Going too far?

Badder

I'm all for hyper-realism in modelling, for those who wish to get in as much detail as possible. There are some things that are missing from models, or are portrayed poorly and need adding or replacing.

However, some people go too far.. like those who recreate an entire engine with all the wiring etc, only then to seal it in under an engine cover and hide it from view permanently.

However, today I came across the most extreme case of 'going too far' I've ever seen.

Some guy is building a 1/16th tank and hyper-detailing it. He is now adding casting numbers, each digit/letter individually placed, 10 per track link (I assume just those links where the letters/numbers will be visible, however, he might do the whole lot)

Even if he only transfers letters/numbers to those links that are visible (including spare tracks on the hull and turret placed as extra armour) he's looking at HUNDREDS of tiny decals to apply. (The numbers/letters must be about 1mm in size and come as extra thick decals which are designed specifically for this job)

Am I the only one who thinks he's crazy?

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

Could this be a case of "If it makes him happy, why not?"

Personally, I believe life is way too short for this kind of detailing, but if the person involved enjoys the process, then I would have to say let him get on with it....

Making models is a very personal hobby and I think it should be enjoyed at a personal level.

The one thing I have never got in this hobby is "modelling snobbery". Why does anyone think they have the right to criticize others, just because the other person glues and paints differently-shaped bits of plastic to the person making the criticism? This question is NOT a reference to the original poster, BTW. It's a much more general subject than the OP brought up.

What does anyone else think?

Chris.

• Like 5

My personal opinion; there is no such thing as to far when it comes to detailing. Only the individual building the model gets to make the call of enough is enough. I've seen many models built by others where I have thought that they could have improved some more details, or that they have gone way beyond, but that is just my opinion, and as they aren't my models, it isn't my call to say you could have done more or you've done way to much.

We are at the end of the day building a replica of an actual vehicle (for the most part), be it car, tank or plane. And as such, for myself, I build and detail it to the best of my abilities and as accurate as I can and I have reliable references for.

Built to your own level of satisfaction, and not to the praise or condemnation of others.

......end thought transmission.......

• Like 1

It's only too far if it drives you to madness. :lol:

I doubt I would ever (never say never ;) ) take a model to those extremes. I don't have the patience for it. If that is what he enjoys doing...then more power to him. Hell, I don't like a lot of the full stencil decals on a lot of 1/48 aircraft...to me a lot of them leave the model looking cluttered, detracting the eye from the overall picture. I tend to feel similar for bold panel lines. But those are strictly my opinions, and would not expect (nor would want) anyone feel that they should change the way they build. Sometimes I wonder why I spend as much time as I do on a cockpit...just to build with the canopies closed. Ultimately, I know it's there and that's all that matters to me.

It's all about finding your style, and I'm still feeling my way towards mine. This hobby is afterall a form of art. :cheers:

• Like 1

Considered and fair responses all round, so far. I agree with all of your comments.

Modelling is all about the modeller attaining a level which the modeller is happy with. (At that time in their learning curve) However, no modeller can be truly 100 percent happy with what they have produced, either most recently, or more so in the past. We all improve with time and practice. However 'unhappy' we are with our latest, oldest creations, 99 percent of the 'audience' may think our work superb, perfect, extraordinary. They may think it's a pile of rubbish. Praise is surely something that the modeller welcomes, but so is criticism... sometimes we overlook things, or fail to see an easier/better way to achieve a goals and positive criticism, tips and suggestions help us improve to levels previously only dreamed of.

With regards to my original statement, I am not actually criticising the modeller in question, I just query where the boundary is. At what point does one overstep the mark and 'go too far', because surely there HAS to be a boundary for each scale of modelling.

Badder

Edited by Badder

Hmmm...that is a tricky one... :hmmm:

I would never spend that much time on superdetailing, but - as a friend said to me - it's the journey that is the fun part! :winkgrin:

When a model is finished it's just that - finished - so why not get as much fun out of it, while you're at it? :coolio:

Me? I don't bother with that kind of detailing, but he obviously likes it! :)

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

I can see how easy it is to get carried away. I started out on my 1/16 KT in a similar vein as the person you mention, adding lots of small details that most people will not even notice or will be impossible to see on the finished model. Eventually I gave up on that and started only detailing parts that can be seen, otherwise I doubt it I would ever finish it.

I think it’s a very personal thing when it comes to super detailing. I’m at a point where I can’t build anything oob anymore. I always seem to add or correct something but that’s just my personal preference. The chap you mention is maybe thinking that once the model is complete, he will know that it is as close to the real thing as possible. Nothing wrong with that, although adding individual casting marks to each track link sounds like self imposed torture to me!

One other thing I sometimes consider is the cost per hour for each model. If I spend time scratch building parts, adding weld seams etc, the model takes much longer to complete. I feel I get a better detailed model and better value for money that way. Not sure if it’s not just me trying to justify the expense though!

• Like 1