How many of you have Wingnut Wings kits in your stash? and Why if not

Beardie

278 members have voted

1. 1. How many Wingnut Wings kits in your stash?

• The complete range
    • A considerable number
    • One just to see what they're like/try them out
    • None not interested in WWI subjects
    • None they are too expensive
    • None rigging puts me off bi-planes
    • None they are too big
    • None but becoming very tempted
    • Would love them all but not financially possible

Quiet Mike, see if you can get a hold of the Meng 1/32 Fokker Triplane, that is an ex-WNW designed kit and may be more readily available to you. It will show you what all the buzz is about, and you can directly compare it to a 1/32 Roden Fokker Triplane. Regards, Pete in RI.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PDH said:

Ok, confession time .... I have 61 WNW kits in the stash.

Oh well done. that is impressive

Know what you mean about SABLE but its so hard to resist sometimes isnt it?

• Like 1

Although I have never even bought any, I do have a nice collection of these fine models. I got themall as a gift by Peter Jackson himself, while I built full size aircraft for TVALs collection. Funny story altogether.

Unfortunately I only have this image of some of them at hand right now.

spacer.png

• Like 10

I have 5 in the stash, 1 coming from Sprue Bros' recent restock and 2 built. Several were gifts from a friend trying to convince me to try rigging and biplanes. I guess he was somewhat successful.

Carl

• Like 1

Well thanks to you there’s a mengnut Dr.1 heading my way now.  Looking forward to seeing what’s in the box. 😊

On 17/12/2022 at 01:28, europapete said:

Quiet Mike, see if you can get a hold of the Meng 1/32 Fokker Triplane, that is an ex-WNW designed kit and may be more readily available to you. It will show you what all the buzz is about, and you can directly compare it to a 1/32 Roden Fokker Triplane. Regards, Pete in RI.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, europapete said:

Ooohhh...Achim, THAT is a nice collection! The Gotha is an awesome kit. Your full size Aeroplanes are Masterpieces, After I win the lottery, your number will be on speed-dial lol. Regards, Pete in RI

You are most welcome. However your call and chat would be welcome even without a lotery win!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Longbow said:

I have no affiliation with Andy's Hobby Headquarters, but an advert on his site reports a full container of Wingnut Wings kits arriving at his location, this week. 

They are processing the arrival at the moment. 

Do they sell outside of the US?  I can't get anything locally down here in Australia.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Putty Animal said:

Do they sell outside of the US?  I can't get anything locally down here in Australia.

I know there is a Mid-East or European location, but can't give you a definitive answer on that, sorry !!

I know they do ship internationally. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Some years back, never mind exactly how many, Wingnut Wings came into the world, and I loved them.  They were everything I wanted in a WWI Aeroplane kit, save one thing, the scale.  Oh, their initial offerings were grand!  Such fabulous choices and with a dearth of markings for them.  Fantastic kits that built up so well, but just too big for my humble collection of built kits.  See, I'm a 1/48th man, and while many who are blame Aurora (as I sometimes do myself), the real culprit for me was Mr. Bill Koster, and that Siemens-Schuckert kit.  Yes, sure, there are the occasional dalliances into 1/72 for a challenge, and a Revell 1/28 kit here and there in some sort of attempt to recapture the dayz of my yoof, but the commitment to 1/48 is strong in this one.  Wingnut Wings sorely tempted that many times over the years.  Many, many times!  I dreamed that at some point Mr. Jackson would see the profitability available to him and allow some WNW employee to take all that 1/32 goodness and distill it down into a smaller 1/48 brother, but alas, twas not to be.  Monies left on the table, lost to the dust of history it would seem.  And so, the 1/32 range, kept growing, and growing over the years, and the aftermarket decal enablers only added more fuel to the pyre burning in my soul.  "It's right in front of you, all you have to do it reach out and take it!" was what these flames of desire were calling me to to, and WNW did this themselves with all those beautiful Albatros (and others) sheets.  On occasion I would see some wonderful builds by Greg Crawford in the display cases at Brookhurst, and they really seemed to call to me and say "I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair in my onethirtysecondness"  O the pain!  How much longer could I hold out?  But sadly now, the maelstrom is passed.  It appears that they have decided to diminish and go into the west, and thus not hold mere mortals like myself in thrall any longer.

I have no Wingnut Wings kits in my stash.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bronzemeister said:

Some years back, never mind exactly how many, Wingnut Wings came into the world, and I loved them.  They were everything I wanted in a WWI Aeroplane kit, save one thing, the scale.  Oh, their initial offerings were grand!  Such fabulous choices and with a dearth of markings for them.  Fantastic kits that built up so well, but just too big for my humble collection of built kits.  See, I'm a 1/48th man, and while many who are blame Aurora (as I sometimes do myself), the real culprit for me was Mr. Bill Koster, and that Siemens-Schuckert kit.  Yes, sure, there are the occasional dalliances into 1/72 for a challenge, and a Revell 1/28 kit here and there in some sort of attempt to recapture the dayz of my yoof, but the commitment to 1/48 is strong in this one.  Wingnut Wings sorely tempted that many times over the years.  Many, many times!  I dreamed that at some point Mr. Jackson would see the profitability available to him and allow some WNW employee to take all that 1/32 goodness and distill it down into a smaller 1/48 brother, but alas, twas not to be.  Monies left on the table, lost to the dust of history it would seem.  And so, the 1/32 range, kept growing, and growing over the years, and the aftermarket decal enablers only added more fuel to the pyre burning in my soul.  "It's right in front of you, all you have to do it reach out and take it!" was what these flames of desire were calling me to to, and WNW did this themselves with all those beautiful Albatros (and others) sheets.  On occasion I would see some wonderful builds by Greg Crawford in the display cases at Brookhurst, and they really seemed to call to me and say "I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair in my onethirtysecondness"  O the pain!  How much longer could I hold out?  But sadly now, the maelstrom is passed.  It appears that they have decided to diminish and go into the west, and thus not hold mere mortals like myself in thrall any longer.

I have no Wingnut Wings kits in my stash.

You alright mate?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 19/11/2022 at 18:58, Quiet Mike said:

I got back into modelling just as the Wingnut Wings bubble burst 😭  My favourite era of aviation by far, but a number of factors stopped me getting their kits. Main being I felt I lacked the experience to do them justice. And a few years later that still applies! But I'm getting there slowly ... Also I've never had that much disposable income to invest in these quality kits. I'm just hoping that when I feel like I've got the necessary skills they are still available, and not eye wateringly expensive. 🤞

Exactly the same - every word! I literally got back into modelling after a 40-year gap 3 months after they stopped - what timing. I guess the cause was the same in both cases - I was attracted to start modelling again by the lockdown and they were put out of business, at least in part, by Covid. And now I would love to have all their German kits (I only make German and A-H ones, because try as I might I can't get worked up about PC-10). But with my budget and supply issues what they are I would be likely to end up with about 4 of them, which isn't really worth bothering with. So for now I will stick with 1/48, maybe buy one or two of them if I can afford it, and hope that they come back big time. Doesn't seem too likely though!

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Joined the Dark Side, I have. It is Glorious.

y4mrifpXJts1_ijB42W1tE49To-sMBIJ_Cy3qv_5

Excellent choice. I'm currently reading Flying Minnows, and as always when reading WW1 accounts, the urge to build their machines is very strong. I noticed one on ebay at the weekend but I was already priced out at £150,* and it was only going up. Now looking at 1/48 options 😉

*Just checked, sold for £201.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

No other options except 'the whole range' or 'a considerable number' ?

I only have six......

Tempted to buy all seven of the German ones that MBK have in stock, but that would cost €1421 and I'd kinda like to stay married...

Edited by sidevalve

On 04/01/2017 at 23:54, Sandbagger said:

1:32 scale total so far:

32 WingNut Wings (7 built)

4 Roland

1 Acadamy

2 Special Hobby

I should live long enough to build them all !!!

IMG_0067_zpshqpckfkq.jpg

I am intrigued by what you mean by 'Roland' - from the context it reads as if you mean the kit manufacturer rather than the aircraft manufacturer, but I have never heard of Roland kits - am I missing something?

11 minutes ago, sidevalve said:

Tempted to buy all seven of the German ones that MBK have in stock, but that would cost €1421 and I'd kinda like to stay married...

Must.......resist.....the Felixstowe......

Too bloody big and I don't know a thing about them.....

But it's so..........BIG!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

I've seen quite a few at shows and they've always been showstoppers, but, you know what? The Roden Felixstowes look just as showstopping. Just smaller. And you can fit more than 1/2 into a display cabinet.................

Just saying, like.

Paul.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

Yes, the one with the red stripes in particular would look pretty amazing. But €323...

• Like 1