Albacore/Swordfish color scheme November 1942

Geoff King

Question regarding color(or colour!) scheme of the Albacore during Operation Torch in November 1942. Looking at the DP Casper decal sheet 48007 it shows both the Albacore and Swordfish having the Dark Slate Grey/Extra Dark Sea Grey uppers, but also shows the upper surface of the lower wings to be Light Slate Grey/Dark Sea Grey.

Was this standard practice or just typical of that operation? I cannot find any confirmation of this in my references and have not seen this before, so I tend to doubt the color call outs. Any thoughts or ideas, or point me in the general direction and give me a push?!

Thanks much and apologies if this has been discussed already!

Geoff

Hi Geoff

no doubt someone who knows more than me (most people on this forum!) will come along shortly with a nice full, clear answer but my tuppence worth is that both of these aircraft have shadow shading on their lower wings. Because the lower wing is mainly underneath the upper wing if it was painted in the same colours as the upper one it would appear much darker. Most WWII biplanes have shadow shading, not just FAA ones. This thread has some good information on the topic.

Cheers

DC

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm not sure but I think the shadow shading of the lower plane was discontinued in Sep 1940, so airframes painted/repainted after that date would have been EDSG/SG/Sky (Sky being introduced about the same time). Having said that I have seen pictures on aircraft with Sky Grey undersides through into 1941.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me can set you straight for the 1942 campaign..