classic 1950's air show photos

72modeler

I just stumbled onto this collection of classic 50's era photos of USAF, USN, and USMC aircraft. Some very colorful and unusual schemes as well as aircraft for which there aren't a lot of good color photos, and I wanted to share them with you. Enjoy!

Mike

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23032926@N05/sets/72157628027548881/page1/

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the link Mike - some great stuff there.

I was intrigued by the photo of a C-123 with wing mounted floats - never seen that before - so I Googled 'C-123 Pantobase' - fascinating!

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=c-123+pantobase&FORM=HDRSC2

Plus a TF-86 Sabre....and the XF-91 Thunderceptor - behind the YRF-84F FICON prototype.

Fantastic images!

Ken

• Like 1

Wonderful trip down memory lane.

Almost makes me want to build 50's USAF / USN / USMC / ARMY types again.

I do quite like the Army Otter and Beaver plus the Harpoon.

What a superb collection - thanks for sharing ! Would've loved to download the NM A4D-1...

I'm usually quite good at aircraft identification, but - what's that behind the YRF-84F, with tandem main u/c, and two giant pods just inboard of them ?

And the needle nosed thing (of which only the nose can be seen) in the pic of the NF-80 - XF-88 ? Or what thingy had 6 .50s in the extreme nose, and was extant in '57 or 8 (as the NF-80 has a FY 47 serial, and the O prefix) ?

very interesting!

thanks!

also hardly any camuflage... some navy blue and some grey, bu in general natural metal!

would hae been definitely an interesting time then! (aviation wise)

What a superb collection - thanks for sharing ! Would've loved to download the NM A4D-1...

I'm usually quite good at aircraft identification, but - what's that behind the YRF-84F, with tandem main u/c, and two giant pods just inboard of them ?

And the needle nosed thing (of which only the nose can be seen) in the pic of the NF-80 - XF-88 ? Or what thingy had 6 .50s in the extreme nose, and was extant in '57 or 8 (as the NF-80 has a FY 47 serial, and the O prefix) ?

IIRC, it's an F-89A. If you do a web search for F-89A, you can find several photos. The A models had six 20mm cannon, as seen- a very rare photo indeed!

Mike

Definitely concur with that being an F-89A. Some great prototypes there including the first Thunderceptor.

One of my favourite shots is the Marines HRS-1 with the tactical looking camouflage scheme extending to the wheels, make a great modelling subject.

It's sometimes forgotten that US Navy aircraft were finished in natural metal and silver lacquer for a short period in the early to mid 1950s, this set shows this well.

• 2 years later...

Cracking photos there! Good ID skills test too. 

Does anyone know what the twin-prop Navy bird is in the photo after the EC-121s and before the Globemaster? 

Edited by Lord Riot

38 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Cracking photos there! Good ID skills test too. 

Does anyone know what the twin-prop Navy bird is in the photo after the EC-121s and before the Globemaster? 

It's the North American  AJ Savage

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I've just seen this Mike @72modeler. Some great machines there. Clearly a lot of Wright-Patterson mschines but what unit is the double triangle of red and orange? 

Martin

Martin,

The red & yellow triangle badge is that of Wright-Patt ARDC.

• Thanks 2

Hello 72 Modeler,

You really made my day with your entree.

Thank you so much for sharing these pics with us.

Regards, Orion.

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

twin-prop and one jet, the AJ-1 had an Allison J-33 stuffed in its tail end aswel!

• Like 1