round section); here you can see the wire running down the stripe.

36450567726_7f7c2d8a6d_c.jpg

Hope that helps.

Crisp

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1