I just caught up with this Rob.

All three are favourite aircraft, but I'm currently reading 'Marauder Man' and loving it. 

I had wondered what the Airfix was like as Im pretty sure I have one in the stash.

It looks great! 

Are you going to build wheels up? I was just thinking out loud as I don't think you put a nose weight in?

Great build choices and schemes :thumbsup2:

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

Cheers Ced, milliput is great stuff and pretty much my go to filler for most good sized gaps as there is no need to sand, just let it go a little bit off then rub with a wet finger! As for making things out of it it's great, like kids clay? But it does get rather sticky after being well worked in warm hands. Flymo might be the better option as you don't need to mix the two components first so less working?

cheers Tony, plan is to get all three to the priming stage then have a massive paint fest!!

cheers Tony (woah de ja vue....Tonytiger this time)  I will have to have a look for that! Rather fond of this AC it's a meaty thing, and quite handsome, especially as it's pretty much a high speed sausage.....

Rob

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I just caught up with this Rob.

All three are favourite aircraft, but I'm currently reading 'Marauder Man' and loving it. 

I had wondered what the Airfix was like as Im pretty sure I have one in the stash.

It looks great! 

Are you going to build wheels up? I was just thinking out loud as I don't think you put a nose weight in?

Great build choices and schemes :thumbsup2:

Best regards

Tony

Also Tony (tiger) I didn't answer your question about nose weight, sorry!

am told by airfix it's not needed, however if the aircraft is unbalanced then to attach the handy little ladder the provide to go into the bomb bay. 

Looking at it I don't think I will need weight or the tiny ladder as the main gear are quite far back in the bay when down and most of the internal detailing is forward or them.... So it looks like the weight will be sufficient..... I hope

both the others need about 12g if memory serves, which will be added using little balls (snigger)

Rob

• Like 2

Rob, That Marauder does look good for its age, I didn't know Airfix was putting interior detail in their kits that far back. Just curious, how does the Italeri B25 match up against the old Airfix kit, or would I be better off stumping up the silly money being asked for one of the Hasegawa or Revell boxes ?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bull-nut said:

Rob, That Marauder does look good for its age, I didn't know Airfix was putting interior detail in their kits that far back. Just curious, how does the Italeri B25 match up against the old Airfix kit, or would I be better off stumping up the silly money being asked for one of the Hasegawa or Revell boxes ?

Well, if can find the Revell they are normally a good price, or at least better than the Hase on price! The Italeri is fine, but internal detail is none existent! Raised details, but the are nice.....but it was £17 and came with a FW 190 and postage included. I have to say it's hard to get much choice in this variant in 1/72, the solid nose is much more prolific....

7 hours ago, JimmyZ said:

You moved it man! You'll be finished way before I finish it's little brother/sister I am building (Martin Maryland).

Cheers

Jimmy

Talking of interior detail!! Jimmy your putting more detail and work into its little sis than I will be into its big sis and cousins put together! If you were matching me and had yours buttoned up I would be depressed! 😃. Thanks for the comments, I am enjoying this one so far, just need to see what the other two have in store!!

Rob

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sean said:

Hi Rob, found you... Nice progress so far. Love the Airfix Marauder, it's a great kit for it's age

Sean

Sean! Great to have you along !

it is a cracker....life in the old dog yet!

Rob 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CliffB said:

Just catching up and it's looking great Rob.  It's nice to see that you are enjoying it so much too.  It's odd how some kits just tick all the boxes :)

Cheers cliff, I never built this kit as a kid but I did get a big pang of nostalgia when I was gluing the wings on... Maybe it's the join that's so familiar 😃.

update as soon as the tablet is charged!

Rob 

• Like 2

So last couple of nights have seen a little more progress, first off I got the wings on her, this is the pic that made me feel nostalgic. ... maybe it was having the kit out on the bed as I just wanted to build it or maybe just the kits age? Or the poor fit of the wings and gear bays ☺

29608593160_a824f99bb8_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

And a few pics of the wheel bays painted and dry fitted

29819429691_6208dc725a_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

29276346573_7eacbb3fbc_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

29608598740_3c6fb6e23c_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

As you can see, not amazing, only bad fit so far to be fair....

Also just to prove that I am still a child at heart....

29275566254_90d1d8b192_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

29819384891_fe0710c05f_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

29276157783_ed6a9848b7_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

29902608355_8f04f2dfb2_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

The turret actually turns a full 360 😀

FAO Ced.....do you want these? They are well moulded!

29275387724_21ef4aed6e_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Let me know and they are yours!

Any way here is tonight's work! Filling in all the gaps in the wing routes and gear bays. 

29608339850_f734b0804f_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Poor pic sorry..... the gaps were stuffed with milliput and then excess removed with the end of a paint brush and then smoothed with a wet finger.... no sanding! Will probably need to dig out a couple of panel lines but other than that all good.

Next was the masking, always fun! Looking at pictures the framing on the dome is a mix perspex and metal work joins so I masked them all off and will paint them all in. Turret will be perspex joins so have not been masked..... hope that makes sense

29788739352_607db24954_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

29276205603_bb2c92d538_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

29608317010_bce9345ede_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

So next up is filling wheel wells and bomb bay as well as covering guns and turret holes for a spray of primer!

Rob

• Like 11

Good progress there Rob and I like the turret!

You also seem to have mastered Milliput (SWIDT?), something I've yet to try.

I'd love to reduce the crew if you're not going to use them - PM sent!

• Like 2

What a great kit Rob and you're certainly doing it justice :thumbsup2: .

I have one in my 'distant' stash (storage) and I had thought to sell it and buy a Hasegawa, but not now!

It can stay in the stash, far more secure than before :) 

As you can see, an inspiring build.

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a couple of weeks if what can only be described as depressing work I have done nothing with these other than paint some green on the spruce of the Mitchell..... Yesterday I got into the store at 5am and didn't leave until 6:30pm yet I feel there has been little reward for the effort, in fact nothing but nagging and anxiety over my ability.... I am already done with talking about Christmas! I have come back tonight to a massive pizza and two big beers, this should help the mood and hopefully this week end I will get a little done?! Let's see!

i also need to order nose weights for the next two before they need closing up....

Rob

• Like 2

I'm in here  Like all three. I have the Marauder and was amazed how detailed it is for a 1960's kit. By far better than the Revell one. It doesn't stand behind the Hasegawa or Academy interieurs. The weakest point are the clear bits as usual for that period of time (Both Airfix and Revell). Italeri(e) still have the best clear parts. Cheers

• Like 1

Cheers both! I hope to actually have progress for you by Monday.

i masked and painted the Mitchell's nose today which will hopefully turn out ok... You just don't know until you take it off!

Rob 

• Like 3

Would you believe some modelling has happened! 

First off some scratch building... here is the finished article.

30134918042_d66a236e88_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

So I started by cutting lime to the right size to fit the glass then got the colour by mixing 3 shots of whisky to 5 parts ginger beer.... definitely looks like it will help with the modelling...

So a very little update on the marurder, wheels and bomb bay doors painted and washed

29632003610_51ed4e91ca_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

No I don't like the injection pin marks but what are you going to do eh!?..... oh you would have filled then, well that's you mister top modeller..... I have a deadline to reach and I am not good with them, just ask my boss! :D

And the wheel wells got a bit

29632000820_ca9b9c159d_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

And thanks to ced's great advice, tweezers were used to get the lost fin in place! 

29631988130_1e5ce7d9e2_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

....so that's where we are for now with the b-26 on to the Mitchell!

question was asked about the interior detail...

29299346403_87e8dbccce_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Lots to detail there to paint....and here is the rest of the detail

29891328386_be96561b17_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

29298634814_bc53a52942_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

It's not actually that bad considering the kit, and the plastic and other details is really rather nice! Any way in with the painting I suppose 

29842746641_3152d1c82f_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

30250216935_900d69f7bf_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

And in place!

Then a little bit of masking....love some masking

29811911742_833a255bfb_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

29619416384_18d23fca91_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Nose masked and the inside colour painted

30134928362_0c53922f61_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Canopy

30215069916_b5ae1eede5_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Rear gunner canopy

30215051136_9376775e8e_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Waist gunners

And that's where we are, need to think of how I want to represent the perspex framing/overlap thing, maybe mask and then matt coat?

I remember from my hurricane triple about the need of a bit of a group photo of the builds for clarity so now we are getting a good bit of progress under our belts I will start with a family photo

Cheers

Rob

• Like 8