Airfix Lightning, 1/72

hi all,

Here's my latest creation, the Airfix 1/72 Lightning, built straight from the box for a commission.

As a kit it was not that special as i found it hard to finish, partly because i have no real interest in the subject (not the kit's fault!) and partly because it just didn't seem to go together smoothly. The decals were a bit thick in that they wouldn't settle into the panel lines even using Daco strong. I ended up using a hairdryer to warm them and all was well. The final touch was a Flory models wash which was something new for me and something i will be doing in the future too.

Anyway, hope you like it

Andy

Lightning-1_zpslmeq0apf.jpg

Lightning-2_zpsw3gemimh.jpg

Lightning-3_zpsceksaglr.jpg

Lightning-4_zpswfuj1l6t.jpg

• Like 32

Nice work Andy, one thing that bugs me about this kit is the airbrakes, they sink in. The reason I haven't finished mine as I'm trying to blend them in as much as possible, they looked fine until I glued them in!

don't know how anyone can not like lightnings, must be a weirdo

Quote of the day...

Radleigh, on 18 Aug 2016 - 2:40 PM, said:

Nice work Andy, one thing that bugs me about this kit is the airbrakes, they sink in. The reason I haven't finished mine as I'm trying to blend them in as much as possible, they looked fine until I glued them in!

I padded mine out with a blob of blu-tac and then used Tamiya green to glue the edges for a spot on fit.

Great build Andy.

• Like 1

I padded mine out with a blob of blu-tac and then used Tamiya green to glue the edges for a spot on fit.

Great build Andy.

I did the same but they still weren't quite right. Very annoying!

Andy

Nice work ... and top tip ref the airbrakes!

What did you use for the NMF?

Hi Vultures1,

I started with Alclad black with grey panels (to give reflective contrast) followed by a coat of aluminum. That worked but in later doing some of the smaller panels i managed to knock my compressor off the table and in the process spill paint all over one wing. I did say the kit was a bit of a chore didn't i. So i went with Vallejo but didn't get the same change of tone as it is thicker than Alclad, so off it all came and i went back to plan one.

The simple answer is alclad!

I seem to be getting hate mail about not liking Lightnings :-) I don't dislike them and they were very impressive in their day, but as a modelling subject i prefer modern Japanese stuff, There. that's settled now

Andy

Edited by Red Dot

You must have met Andy then Stu!

Nice job Andy, I suppose it does have "red dots" on it, they're just smaller and in the middle of white and blue ones.

Well done mate.

you haven't seen it up close!

Hello there,

I am always tempted to buy the Airfix Lightning but only until now I resisted to the temptation.

My gf asked me when I checked first the sprue shots that I will NOT buy the kit...it was back in 2011.

At that time I had

1 Revell (finished)

1 Matchbox (finished)

and

1 more Revell

2 more Trumpeters in the stash

plus I was waiting for the two-seater from Sword.

I DO LOVE LIGHTNINGS.

Regards;Laz

Nice - can I ask what the blue paint you used was?

hi savenosouls,

it was Vallejo insignia blue but that looked a bit bright, so i just added a bit of black and gave it a stir. Apparently, it should be RAF roundel Blue according to the club experts!

thanks

Andy

Nice work, Andy and you did a fine job on the nose ring, considering you used Bare Metal foil in one long strip! Nerve-wracking or what?

At least no KitKats were harmed in the process...

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,

it was a bit nerve wracking as you say, but i just cut a very large semi circle of foil and centred it at the top, then burnished it slowly round the sides, without wrinkles. A new scapel blade finished it off first time, but i did have to force myself not to fiddle with it to try to "improve" things. Better to just walk away!

Andy

Great build Andy. Lovely chrome nose ring. I used Alclad chrome for mine, not nearly as good as your bare metal foil............

DSC_1971_zpsh9po6qde.jpg

Now for the F.6!

John

That's nice John. I have never done the chrome thing before and was a little unsure, but it really wasn't that hard (like most things). Worth a go on something else in the future

Andy

Lovely job...except for one thing...port fin flash is upside down (blue forward instead of red)...so is John's...

Ian

Edited by limeypilot