Monogram 1/48 Convair F-102A Delta Dagger (Refresh)

Finally finished, this is a 'refresh' of the Monogram 1/48 Convair F-102A Delta Dagger. This is the original kit released in 1990 and has the Case XX wing, being a fan of the Convair Deltas I would have built this soon after I purchased it so it has been around for at least 20 years. I did post this in KUTA VIII earlier this year but didn't finish. So, on to the photos:

IMGP2188size_zpsxpc4oznq.jpg

Not too upset with the result however a few parts are missing; the nose probe, the IR sensor, one of the Falcon missiles and the rocket tube fairings on the missile bay doors. All the major parts of the aircraft were stripped back using Fairy Power Spray, given a dusting of Halfords grey primer, then mostly airbrushed with Model Master 1731 Aircraft (ADC) Gray. Almost all other colours were brushed using Vallejo paints.

IMGP2185size_zpsvj8ziamy.jpg

She is marked as the 496th FIS Commander's aircraft based at Hahn in FRG in 1961. Basic stencils and markings from a very old Superscale F-102 'Complete Stencil Data' and the unit markings from the 2002 rebox. All decals went on really well however I don't think that the black/yellow band on the nose is the correct way round! The whole thing was sealed with a coat of Humbrol satin varnish.

IMGP2175size_zpsrsqexiyd.jpg

The end result is better than I expected. The model is huge and shows how large the Delta Dagger was!

IMGP2180size_zpswmot2wje.jpg

The AIM-4D Falcon missiles are the originals, one was lost during the build so the centre forward pylon is empty.

IMGP2177size_zpso1m0c6ah.jpg

IMGP2179size_zpsiiknd43q.jpg

Michael

• Like 12

Fantastic !!!

Your F-102 looks very impressive and very aggressive !!!

I think you should improvise a nose probe perhaps with a metallic tube,

or a piece of stretched sprue.

What do you think ?

I think your Delta Dagger would look better with a very pointy nose.

You did a great job.

When I think about; the Delta Dagger is almost as old as I am. (I was born in 1951!)

• Like 1

Fantastic !!!

Your F-102 looks very impressive and very aggressive !!!

I think you should improvise a nose probe perhaps with a metallic tube,

or a piece of stretched sprue.

What do you think ?

I think your Delta Dagger would look better with a very pointy nose.

You did a great job.

When I think about; the Delta Dagger is almost as old as I am. (I was born in 1951!)

It would look better with a pointy nose, I have to admit you are right, however it might not fit in the display cabinet!

Will give it a try tomorrow :thumbsup2:

Michael

Hello,Michael -My compliments to you on a fine looking build of yout 'Delta Dagger'.By coincidence,I have a WIP on exactly the same kit and scheme.I replaced the kit pitot probe with an appropriate size sewing needle ( as I do with all my models).They look realistic enough for my liking and are far more robust.Yes indeed,she is a big jet and when completed I hope to photograph her alongside my 'Voodoo' as a comparison. ;) All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Hello,Michael -My compliments to you on a fine looking build of your 'Delta Dagger'.By coincidence,I have a WIP on exactly the same kit and scheme.I replaced the kit pitot probe with an appropriate size sewing needle ( as I do with all my models).They look realistic enough for my liking and are far more robust.Yes indeed,she is a big jet and when completed I hope to photograph her alongside my 'Voodoo' as a comparison. ;) All the best,Paul.

Paul, I must confess that I have been following your WIP with much interest and I think your building from the start will give you a considerable edge in quality as well. A comparison with the Voodoo should be interesting, will show how long the Voodoo was and the very small wings she had.

Michael

• Like 1

Paul, I must confess that I have been following your WIP with much interest and I think your building from the start will give you a considerable edge in quality as well. A comparison with the Voodoo should be interesting, will show how long the Voodoo was and the very small wings she had.

Michael

Thank you so much,Michael.You have a fine model there and I've still a long way to go! The scheme does suit the type well.I've yet to see this type in real life but can easily imagine how impressive it would be.One thought for you.I've built my version with the weapons bay closed.If you wish,I'll gladly send you the missiles so you can replace your missing item.I won't be using them for anything else and it would be a pleasure to help you with them. ;) All the best,Paul.
  • Like 1

Ah, the memories.... this was the very first jet I fell in love with. Fresno Air National Guard flew F-102 Delta Daggers (and later F-106 Delta Darts). Great Build, nice work!

SPGhost

• Like 1