Eduard 1/72 A-5 Graf Finished

Morning All. While waiting for decals to finish my Hasegawa A-5 I thought I'd start another this time the Eduard 1/72 A-5. Here are the usual box and plastic pics.

20160813_162418_zpsjhnsg0qs.jpg

20160813_162516_zpssigphhih.jpg

20160813_162458_zpsipchxxro.jpg

Although the subject matter is the same there is a world of difference between the Eduard and Hasegawa kits. The Hasegawa is a simple stress free kit and the Eduard isn't,well for me anyway. The Profipack gives you a lot of etch parts to enhance the detail and I have now decided that photo-etch and me are not compatible. Try as I could I cannot get to grips with this teeny stuff. I gave up on the seatbelts and used eduard superfarbric ones. I managed to fit the lower instrument panel and the side consoles without to much bother but for the upper one I used the plastic alternative. So after a few hours of straining and swearing and eventual defeat with the etch I ended up with this.

20160818_001014_zpspnz7an8s.jpg

20160818_001928_zpsk6txffod.jpg

Despite my ineptitude with the etch this kit goes together really well and I should move on quicker getting the wings and fuselage together this morning.

Cheers Allan

• Like 2

Well here I am 2hours later wings and things on just need to tidy up some joins but it all goes together very nicely. Anyways here the result.

Cheers Allan

20160818_115601_zpsjvivvdww.jpg

20160818_115615_zps3qhjvtk2.jpg

• Like 2

that looks good. Disregarding the PE, these 1/72 kits from Eduard look quite good. Is the engineering simple?

This is the only eduard kit I've built so I can only speak of how I found this one. It is more complicated than most 1/72 kits but if you take your time and dry fit and adjust before gluing it all comes together well.

Cheers Allan

Regards,

Great progress for a couple of days - it takes me over a month just to do the cockpit :weep:

What is your problem dealing with PE? Cutting, bending gluing?

Keep it up. Cheers, Peter.

Thanks for the input Peter. I my problem with PE is due to lack of practice with it. The few times I've used it I've struggled with the bending and gluing and placement of the parts on the model. Some of the parts for me are too small to be usable so I don't bother and try to use bits that are bigger and will be noticable on the finished model like seatbelts and instrument panels. Seatbelts I find really frustrating as I can't get them to sit the way they should but I think if I persevere I would get the hang of it. I really would like to be able to use them as they make such a difference to the model.

Cheers Allan

Allan,

I feel your pain....PE can be the most frustrating and yet rewarding piece of AM. If I may offer, practice, practice, practice! Probably the most important aspect after practice is proper PE tools. There are lots out there and some work better than others, but a good pair of needle nose tweezers, good light and magnification are a must (particularly in 72). I will try to post a photo later of my tools and hopefully explain better.

Pre painted PE belts are a world to them selves and are very prone to peeling paint and the floating belt effect. I actually avoid them if I can, preferring resin seats with belts or the newer material (RB, HGW) as I mainly work in 48 and 32. The old home made tape or foil belts are even preferable in 1/72 IMHO.

As far as attaching PE, again there are many ways. One of the most successful I have found is our old friend "Future". For instrument panels and any piece that does not have to bear any form of load, a dab of Future will allow the piece to stick and set in position as it dries. It will come off easily if placed under load but works well and will not mar the finish. Their is obviously CA where a little means a lot or Gators Grip adhesive in both normal and thin formula.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

• Like 1

Thanks for the input Peter. I my problem with PE is due to lack of practice with it. The few times I've used it I've struggled with the bending and gluing and placement of the parts on the model. Some of the parts for me are too small to be usable so I don't bother and try to use bits that are bigger and will be noticable on the finished model like seatbelts and instrument panels. Seatbelts I find really frustrating as I can't get them to sit the way they should but I think if I persevere I would get the hang of it. I really would like to be able to use them as they make such a difference to the model.

Cheers Allan

Kahuna is spot on in regards to tools and practice as much as you can. I just completed the Eduard pit earlier today and you can see the outcome here.

I do most of the bending with tweezers and as I used all the stuff today, I took a picture of them.

Fw-07b.jpg

The Tamiya diamond file is great for tidying up the parts after removing them from the fret. I use a scalpel for this. As already mentioned, tweezers work well for bending small parts and the white pencil is slightly sticky to pick up parts. I originally used thin CA glue to attach the parts, but I found it either gripped too quick or not at all. The loctite CA glue on the other hand is not as thin, but works well by adding a tiny bit first and then place the PE part next. I sometimes then still add some thin glue for a better bond. To add glue at the appropriate place is a bit of a challenge too - the stuff goes everywhere else instead :confused:

For me, a piece of thin wire or part of a stretched sprue works best. Toothpicks are handy to move parts in place.

But best is to experiment yourself and with time and practice, you will work out a routine which works for you.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

Thanks Peter and Kahunaminor for your advice. As you say practice makes perfect so I will keep on trying.

Cheers Allan

Mate,

Peter has nailed it. Everything there is pretty much the same I use.

3AC9C10D-4817-41E9-8ABD-34B2525BAA68_zps

The exceptions are the Mission Models Etchmate 3C in lieu of the RB FlipR (which I also have but not proficient with). I also have a set of Xuron PE shears and the black base/cover which I cannot recall the name of but means less parts launching themselves into space. I also avoid handling the PE with my fingers until I have applied a coat of Metal Primer to avoid oily finger marks.

Regards mate,

• 5 weeks later...

Evening all. Finally made some progress with this. Now at the decaling stage but here a couple of photos prior to this. 

Cheers Allan

20160920_000037_zpsqqypjuox.jpg20160920_000101_zpstfcihyzy.jpg

• Like 7

Evening all. Decal disaster to start as the Eduard decals appear not to like hot water as the red tulip decal shriveled up beyond repair. Plan b was to use  superscale decals which went on well but were unevenly spaced I don't know if I messed up but they had to come off. Plan c was to use an old set of Hasegawa decals which went on with out to much fuss thankfully. Anyways here is a pic.

Cheers Allan20160924_223412_zpscyp7zyms.jpg

• Like 3

Evening all. Decaling almost finished and I'm quite pleased with how it is coming on. with a bit of luck I might get it finished this week.

Cheers Allan

20160928_234329.jpg

20160928_234329.jpg

Edited by almac
  • Like 7

Evening all. Small update tonight. Almost done. Vallejo matt varnish on and canopy mask off with no problems. Other bits and bobs almost done. I resisted the urge to try and finish it tonight, too tired so mistakes were likely. Will finish it at the weekend.

Cheers Allan20161004_225317.jpg 

• Like 6

She's got legs..... albeit kind of wobbly ones. Not the most positive of fitting for the undercarriage legs on the Eduard kit but they are on. Small bits to finish now probably Saturday. 

Cheers Allan

20161006_223922.jpg

• Like 5

Evening all. Calling this finished now. All the fiddly bits done tonight. I will take pictures for the gallery in the daylight.

Thank you and goodnight

20161008_231510.jpg

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

That turned out superbly Allan! I really love the colours! Very well done. :clap2::clap2:

Thanks Plastix. Bit of a delay with the final pictures as I broke the pitot. Will have to drill out the hole and paint another one. Should  get that done tomorrow .

Cheers Allan 

• Like 1

Afternoon all. Finally calling this one finished. I enjoyed building this one which went together really well. Thanks for everyone's comments. Hope to catch up with you all in the P-51GB . Pictures in the gallery soon.

Cheers Allan

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...