classic 1950's air show photos

72modeler

What an amazing selection of pictures.  Realy took me back to the 1950's when I had just started 'spotting'.  On a much smaller scale, it took me back to the 'Open Days' that we had at RAF Burtonwood, those realy were the days.  Thank you very much.   Robin.

I love the fact that almost every fighter has steps beside it so that the public could peer into the cockpit. I can never see that happening again in my lifetime, what with 'elf & safety plus security. Those pictures are from happier, simpler days.

7 hours ago, Robin said:

What an amazing selection of pictures.  Realy took me back to the 1950's when I had just started 'spotting'.  On a much smaller scale, it took me back to the 'Open Days' that we had at RAF Burtonwood, those realy were the days.  Thank you very much.   Robin.

Any photos you'd be able to share Robin!? 

20 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Any photos you'd be able to share Robin!? 

17 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thank you both.

Unfortunately, it was a long time ago that I was a regular visitor to Burtonwood, however RR, your link to the reports from Burtonwood was a great reminder.  Although I remember attending the Open Days and taking pictures of the aircraft, (I think it was a Box Brownie type of camera), the pictures have long gone missing, together with my 'spotting' logs, although I am sure that they are somewhere in the house.  I do remember taking pictures of the F100s F84s F86s WB50s Hunter Javalin, and of course the Beaver with the notice taped on the side, and of course the rain, the funny thing that sticks in my mind is that the USAF Military Polices wore an elasticated plastic cover over their hats to keep the rain off.  My visits to Burtonwood ended in 1960 when I was conscripted into the Royal Air Force as one of the last few National Servicemen to enter the RAF.  I spent most of my 2 years Service at RAF Hendon, and as I was still a keen 'spotter' and a member of the MGAE, I continued to provide reports for their newsletter on my very regular visits to London Air Port.  That however is another life.

Robin.    

• Thanks 1