ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

:(             :(

Dammit to heck

Now I am GOING TO HAVE TO put rivets on mine

I'd just about convinced mesen I'd get away with smooth skinned...

This looks very proper job Crisp

Nicely nicely

• Like 2

Very ncely done Crisp!

But I agree with Perdu, our 72nd ones are going to look naked without the things now! But I'm thinking that in the One True Scale, the amount that you've already applied might be enough to give the right effect...

Keith

• Like 1

I've just spent an enjoyable 30 minutes reading through your progress Crisp. Great work on recessing that etch - can I ask what chisel you'd recommend for such tasks?:whistle:

You may also be single-handedly responsible for a rivetting craze breaking-out across the forum - I know I'm watching your results with more than passing interest!:lol:

BTW. Your Barracuda thread is superb. I do hope you can find time to progress further with things....

Tony

Following your build as closely as I can (the technical jargon requires a bit of re-reading).  Over a period of 15 years I chalked up maybe 100 or so hours on SH-3 Sea Kings, as a passenger.  Occasionally one of yours would stop in for a visit:

RN%20Sea.jpg

Taken around 30 years ago.

Cheers,

Dennis

• Like 5

Dennis, that's a relatively rare beast - an HAS5 with MAD fitted.  That suggests that it's a bit more than 30 years ago; I started flying Sea Kings in 1986, and there were virtually no MAD-fitted aircraft around by then.  Nice shot, though.  824NAS, if you're interested.

8 hours ago, perdu said:

:(             :(

Dammit to heck

Now I am GOING TO HAVE TO put rivets on mine

I'd just about convinced mesen I'd get away with smooth skinned...

This looks very proper job Crisp

Nicely nicely

Way too late for mine then Billy,it's well smoove and rivetless(the Seaking that is,the Seaking.No fnarr-fnarr-ing at the back<_<)

Pretty smart thus far Crisp,those rivets do look good

Great picture is that Dennis.If Revell's 1/72nd HAS.5 wasn't so rare and now so expensive,I'd be tempted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Dennis, that's a relatively rare beast - an HAS5 with MAD fitted.  That suggests that it's a bit more than 30 years ago; I started flying Sea Kings in 1986, and there were virtually no MAD-fitted aircraft around by then.  Nice shot, though.  824NAS, if you're interested.

1 hour ago, Miggers said:

Way too late for mine then Billy,it's well smoove and rivetless(the Seaking that is,the Seaking.No fnarr-fnarr-ing at the back<_<)

Pretty smart thus far Crisp,those rivets do look good

Great picture is that Dennis.If Revell's 1/72nd HAS.5 wasn't so rare and now so expensive,I'd be tempted.

Date on slide is April 85, so a little over 31 years ago.  I'll have to look up the Revell kit.  I thought the new Airfix kit is a must have Sea King kit?

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/creating-sikorsky-sh-3d-from-new-airfix.html

Cheers,

Dennis

• Like 2

The new Airfix ki...:blink:,that's a crab air version,not a "proper" one.

Er,yes Dennis,I believe it is,but the Revell one has all the goodies to do a HAS.5(some say HAS.6)and a "Bagger" all in t'same box.

this blighter:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revells-Westland-Sea-King-Helicopter-Kit-1-72-scale-HAS-6-AEW-New-Sealed-Bags-/142159015253?hash=item2119566d55:g:Q-0AAOSwXeJYDg~x

Quite a good price for it actually,seen 'em go for lots more than that.

• Like 2

First things first; the rivet work continues.  It is necessarily a slow process, because you can only apply lines that overlap once the underlying row has completely dried and had its carrier film removed, which takes about 12 hours (to be on the safe side - I tried removing one too early this evening and promptly removed an entire line of rivets with it).  

This is a deliberately bad photo which shows the carrier films of many of the rows I have added today - these include my first single rows (on the cargo door); the rest so far are all doubles.

IMG_0260_zpshbewnoy9.jpg

They are building up nicely, but it's going to take a while.  So i have to find other things to do while I wait.

First up is some more work on Flightpath's most excellent weapon carrier.  This builds up using multiple PE layers, giving a 3D effect which will look great once painted.  As a reminder, the real thing looks like this:

DSC_4240_zpsavamcieh.jpg

Flightpath like this, with at least half a dozen pieces still to be fitted (that's a cocktail stick, so we are not talking large here):

IMG_0259_zpspkryh2yq.jpg

And just so Eduard fans don't think I am praising Flightpath's PE and not theirs, I am also very impressed with the precise fit of their lining to the undercarriage bays in the sponsons (one of the beauties of a helicopter build like this is that it can be very modular...):

IMG_0257_zpsaq0adkja.jpg

I am away in London tomorrow, so no more work until Thursday (though if I get time in the morning I will remove all those carrier films and post the results).  

Til then

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 10

coming along very nicely there.  I think you are right about the rivets though.

How do you plan on doing all those little stand-of brackets on the fuselage just behind the weapons carrier ?  ('cos you know you want to!)

• Like 2

I forsee little lengths of wine bottle foil smoothed, creased and trimmed to 'size' for the unused brackets

All knife work rather than using industrial quantities of etch and proper/other tooling

Wrap round the edge of a six inch rule both faces then cut to height-width-depth then show them tiny blobs of 560 cockpit glue which vanishes when dry and sticks like Miggers-oh

;)

The rows of rivets are very impressive can't wait to get HC4 ing

But will...

• Like 3

13 hours ago, perdu said:

I forsee little lengths of wine bottle foil smoothed, creased and trimmed to 'size' for the unused brackets

There might well not be any unused brackets;, depending on what weapon station configuration I eventually opt for - but one option is to go for the full monty, as in with weapon carrier and all weapon electrics rigged:

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-10%20at%2010.06.

• Like 7

Hoorah Crisp, great job particularly with the riveting. Having spent a LOT of time applying the Archer johnnies to the big Buccaneer I can appreciate the effort put in. The carrier film business can be an issue, (in the case of the Archers I used Klear to attach and level the blighters off, once the primer was on everything worked as advertised, the film all but gone. Also agree about recessing PE parts, not as difficult as it sounds and well worth the effort...admittedly easier on larger scales. Wonderfully informative thread, keep at it.....

• Like 1

Sorry if you have come here expecting more Sea King, but I am going to hijack my own thread here.  I found this photo this morning (in a long out of print early-80s book about helicopter SAR by John Chartres), and it is possibly the most bonkers thing I have ever seen involving a helicopter.

IMG_0261_zpspiunn6pr.jpg

Yes, you are seeing it right; that is a Whirlwind towing a Ton Class minehunter.  (With a Hiller in the background).  And, though the bow wave is small, there does seem to be one - so it's working!

Given that no sane pilot likes his aircraft to be tied onto anything, we can only hope there was some sort of weak link arrangement...

The picture is in the book to illustrate the process whereby helicopters sometimes pass a tow line from one ship to another in emergency.  True, but that's most definitely not what is taking place here; this is some sort of "let's give it a go and see what happens" lunacy.

Utterly, utterly insane.

But what a brilliant photo!

More tomorrow (though Photbucket seems to be playing very badly indeed today, so maybe not...)

Crisp

• Like 11

You know what?

I can see a movie with Bogie driving that Whirlwind desperately hoping to get them away from some 'orrid terrorist types

His girl had been rescued then the Ton had donkey fail

Er did I say Bogie, my mistook, Tom (Reacher) Cruise...

Madness reigned in that Navy didn't it...

Edited by perdu
  • Like 3

:rofl:! Too bad that I am out o' likes again :(. What a great photo, Crisp! Thank you very much for sharing it! I wouldn't have believed it had I been told about it and not seen the evidence: and even then, I'm not too sure ;). No, that does look aufennick.

Cheers,

Alex :sheep:

I may have run out o' 'likes', but I haven't run out o' 'sheep'...

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

IMG_0261_zpspiunn6pr.jpg

Looks suspiciously like a HIFR (helo in flight refuel) gone wrong. Someone forgot to disconnect the fuel hose and they've flown off and not noticed, pilots wondering how they managed to take on 13 tonnes of fuel! It can happen, I saw an old bloke do it once in the gas station!

• Like 4