1/144 - Handley-Page Hastings C.Mk.1/Mk.2 by MikroMir - released - new T.5 boxing

Homebee

4 hours ago, Paul J said:

The guy who showed me round asked if I knew of any pilots seats here in the UK.. they are needing one.

Couple up for sale on eBay right now  - Handley Page Hastings Pilot Seats - not sure what the postage would be to NZ...🤔

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

Can anyone tell me which mark this Hastings this is (I hope the link works!)

http://www.singas.co.uk/David_Thornton/48 Squadron Hastings over Changi.jpg

Hopefully it could be built from this kit.

The building at the end of the pier is the Changi Angling Club, where my family and I had thousands of hours of fun 1967-70!

Ray

• Like 3

I believe it's WJ337 which was a C.2.

It can't be built from this boxing as that comes with the high set tailplane, but it looks like it's molded in such a way that it might later come with the low set tailplane of the C.2

Lovely picture!

Edited by 71chally
Wrong info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 71chally said:

It can't be built from this boxing as that comes with the high set tailplane, but it looks like it's molded in such a way that it might later come with the low set tailplane of the C.2

Lovely picture!

Thanks for that, I will still get this boxing, and then hope!

Ray

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 4:43 PM, Adam Poultney said:

Ugh guess I'm spending more money...... I forgot about this kit, I need one! Or three.....

V bomber radar trainer Adam?🙃

Keith

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 71chally said:

The original posting of the runners showed two different tailplanes.  So a bit stronger than might?

• Like 2

On 04/05/2021 at 14:45, 71chally said:

I thought I saw two tailplane types, so looks like released in different boxings.

Hope so, I'm still waiting for a second box of the Victor with parts for a regular B1 which could very easily be done. And if there's two boxes of this kit... well I'll have to buy two Halifaxes then 

On 5/5/2021 at 1:45 AM, 71chally said:

I thought I saw two tailplane types, so looks like released in different boxings.

The Sprue shots from the Feb 17 posting definitely showed two tail plane types, on what appeared to be as common sprue but easy enough to snip, the later sprue shot, April 29th of the C.1 kit only showed the one tail plane type so yes, it looks like the different versions will have specific tail plane sprues. I'll wait on a C.2

Steve.

On 5/3/2021 at 9:29 PM, 71chally said:

Lovely picture!

Not true as the sprues inclide tails and parts for a C.1, C,2 and T.5

We can't be sure whether or not the runners that come with each molding will be identical,  or adjusted before production.  I think from the way they re set out it would be easier to include all the parts in each boxing. but we'll find out nearer the day.

4 hours ago, AMB said:

Not true as the sprues inclide tails and parts for a C.1, C,2 and T.5

According to the pictures 29 April, this C.1/T.5 boxing doesn't include both tailplanes.

The company have made both tailplane types, as shown in an earlier picture, but as pointed out by SteveNZ they appear to have made them so that they come in alternative boxings.

4 minutes ago, 71chally said:

According to the pictures 29 April, this C.1/T.5 boxing doesn't include both tailplanes.

The company have made both tailplane types, as shown in an earlier picture, but as pointed out by SteveNZ they appear to have made them so that they come in alternative boxings.

I really do wish model companies wouldn't do that. Yes, I know they want to make more money, but that tends to put off some modelers, and I'm one of them. I recall many years ago the Monogram P-38 Lightning kit wherein you could produce one of four different versions and there were decals for each one. That was great then and I'm confident such a practice would be equally well received now. Believe me, those who want to build one of the alternate versions will go out and buy yet another kit.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 9:03 PM, 71chally said:

The tailplanes on the C.1 and T.5 were the same. It was the C.2 that had the lower and larger tailplane.  It is only the addition of the ventral radome that differentuates the T.5 from the C.,1, so any version can be made and only the decals will be different.  

Edited by AMB

4 hours ago, AMB said:

The tailplanes on the C.1 and T.5 were the same. It was the C.2 that had the lower and larger tailplane.  It is only the addition of the ventral radome that differentuates the T.5 from the C.,1, so any version can be made and only the decals will be different.  

I think you are missunderstanding me here, I know all that you say there, but as shown in the pictures by Mikromir, you will only get the relevant tailplane type for the boxing that is released, ie this boxing is for the C.1/T.5 so you will only get the C.1 tailplane.  That is what the original question was about, could a C.2 be built from this C.1/T.5 boxing.

It might be that Mikromir will change their approach to this but this is judging from their photos of the boxing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/144 - Handley-Page Hastings C.Mk.1/Mk.2 by MikroMir - released
  • 2 weeks later...

My Hastings arrived today! I ordered it direct from Ukraine from UA Hobby for $28.95 + $6.90 shipping (including tracking). So about £25.50 including postage. Not sure what the retail price will be in the UK but it I'm happy enough - It arrived well packaged, shrink wrapped inside and out and took about 10 days.

It looks a tidy little kit nestled in it's box. This particular boxing represents a C.1A so as predicted only provides the mark 1's high set tailplane although it does have the ventral radome for the Hastings T.5 if anyone wants to build this version. I was planning on doing a C.1A of 48 Squadron with external tanks so I'm happy - although I'll have to do my own markings unless a set from Xtradecal is on the cards. However all is not lost as there is a nice little kit decal sheet with the Transort Command flash - although the blue is arguably too light - could represent a faded machine and so it is maybe OK in the absence anything better.  Only one aircraft is represented in 2 schemes: Hastings C.1A TG527, 36 Squadron, RAF Transport Command, RAF Colerne 1966 (standard Transport Command colours) and the same aircraft at RAF Colerne in 1963 (with day-glo panels on tail, nose and wings like the kit boxart - although not TG505 as actually depicted on it :confused:).  So worth noting that this aircraft is not a Hastings T.5. 

Hopefully it will look good on my RAF Changi apron  in company with MikroMir's Bev and Argosy (and wouldn't a Short Belfast C1 look super....)🙂

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 5

Mine arrived from UA Hobby too - I think they must have been posted on the same day!

You beat me to it, but I'll second everything you said. It looks really nice. I have most of Mikromir's RAF kits and this is the most refined one I've seen.

- I agree the decal cheat line is a bit bright but it's fine.

- The cockpit is pretty decently populated and the overall surface detail looks really nice.

- I fear the cabin windows will be a bit tricky to insert - I suspect quite a lot of fiddly fiddling to do that, carpet monster waiting at heel, mouth wide.

- I also notice it comes with cargo doors separated and the cargo door panel is thinned on the fuselage inside so you could pose this open. I couldn't see any cabin interior though so this would either have to be scratched or perhaps will be included in the next boxing (presumably in the T5?).

- I like that many of the sprue attachment points are offset to help cleanup - you don't find many short-run kits that bother to do that in this scale.

- location pins are great. Fairly new for Mikromir I think - I can't recall whether the Victor had them or not, but certainly the earlier kits had nothing of the sort. I'm limping over towards the finishing line with the Valiant - which is how I know!

- which reminds me, these instructions are really clear (the Valiant instructions are slightly mystifying in places).

If anyone wants to do a Kiwi Hastings, OldModelsDecals do some - https://www.oldmodelsdecals.com/RNZAF-45-57.html I'd like to do a Malaya-based one so will need to sort out my own decals I think.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ajmm said:

- location pins are great. Fairly new for Mikromir I think - I can't recall whether the Victor had them or not, but certainly the earlier kits had nothing of the sort. I'm limping over towards the finishing line with the Valiant - which is how I know!

The Victor doesn't have them

2 hours ago, RichG said:

unless a set from Xtradecal is on the cards.

I'm still waiting for anyone to do a Victor B1 sheet that isn't 1/72 to go with Mikromir's 1/144 Victor B1 (you can only make a B1 through a somewhat rare conversion set in that scale)

2 hours ago, ajmm said:

I also notice it comes with cargo doors separated and the cargo door panel is thinned on the fuselage inside so you could pose this open.

Ah yes. I missed that on first inspection, but see it now and the door & panel parts themselves are quite delicately rendered - almost see through. I also note that these parts have been blanked out on the instruction sheet, so I think they must be intended for use in another version or boxing. Perhaps one including a cargo floor or full interior with passenger seats or fitted for paratroops; perhaps a Suez or Berlin Airlift aircraft? If so I would definitely be in the market for another one.

Rich

On 5/10/2021 at 7:19 PM, 71chally said:

I think you are missunderstanding me here, I know all that you say there, but as shown in the pictures by Mikromir, you will only get the relevant tailplane type for the boxing that is released, ie this boxing is for the C.1/T.5 so you will only get the C.1 tailplane.  That is what the original question was about, could a C.2 be built from this C.1/T.5 boxing.

It might be that Mikromir will change their approach to this but this is judging from their photos of the boxing.

Is this speculation, or do you have this kit in hand?  Looking at the sprues, BOTH tailplanes are on the same sprue.

Edited by AMB