ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

At least!  (Though the drill slipped slightly on one of the large ones).  Most of the hard yards measurement and comparison with reference photos was done when I did the drawings; lining it up on the plastic was relatively simple.

Anyway, that's enough holes (Ed):

30690210091_011a979f51_b.jpg

Now I just have to fill them in again.  Some of the rear ones coincide rather tediously with the (internal) cabin floor, which is going to add another layer of complexity when it comes to ensuring everything fits - though of course the cabin floor fulfils no great purpose other than some stiffening, so I might just cut some slots around the appropriate part of the floor.  Anyway, nothing that a lot of dry fitting and sanding can't fix.  I think we call it "modelling".

More tomorrow

Crisp

P.S.  The very last hole, under the rear OC aerial and next to the tail wheel, is a Hasegawa job, not me.  That's for the fuel jettison pipe.  I have only just realised that Hasegawa also provide shadow holes inside for weapon stations; the forward ones line up quite nicely with the Flightpath weapon carriers, but the aft ones are nowhere near, so I have left them undrilled for now.

Dry fit of inner white metal section:

30778661105_337d49dfd7_b.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The information that's on the net nowadays.

We would have been in the tower if we'd

spread it around years ago.

There are some corkers in that list.  I think I far prefer Blue Duck to Ikara, and shall try to refer to it as such in future (especially when I get around to building my Atlantic Models 1/350 Ikara Blue Duck Leander as HMS Dido, my first ship).

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

HMS Dido, my first ship).

Crikey.

I worked on her during her "second life" as HMNZS Southland. It was always perplexing why a single ship with Icara was purchased, which didn't seem to slot in with the rest of the fleet.

Speaking of Leanders. Presumably you have seen the photo of the USN Sea King on the flight deck?

• Like 1

HOORAH!

Bought!

As a wee girl growing up I was always amazed at the pitching of the Leander with the sea breaking across the bow during the opening credits.

There is no way I could have become a WREN  let alone go to sea. In fact a (rather short cos I PVR'd) tour on the Grimrod proved to me that going to sea is the refuge of very strange and mad people (despite the fact my GranDa commanded a fleet of Flower Class Corvettes during WWII).

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Ascoteer said:

There is no way I could have become a WREN  let alone go to sea. In fact a (rather short cos I PVR'd) tour on the Grimrod proved to me that going to sea is the refuge of very strange and mad people (despite the fact my GranDa commanded a fleet of Flower Class Corvettes during WWII).

It's a difficult job, but someone has to do it :P

• Like 1

Crisp, I've just come back to read the thread following an e-mail notification & I'm getting an audible & visual warning from my Avast AV which goes 'bonnng bonnng bonnng  ''Threat has been detected'' bonnng bonnng bonnng...!!' It's quite ironic, given that the malware is apparently embedded in the pic of the Lynx fitted with the Yellow Veil jammer which is in a run of posts about RWR's & stuff...!!

Spooky or what?!

Keith

• Like 1

Oh God, sorry; I just linked to an image on the interwebs showing a yellow veil cab.  If I've filled your machines up with Putin-esque malware, I beg pardon.  My computer is not showing any concern (though that might be because it runs on a sensible operating system...)

• Like 3

On 04/11/2016 at 8:47 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Surely no-one has yet been crazy enough to produce 1/48 butterfly nuts.  {I am going to regret saying that, I know!]

Bet you thought you snuck that post through unnoticed didn't you!

Ask and you shall receive...encouragement for more insanity that is :D

http://www.historexagents.com/shop/hxproductdetail.php?ProductCode=GRAN162

There are four different sizes in a pack, 1.5 mm, 2.5 mm, 3.5 mm and 4.5 mm across.

you get 12 each of the 1.5 and 2.5 mm ones and 9 each of the 3.5 and 4.5mm

Go on, you know you should :D

• Like 5

Oh bloody hell.  Yes, you just know I have done it.

I wonder if this system will work for other things?  Surely no-one has yet been crazy enough to produce a 1/32 Sea King or modern moulds of a 1/48 Scimitar or Barracuda...?

[Yes, I know about the toy 1/32-ish Sea King, before anyone posts a link!]

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Engineer66 said:

Ask and you shall receive...encouragement for more insanity that is :D

Don't encourage him, he is quite bonkers enough as it is!

Martian von Kettle Calling the Pot Black

• Like 4

Today's fun and games.  Having drilled all those holes, I started to set about plugging them again, but as I got up close & personal with the Optivisor on, as so often I saw the true state of the surface; not very pretty!   It's not surprising, since it has had approximately 50 transfers added to it (including some emergency cutting in place) since it was last seen with a pristine white primed gleam.  On the basis that one thing my lovely quilted Sea King will definitely NOT stand is a full-on Micromesh session (or even a half-arsed one), I decided to tackle the worst bits before I proceed any further.  This means that a few (& I mean a very few) rivets have gone to join the Great Rosie in the Sky, so the next job will be to replace them.  Worth it, though, because the worst of the surface gribblies (It's a technical term) have now been dealt with, and when I eventually do get to paint the aircraft will look a bit less as though it is made out of a crumpled tissue.

Important and time consuming, but not terribly photogenic; take my word for it.

However, that was earlier, and since then I have been a busy boy on other parts of the aircraft.  

First, the starboard engine bay door.  The SH-3 ECU doors have a slightly different configuration of vents and grilles to the Westland version (inevitably; nothing is ever simple!), and the majority of Hasegawa's moulds are for a Sikorsky aircraft; they added an extra sprue of Brit bits, but the ECU door was not among them.  

There are two grilles on the starboard door: a rectangular one at the rear, which is for fire fighting (so outlined in red), and a triangular, curved one at the front end which is for cooling.  The SH-3 has an additional square grille immediately behind the triangle, but not Westlands (presumably Gnomes are slightly different cooling-wise to T58s, despite being essentially the same engine).  

[824 NAS Mk.6 refuelling on board Invincible; she is probably at anchor, because they have given the pilot a silly wind even for fish-heads - note the ensign, which tells you he landed into wind, cross-deck].

30681287642_bcc5438c05_h.jpg

Here is the Hasegawa door, after I have drilled out the rectangular grille & made a start on the triangle.  Eduard do a nice PE grille for this, but their offering is substantially bigger than the Hasegawa moulded grille.  I actually think Eduard's is too big, but decided to go with it rather than trying to adapt it, because it will look better.  

30761419386_e44ba0be36_b.jpg

So out with my faithful and indispensable chisels:

30761418696_93577f41ca_b.jpg

...and off we go.  Better:

30761418336_6c9c9b839a_b.jpg

PE fitted:

30761417796_4e6e2f51b1_b.jpg

US grille plugged - to be sanded flush once completely dry in a day or two:

30681064232_b9f5d2031f_b.jpg

From a different angle, showing that the work to make the PE grille sit fairly flush with the aircraft skin has worked:

30761416516_1cd32f47e2_b.jpg

As you know, I have been adding bits of detail around the cockpit (with still a fair amount to come).  I have to stop somewhere, because nothing much will be visible beyond the initial stuff behind the pilots... but the Flightpath PE set includes a stunning rendition of the passenger door with its built-in steps, so I just had to build it.  It will be visible (-ish) behind the LH pilot seat - and if not, then you will know it is there!

Here is what the real one looks like:

30166591194_8b258f13ec_b.jpg

...and here is the Flightpath version leaning on a sponson, as built this afternoon by me while half-listening to the football.  (You are looking at it the opposite way up to above, but this it will be upside down in this model because the door will be closed).

30761416056_923b69541c_b.jpg

The other PE thing is the first of 2 blade aerials that go under the belly of the HAS 5 & 6 - they are aerials for receiving data from sonobuoys.

The only other thing I have done today is to give all the PE I have built thus far a good coat of Mr Metal Primer, which I find invaluable in getting paint to adhere properly to brass etc.  

I have a very busy couple of days coming up - alas, no fewer than 3 funerals this week, and we travel for the first of them tomorrow - so this is likely to be my last update for a couple of days.

More later in the week.

Crisp

• Like 12

30 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Three funerals? Sorry for your loss Crisp.

Ditto these comments Crisp Sir.

Handsome work on those grille and door/step components. 

Tony

A couple more pictures of the passenger door, simply because I am really pleased with it - the Flightpath design is superb.

This is what it looks like the right way up (the top step is missing because it is effectively a hinged extension of the cabin floor, but since this will be upside down it matters not):

30799932425_30d62fc4e4_b.jpg

And this is where it will end up:

30799932175_e7cf00aa38_b.jpg

• Like 11

On 04/11/2016 at 8:56 PM, Ascoteer said:

HMS Dido - one of the Leanders that played 'HMS Hero' in the BBC TV Series 'Warship'.

Oh how I wish the BBC would release that series on DVD

It's all there on YouTube Deb,I linked Bill to an episode t'other week for his Wasp.

• Like 2

That front door/steps assy is a work of art, should be on its own, stood on a plinth.

• Like 1

One of the reasons for watching 'Warship' was the fact that I lived in a Military houshold - anything about the Forces on TV and my Da would watch it.

Additionally one of his friends was a professional modelmaker who made the 1/96th scale warship models that you saw in the RN recruiting offices, so I learnt quite a bit about Leander Class Frigates at quite a young age!

• Like 2