Special Hobby buys Classic Airframes tooling and production rights

Homebee

Source: http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/message/1471298141/Special+Hobby+Buys+Classic+Airframes+Tooling+and+Production+Rights

Hi all,

In industry news, I have just heard from old friend Jules Bringuier that Special Hobbies has purchased all tools and production rights from Classic Airframes.

The transaction does not include the name.

There are still quite a few Classic Airframes kits that remain unique (or the best available) in 1/48 scale today, so I hope that we'll see some of our favourite CA kits back under the Special Hobby label soon.

Let's see, the Bf 109 A/B/C/D, Venom / Sea Venom and Gannet immediately pop to mind... we can only hope!

Bye for now,

Brett

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

Some have been superceded such as some Meteors, and the the Defiant. Hopefully this won't stop Pilot replicas producing their Vampires and Venoms. Early CA Bf109s will be welcome, as will the Gannet if they appear at prices below current E bay. Having said that when the Blenheims were re released recently via Hannants they retailed at £50. Still on sale with 10 in stock. https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CF4155

Think some of us are hoping Airfix upscale theirs.

Thanks, very good news !!!

I'll have to dig a bit to remember the whole CA range, but one comes easily to my mind, the Blenheim.

Don't forget the sexiest beast ever:

battle025.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 4

Great news. I was happy enough to get hold of many CA kits when they were still avilable - most were bought from sales. Special Hobby alrady released some CA kits before - I think the He-51 with floats is the CA kit. The DH Hornet from CA will be a nice addition, not without flaws it seems to be a good deal better than the Trumpyboss version. Same for the Vampire (the CA one had the cockpit position wrong - there was an Aeroclub correction set, but certainly better than the Chinese offering).

The Gannet would be nice (would maybe add another one) and the Meteors are not all superseeded - there where several two-seaters available.

I hope for the Venom and Sea Venom.

Hudson and Baltimore are two of my favorites from CA.

The AEW Gannet was never released, so no idea if the tooling was started. But it would be nice :-)

Here is a list:

https://www.scalemates.com/companies/company.php?id=217

René

Hmmm - Battle and Walrus would be nice..... :)

BillyD

Ah - right - the Walrus was also released by Special Hobby last year. How could I forget? I actually bought it. :banghead:

I would also like the Avro Anson with markings for Amy Johnsons last flight.

good news!

lets see what we will get!

did 2 CA kis recently (F-5B and Meteor MK7) nd was quite pleased!

especially the F-5B kit has by far nicer interior than the new Kinetic kit....

Quite a coincidence seeing as I started a thread asking if SH were going to do any Venoms. Not sure how good this is though as from what I've read CA kits can not only be challenging but have other issues too.

Plus SH seem to have become much more mainstream lately but CA kits are short run and have a lot of resin parts.

Hi

Ideal,

i know hannants did limited releases of some recently, blenheim is one i remember

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CF4155

but this is better news from special hobby :)

It would be nice it they bought up the FM range i.e. ( 1:48 halifax & hampden )

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

I would actually prefer if they did a new tool Hampden and Hallifax :-)

Or anybody else.

Still there are quite a lot of CA kits which would be great to see again. The list I sent before is not complete - may are missing like the Grumman Ducks (the later version was released by Merrit now, but not the earlier one) and the Canberras.

René

I never had the CA Canberra so I'll take your word for that! However, the Aeroclub Canberra was an (expensive) beauty!

The CA Canberra is way ahead of the Airfix one in surface detail and accuracy, also benefits from really nice resin parts. Of course, it is harder to build.

I think the Aeroclub is probably the most accurate but I'm not brave enough for that level of multimedia. I have seen it sell for £35 recently, on apar with current Airfix release.