ZE419, a Sea King HAS5 that (temporarily) forgot how to fly

Thought it might be worth giving you a swift update. The process of filling Hasegawa's dents is ongoing, and really not worth boring you with any more photographs. However, it's time I showed you where we are going.

This is the starboard side of the tail pylon. It is now finished, but I have chosen this picture because it illustrates the process better.

83F484BD-B34F-489D-8944-D990D4259BE7_zps

Applying these HGW rivets is a bit of a knack, but once you have it the results are most pleasing; they are significantly more subtle than Archers (which are, after all, designed mainly for railway rolling stock). The sampler set I have thus far (with fresh stocks being rushed to me as we speak) has rivets in double lines (visible in the lower-most row as we look) and single lines. The top line with the paper still on it shows how they work; you cut them to size like any decal, put them in water for not very long - 10 second max - and apply them as normal, but with this protective film still attached. You then add Microsol (soaking the paper as well as the decal beneath) and then leave everything alone for a couple of hours until it is completely dry. That's when the magic happens, because carefully peeling away the protective paper also removes the carrier film, leaving just the rivets in place.

Once they are all done I suspect some primer would be a good idea PDQ, because I bet they are pretty fragile until sealed in place.

None the less, I am really happy with these. I don't want my Sea King to look like a Victorian boiler, but equally to look right it needs that "quilted" rivet effect.

Doing the entire fuselage is going to take a fair time, but I think the end result could be really good.

So watch this space!

More soon

Crisp

P.S. This might be useful, too: left to right, my HGW tail pylon, a row of Archers' N gauge rivets for comparison purposes, and an as-yet untreated Hasegawa tail pylon,

E69A1C44-B114-4388-944D-15670B0397BA_zps

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 14

Bill, HGW do rivets in 1/72 scale ( http://hgwmodels.cz/en/30-172-scale ) and also other scales. They also come in sets for some aircraft

Crisp, those rivets look suitably subtle and eminently more suitable than the Archer rivets. - I think you made the right choice there. Of course it will take a certain adroitness with the airbrush so that they are not obliterated under a heavy coat of primer but I think you're well on the road to success there.

• Like 2

Yes, I should have said that these are HGW's 1/48 rivets, so if they do them in 1/72 too....

You know you want to, Bill!

I should also add that I still envisage using some Archers rivets in this build; there are places on the real aircraft where a few rivets are noticeably more prominent than the average - e.g. round the windscreen, and some of the (IIRC) electrical bonding connections across panel joins (e.g. on the tail). But my "standard" rivet will be HGW

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

I've got some of HGWs 'silver' 1/72 rivets - which I got ages ago with half a mind on the rear end of my Hawks:

b4f52bd1892b94d40c162689891574a2_zpssfd6

I haven't tried them yet - and I don't actually think they're the correct ones anyways. I think it's the 'positive' rivets that give the dome headed effect. Is that right Crisp?

I like the effect you're getting with those rivets very much :)

Hannants do the range I think.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2

OK I caved in

Airfix's HC4 is lovely but is in dire need of the rivets the old knacker had a'plenty

I will deliver a verdict

If I ever build the darned model...

And now the larch, oops I mean Crisp's HAS5

edited acos I forgot to apostrophate...

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

I've got some of HGWs 'silver' 1/72 rivets - which I got ages ago with half a mind on the rear end of my Hawks:b4f52bd1892b94d40c162689891574a2_zpssfd6

I haven't tried them yet - and I don't actually think they're the correct ones anyways. I think it's the 'positive' rivets that give the dome headed effect. Is that right Crisp?

I like the effect you're getting with those rivets very much :)

Hannants do the range I think.

The "test" sheet I've been using thus far is a smaller 1/48 version of your 'silver' sheet; it was a sampler which I got at some show (Yeovilton, I think) just after these were released. I'd seen a rave review of one of the HGW aircraft-specific sets (an FW190) a few days before, so thought I'd try them - I actually had in mind the Airfix Lynx, which is not as under-riveted as the Hasegawa Sea King, but still needs work.

When I got home I stuck them in my goodies drawer and promptly forgot all about them... until Hendie mentioned them a week or so ago.

The sampler was small - I have used almost all of it - but it did the job. Convinced me, anyway!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:

More rivets than a lake full of mating frogs....

By the time he has finished I suspect Crisp will be wishing he had opted for wrestling with a lake of mating frogs instead!

Martin

• Like 1

Went off to Yeovilton yesterday, as planned, to take a look at the Reserve Collection in Cobham Hall.  Some fascinating stuff - Blackburn NA39, Supermarine 510 etc.  I also took the opportunity to take a LOT of photos of the two Mk5 Sea Kings they have.  One is in the main museum, and is a bit of an oddball.  It purports to be a SAR cab, and it is painted half in 771 colours and half in HAR3 yellow.  It was acquired in this odd scheme from the RNLI, but was never actually a SAR cab at all; it is XV663, and still has its sonar proudly inside.  It was, however, one of the two aircraft that, as HAS2s, took part in the Sir Galahad rescue, which is why the Museum decided it was historic enough to take on charge as a second Mk5.  You can also go inside it, which means I have lots of photos like this:

DSC_4099_zpshkd8rwbg.jpg

XZ574, which is a Mk5 that is not pretending to be anything else, is now in the Reserve Collection, and for my purposes this was even better because I was able to get photos that would have attracted the attention of the staff otherwise!

DSC_4291_zpscx3uxf7a.jpg

DSC_4336_zpstfo38duc.jpg

The second one, in case you were wondering, is what is looks like when you get up close and personal with the sonar body (the oblong thing in the middle) and the snub ring (the orange thing round the edge) from underneath!

I also took far more photos of rivets than are strictly rational.

While I was photographing XV663 one of the volunteers came up and chatted - when I told him what I was doing he said "There's a website called Britmodeller where some bloke is doing a complete re-rivet".  I didn't have the heart to tell him...  (though to be fair he didn't use the word "nutter" once).

More soon!

Crisp

• Like 16

Went off to Yeovilton yesterday, as planned, to take a look at the Reserve Collection in Cobham Hall.  Some fascinating stuff - Blackburn NA39, Supermarine 510 etc.  I also took the opportunity to take a LOT of photos of the two Mk5 Sea Kings they have.  One is in the main museum, and is a bit of an oddball.  It purports to be a SAR cab, and it is painted half in 771 colours and half in HAR3 yellow.  It was acquired in this odd scheme from the RNLI, but was never actually a SAR cab at all; it is XV663, and still has its sonar proudly inside.  It was, however, one of the two aircraft that, as HAS2s, took part in the Sir Galahad rescue, which is why the Museum decided it was historic enough to take on charge as a second Mk5.  You can also go inside it, which means I have lots of photos like this:

DSC_4099_zpshkd8rwbg.jpg

XZ574, which is a Mk5 that is not pretending to be anything else, is now in the Reserve Collection, and for my purposes this was even better because I was able to get photos that would have attracted the attention of the staff otherwise!

DSC_4291_zpscx3uxf7a.jpg

DSC_4336_zpstfo38duc.jpg

The second one, in case you were wondering, is what is looks like when you get up close and personal with the sonar body (the oblong thing in the middle) and the snub ring (the orange thing round the edge) from underneath!

I also took far more photos of rivets than are strictly rational.

While I was photographing XV663 one of the volunteers came up and chatted - when I told him what I was doing he said "There's a website called Britmodeller where some bloke is doing a complete re-rivet".  I didn't have the heart to tell him...  (though to be fair he didn't use the word "nutter" once).

More soon!

Crisp

• Like 2

Good job there wasn't any leggy ladies knocking about Crisp,wouldn't have wanted you to be accused of

attempting to take any dubious shots with said legs therein..................

As to the volunteer attempting to (unknowingly)besmirch your hard endeavours,you ought to have replied with

"Oh yes,I know him,Steve Friday,he's an ex-RAF type"

Scmpering off to a dark corner now before said ex-raf bod comes along..................

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Miggers said:

Good job there wasn't any leggy ladies knocking about Crisp,wouldn't have wanted you to be accused of

attempting to take any dubious shots with said legs therein..................

As to the volunteer attempting to (unknowingly)besmirch your hard endeavours,you ought to have replied with

"Oh yes,I know him,Steve Friday,he's an ex-RAF type"

Scmpering off to a dark corner now before said ex-raf bod comes along..................

Blast!  Why didn't I think of that?  "Bit of an odd-ball; the sort that jumps out of Jaguars.  Never flown rotary-wing, if you can credit that.  Watch him..."

• Like 4

Actually, in view of our previous discussions of MAD, XV663 might even have been a MK6 rather than a Mk5.  Amongst other things, they have removed the rear wall of the cabin so you can see down the tail.  Is that a MAD detector I see before me, the handle toward my hand? Note too the locator beacon (the red thing at the bottom of the picture); the gizmo that allowed the divers to find the wreckage if you ditched.

(Sorry about reflection; there is perspex to stop people from getting too interactive!)  

DSC_3995_zpsbfdjxerx.jpg 

Sorry about double post earlier, too; still getting to grips with the new software.

• Like 5

Some great shots there Crisp. Thanks for sharing. I never knew about the reserve collection being open like that until you mentioned it! 

BTW. Any idea what Mk. that Whirlwind behind the Flycatcher is?