Coming together nicely.

Quick query, is the glass nose included in the Italeri gunship kit? I've been looking for a glass nose Mitchel recently, but they all seem to be either the old airfix kit, or Hase/revel going for silly prices.

Edited by bull-nut
  • Like 1

It does indeed have everything you need for the glass and solid nose version bull nut, not a bad kit, better than airfix but obviously not as good as Hase.

tony, cookie, yes she wants to do the invasion striped option from the box.... The one she drew was off a pic on my phone, she was very specific about which one she wanted to draw, it's the engine cowls that get me she really nailed them.

Rob 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been away to France for a wedding a brought back an ear infection for both my ears, also I promised the kids (my kids that is.... Not like my promise to the children of the world) that I would help them build a kit for school as they are (finally) looking at wwii.

The girl (6) selected my new tool airfix beaufighter Her 'second bestest plane behind the spitfire of course'... A fine choice and I am obviously delighted that I don't get to build it myself.... The boy (4) picked the airfix catalina as it 'LOOKS LIKE A PENGUIN!' (?) he's obsessed with penguins....

Anyway in amongst this I have done some work on the b's 25 & 26. they have been primed, 26 then got a good micromesh in places as it shows up my poor work and inability to spray.... The 25 got primed, and this brought to light the fact I had done no work at all on the seams... Any of them, they have now been sanded and micromeshed! 

Photos as as soon as I can but probably tomorrow night! 

Aim to to get the Boston sealed and primed then break from these to start my spitfires... I think

Rob

Edited by rob85
I felt it needed more paragraphs...
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, rob85 said:

The boy (4) picked the airfix catalina as it 'LOOKS LIKE A PENGUIN!' (?) he's obsessed with penguins....

I don't know why this delights me so much, but it does.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I don't know why this delights me so much, but it does.

It made me chuckle mr p. So far he has amassed an army for 12 penguin teddies all in different shapes and sizes... He also demanded a penguin 'onesie' so he sleeps dressed as a penguin amongst his brethren.... It's a very endearing feature

Rob

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rob85 said:

The boy (4) picked the airfix catalina

Rats. I was hoping to watch you WiP this so I could pick up some tips for mine... are you taking photos?

• Like 1

It's warped and nothing stays together without clamping and time.... Sorry Ced!

i think the molds are just shot now, some bit (engines, props, central wing, control surfaces main body) had so much flash I thought I was carving it rather than building it! 

Also I doubt you would have learned much from the work of a 4 year old.... Or my son... :) 

i will pop pictures on, he splashed some tamiya bright gloss blue on (himself and some on) the main plane so it's not pretty! Lol

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks Rob :)

Sounds awful. I've just got mine out (fnaar fnaar) to check and, apart from one crew member, there's not much flash or warpage so I got lucky! Saving it for the floatplane GB, obviously.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Thanks Rob :)

Sounds awful. I've just got mine out (fnaar fnaar) to check and, apart from one crew member, there's not much flash or warpage so I got lucky! Saving it for the floatplane GB, obviously.

A cracking idea Ced! I may have to re invest for the GB, very much looking forward to it so hope it goes through!

Rob 

• Like 1

Hi Rob. Sorry to hear about the ear infections. A colleague at work has had an infection in one ear for a few weeks now and he's really suffering. Hope yours isn't too bad.

Your children's projects sound like fun. Looking forward to seeing more progress on your projects.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I have done some work on these as i said above and here are the pictures to prove it!  Not very interesting mind.... a lot of grey! I hope to do a bit more cleaning up and then either start painting these or start the Boston and get it to the same level as these... all aided by my purchases at Telford,  the highly recommended  (and actually very good) gator grip as the Boston has a lit more tricky glazing, my tamiya OD paint, and my pot of Mr hobby iron (cheers again for that ced).... I will not be using my minicraft lib.....

So here we are

22776983298_266e276101_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

This appease to be the only picture of the models prepared for primer, I am sure there were more??! Anyway I used a mix of tissue paper and blue tack... and then blasted them both with rattle can primer.

30919338896_4df16a7e01_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

The b 26, seams needed some work after the priming as did my poor spraying effort 

30919394296_da39f85bd5_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Also I knocked two bombs out...

30653520550_07a0a64da3_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

And then the only pic I have after micromeshing 

25319371109_3b3fd20f62_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

You will just have to take my word for its smoothness, as it doesn't look it there!

The b-25 was a bit more work, all of my own doing I must add! In my haste to get these sprayed I completely forgot to prep the seams! Fool

30955511355_148d6b03f1_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Stunning work Rob just stunning..... anyway they get a corse file and some micromeshing and apparently in better nick, but I think I will do more on them as this is supposed to be the NMF one!

Hmmm these pics are not there either... odd.... well I will update again at the end of the week I hope! Wish me luck

Rob

• Like 7

Hi Rob

Really enjoying following the builds, and get well soon.

Do you mine if I make a suggestion, would your 2 nippers prefer to build their own 1/72 Airfix Spitfire ?

I have a couple left over from a school build you can have for nothing and you get to keep your posher kits for yourself 

what do you say ?

Looking at the title of your build thread you have me beaten Mrs Jockney and I only have 2 sets of twins :banghead:

cheers Pat

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Rob

Really enjoying following the builds, and get well soon.

Do you mine if I make a suggestion, would your 2 nippers prefer to build their own 1/72 Airfix Spitfire ?

I have a couple left over from a school build you can have for nothing and you get to keep your posher kits for yourself 

what do you say ?

Looking at the title of your build thread you have me beaten Mrs Jockney and I only have 2 sets of twins :banghead:

cheers Pat

Pat that's incredibly kind of you! They will go nuts!  I will pm you. I am sure it was yourself I met at Telford in the macdonald kilt? If it was then it was a pleasure.

Twins X2! Good lord at least mine are little models, much less hassle. I am happy with my two little ones.... the wife is one of 8 and I think it's put her off big families :)

Cheers

Rob 

• Like 1

Talking of the little ones actually here is there work below!

30955532635_ec8ebdb5d1_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

The boys effort (4 1/2), now in his class room!

25318732539_3d404361a1_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

And the girls go (6). Grey was sprayed by me and I had to sort the engine necklace's, I also masked the stripes everything else done by her. It was part of her home work and she also did a write up on the pilot... I am told it is now making its way round the classes and se got 5 house point.... don't know what that equates to? Maybe it's like club card pins for school kids

Rob

• Like 8

Hi Rob

Great please PM me.

We had 4 under 4 for a while, some mates have tried to get me to write a book about it but I will get locked up if the social work guys read it.

My youngest son Dylan is a keen model builder and all of mine have had kit building inflicted on them over the years so its great to know you are carrying the tradition on with the rest of the Rob clan.

Make sure you post their builds, they get a great boost from positive comments.

ha ha just noticed you have done brilliant   :goodjob:

Apologies for hijacking your build thread

cheers Pat

oh PS sorry it's wasn't me in the kilt at Telford, I've never been, would love to go and do have a kilt....... now there's an idea !

• Like 1

Looking good Rob (apart from the missed seams!) :)

Good work from the Robettes too - although sacrificing a Cat seems possibly 'good parenting' gone too far you did mention to me that it was warped and awful so a good save. The Beau looks just the part, 5 points well deserved.

Glad you like the Gator's Grip and the iron stuff and very kind of Jockney (not Jockster who we saw in the kilt) to donate some Spits - top man!

• Like 1

That's the one Ced! Thanks for clearing that up.... Both delightful chaps it would appear!!

yes the cat was rather warped and had a lot of flash.... Just means I will have to save up for the academy one.... Oh no what a shame.....😃

Cheers for the comments chaps

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Rob, nice to see some more progress on these, they're looking to be well

on their way.

Good to see the nippers taking an interest, mine at that age weren't interested at all.

Got some of that Mr Hobby Iron myself at the Irish model show, love the smell.

Sean

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sean said:

Hi Rob, nice to see some more progress on these, they're looking to be well

on their way.

Good to see the nippers taking an interest, mine at that age weren't interested at all.

Got some of that Mr Hobby Iron myself at the Irish model show, love the smell.

Sean

Ha funny you should say that, it was passed around over coffee for everyone to get a nip of its odour.... We all agreed it could be addictive, however i think that's called solvent abuse so probably best not to go done that road.... I remember something about that being on Grange Hill and it didn't end well...

Rob

• Like 1

Ah yes, poor Zammo, but we are, of course, responsible adults.

I'm down half a jar already. I haven't actually painted anything,

I just stir it with a cocktail stick and sniff it 'til it dries out.

Sean

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sean said:

Ah yes, poor Zammo, but we are, of course, responsible adults.

I'm down half a jar already. I haven't actually painted anything,

I just stir it with a cocktail stick and sniff it 'til it dries out.

Sean

That made me howl!

So a small update! After seeing Tony's fine work I decided to bring us all back down to Earth with something much more mediocre.... my Boston interior. The pic's are really grainy and I have probably over weathered this so apologies but here they are

CP

30910626722_f2e40559b8_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

It doesn't look as patchy as that in real life honest! 

30910645572_21e9e1429d_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Masking tape seat belts

31017158606_615aa7ecae_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Bomb aimer floor.

And that's it so far, aim to have her buttonedup by the end of the week :)

Rob

• Like 8